• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Goff named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for Week 13

Jared Goff named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for Week 13

Stu Jackson

STAFF WRITER

Rams QB Jared Goff has been named NFC Offensive Player of the Week following his performance against the Cardinals in Week 13, the NFL announced Wednesday.

Goff completed 32 of 43 pass attempts for 424 yards and two touchdowns in Los Angeles' 34-7 win at Arizona, marking the fourth time in his career he has throw for more than 400 yards in a game. He tallied 323 of those yards by halftime, the first time he's thrown for 300 or more yards in a half in his career. His 169 passing yards in the first quarter set a new season-best, topping 85 in Week 8 against the Bengals.

This is the third NFC Offensive Player of the Week honor for the former Cal standout, who last received it following his Week 4 performance against the Vikings in 2018.

Goff is the second Ram to earn NFC Player of the Week honors this season, joining DT Aaron Donald.

Wow, who would have thought.

I look forward to a semblance of consistency ... Goff and entire offense (based on Wk 13).

Go RAMS ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post
      Wow, who would have thought.

I look forward to a semblance of consistency ... Goff and entire offense (based on Wk 13).

Go RAMS ! ! !
      Exactly. Consistency is the key.

Comment

Certainly worthy of the honor.

Caught an interesting factoid on Good Morning Football today concerning Jared Goff's 2019 performance. Peter Schrager pointed out that despite the disappointment Rams fans felt about our loss to Seattle earlier this year (Zeurlein's missed FG, in case anyone forgot), Jared Goff engineered perhaps his best drive of the year or perhaps career getting the Rams down the field to be in the position to even attempt the FG. He completed 5/6 consecutive passes under a ferocious pass rush.

Would love to see a repeat this Sunday in LA. We ain't dead yet!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
          Goff Continues To Prove Me Right, Which Is Not Good News For Goff
          by r8rh8rmike
          Jared Goff continues to prove me right, which is not good news for Jared Goff

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Nov 14, 2019, 11:00am PST

Weeks ago on the Goofballs podcast, I told my co-hosts and our guest that I believed Jared Goff was a bad quarterback. Not a mediocre quarterback. Not an average quarterback. Not an above-average quarterback. And definitely not a good or great quarterback. I said that Goff was a bad quarterback, bottom five, and I bet them that by the end of the 2021 season that the LA Rams would actually be moving on from Goff.

I may have to amend that to the 2020 season. Or sooner.

Keep in mind that this was on September 11, the first week of the 2019 NFL season — and I was ridiculed for my beliefs, or more accurately my disbeliefs, in Jared Goff. I was laughed at, had my football opinions publicly* disparaged, and told that even if Goff may not be in the top five, he was certainly not bad and was probably quite good.

Now who’s laughing? Seahawks fans. And me. I mean, of course it is me. The rest of the world is now seeing it: Jared Goff IS bad.

After reaching the Pro Bowl in each of the last two seasons — making him one, and probably soon to be two Pro Bowls shy of the career mark for Derek Carr if that helps you contextualize the importance of two Pro Bowls — is sitting right around the bottom five for all quarterbacks in 2019.

If we consider his “career” to just be the Sean McVay years, then Goff is posting a career-low in completion percentage, touchdown percentage, yards per attempt, passer rating, QBR, and is on pace to throw 16 interceptions.

Out of 34 qualified quarterbacks this season, Goff ranks 30th in completion percentage, 31st in touchdown percentage, 23rd in INT%, t15th in Y/A, 29th in passer rating, and 29th in QBR.

The bottom-five in QBR, which has 33 qualified players at FootballOutsiders instead of the 34 at PFR, is Goff, Andy Dalton, Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky, and Marcus Mariota. The only one of those QBs who has not been benched, or in danger of being benched, at some point this season, is Allen. Goff’s QBR is 39.5. Eli Manning’s QBR before he was benched for Daniel Jones — who is also playing better than Goff — was 39.1.

Over his last five games, Allen has thrown seven touchdowns, one interception, and rushed for 144 yards and three touchdowns. He’s also fumbled six times and completed fewer than 60% of his passes, but Allen is a second-year quarterback for the Buffalo Bills and trending in the opposite direction of Goff.

Over Goff’s last five games, he is completing 56%, five touchdowns, three interceptions, a rating of 82.6, and he has no scrambling/rushing ability. The Rams have lost four of their last six games, the Bills have won three of their last five.

Per Pro-Football-Reference’s advanced stats, Goff does lead the NFL in one category at least:...
          -11-15-2019, 01:32 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          NFC West Q&A: Does Jared Goff make the Rams a title contender?
          by r8rh8rmike
          NFC West Q&A: Does Jared Goff make the Rams a title contender?

7:34 AM PT

Nick Wagoner ESPN Staff Writer

Today's question: The Los Angeles Rams believed they were a quarterback away from turning the corner and becoming a contender. Now that they have Jared Goff, does the rest of the NFC West agree?

Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: Yes, but with a caveat. Goff will need two or three seasons to be the type of quarterback who can take the Rams to the next level. As long as the team keeps its defense together, Los Angeles can have a contender by 2018. The Rams have a defensive nucleus -- with Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn and Alec Ogletree -- that complements Goff. Even with Quinn and Ogletree coming off injury, the Rams allowed the third-fewest touchdowns in the NFL, while forcing 20 fumbles and recovering 11 -- both the sixth most in the NFL. And that stout defense recorded 41 sacks last season -- the most in the NFC West. Six of their nine losses were by two touchdowns or less, and of those six, four were by less than a touchdown. Goff can be the difference there. So, Goff has the defensive infrastructure to win. And on offense, he has a ton of young talent led by Todd Gurley. Complementing Gurley will be running back Tre Mason and wide receiver Tavon Austin. The talent is there, and Gurley can take some of the pressure off Goff, but the Rams need a captain to guide their ship.

Paul Gutierrez, San Francisco ***** reporter: On the bright side for the *****, at least the NorCal-SoCal rivalry is born again with the Rams being rechristened as the Los Angeles Rams. But unless that new quarterback is a reincarnation of Vince Ferragamo, the only QB to take the L.A. Rams to a Super Bowl, how does this change things for them? Granted, the strength of the Rams is their defense in general, Aaron Donald in particular. So they donít necessarily need Goff to be Kurt Warner, the only QB to win a Super Bowl for the franchise (in St. Louis). Keep in mind, Jeff Fisher is still the coach and the next time he guides the Rams to a winning record will be the first. In fact, he has had only two seasons where his team has won more than eight games since 2004, and that was in Tennessee. Indeed, Fisher is 3-4-1 with the Rams against the *****. Yes, Goff was the No. 1 overall draft pick for a reason, and there will be some serendipity going on with his first official NFL pass completion in the Ninersí home; Goffís father, Jerry, got his first MLB hit for the Montreal Expos in the Ninersí previous home, Candlestick Park, in 1990. Goff the younger should be the least of the rebuilding Ninersí problems in 2016.

Sheil Kapadia, Seattle Seahawks reporter: The Rams ranked 29th in offensive efficiency last season. Finding a quarterback is a step in the right direction, but that assumes they will successfully develop Goff into a quality starter. And even if that happens, itís likely to take two...
          -06-21-2016, 10:34 AM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. 49ers after clearing concussion protocol
          by r8rh8rmike
          Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. 49ers after clearing concussion protocol

3:53 PM PT
          Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff has cleared concussion protocol and is set to start against the San Francisco 49ers on Saturday. Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015, will replace Case Keenum as the backup so the Rams can get a closer look at him before the season ends, interim coach John Fassel confirmed.

Goff, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick, entered concussion protocol after absorbing a vicious hit from Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman late in last Thursday's 24-3 loss in Seattle. But Goff practiced in full over the past two days and said he felt fine all along.

He never wanted to come out of the game in the first place.

"It was just a regular hit," Goff said. "I got up, went back to the huddle, and I hear the official blowing the whistle, 'You've got to get off the field.' I'm like, 'Why?' They said it was just the protocol. I don't want to go back too much to last Thursday, but I just think it's kind of tough.

"If that's a playoff game, or if that's a bigger situation, the game's close, you take the starting quarterback off the field, it's, in my opinion -- and I know they're trying to take care of us, but in my opinion -- not really a very good reason. I don't know how fair it is."

Goff nonetheless won't miss any time, despite absorbing way too many hits in his five-game NFL career.

The 22-year-old has taken 14 sacks in the past four weeks alone. In Week 14, he was sandwiched on a very late touchdown run in an eventual 42-14 blowout loss against the Atlanta Falcons. In Week 15, Sherman got the best of him. With nine minutes left, Goff avoided pressure and ran 15 yards up the sidelines, getting two yards away from the pylon before Sherman knocked him out of bounds.

"If I had seen him, I probably would've gone out of bounds," Goff said. "Didn't see him, kind of came out of nowhere. He made a hell of a play after watching it. He came from all the way on the other side of the field."

Goff will finally get a chance to play against his hometown team, after being inactive when the Rams opened their season against the 49ers in Santa Clara, California. Goff nonetheless called it "just another game to us," saying he is merely hopeful of getting his first win and continually improving.

Five games in, Goff sports a dreadful 24.6 Total QBR, completing 54.7 percent of his passes, averaging 5.5 yards per attempt and throwing four touchdowns to five interceptions.

A lot of the fault lies in receivers who have dropped too many passes and an offensive line that is allowing too much pressure, but Goff himself has also missed an assortment of throws he should make and is still adjusting to the speed...
          -12-22-2016, 07:07 PM
        • RamDez
          Jared Goff has appreciation for Drew Brees
          by RamDez
          According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, there have been only 21 NFL quarterbacks who managed to play into their 40s. Saints quarterback Drew Brees became the 21st this year.

If there is a standard to follow when it comes to enduring careers at one of the league’s most visible positions, Brees isn’t a bad example. Just ask Rams QB Jared Goff.

“I think I’ve talked about this, but, the first time we played them, you’re kind of in awe of playing Drew Brees and everything that goes along with it when I was a rookie – how great he is, how great his career has been,” Goff said.

Between the regular season and playoffs, Sunday’s 1:25 p.m. PT home opener at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum will mark the fifth time Brees and Goff have faced each other in their respective careers.

In the first meeting in 2016, Goff was making just his second career start. The Saints won 49-21, while Goff completed 20 of 32 pass attempts for 214 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.

The second meeting in 2017 saw the Rams bounce back with a 26-20 win at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Goff completed 28 of 43 for 354 yards with two touchdowns and one interception, and his passing yardage at the time fell one shy of tying his then-career high for a single game.

While Brees held a 2-1 advantage in the series following New Orleans’ 45-35 regular-season win over Los Angeles in 2018, he had seen enough heading into January’s NFC Championship to know exactly what kind of quarterback Goff was developing into.

“He’s just tremendous,” Brees told reporters on Jan. 16. “There’s not many guys that are just better pure passers, throwers. You watch what they do with their offense. There are a lot of moving parts and I think he handles it very, very well. I think he creates great timing and rhythm in the passing game and obviously he had a phenomenal season last year, but he’s had an even better season this year. Future is really bright for him.”
          -09-12-2019, 03:06 PM
        • Rambos
          No. 1 Overall Pick Jared Goff Named Backup QB For Week 2
          by Rambos
          No. 1 Overall Pick Jared Goff Named Backup QB For Week 2

September 16, 2016 2:30 PM

(Photo Credit: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) ó No. 1 overall pick in this yearís NFL Draft Jared Goff was named inactive for the Ramsí season opener, but Friday he got a promotion to second string QB, according to head coach Jeff Fisher.
          Goff will be backing up starting QB Case Keenum Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.
          Earlier in the week, Fisher hinted that L.A. fans might see Goff in pads this weekend, but he didnít offer any further details.

After the Rams were embarrassed last Monday against the *****, in which the offense was shut out and Keenum looked less than satisfactory, changes on the offensive side of the ball were widely expected.
          Fisher did state that he has no plans to change his starting QB for Sundayís return to L.A., but activating Goff shows how the rookie has quickly improved in such a short period of time.
          If Keenum puts together another abysmal performance against the Seahawks, however, things could get interesting....
          -09-16-2016, 04:20 PM
        Working...
        X