I Think It Warrants Mentioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think It Warrants Mentioning

Many of us have posted a large number of criticisms of the performance of Jared Goff, particularly this year, with adequate reasons. However having just watched the Philadelphia Eagles lose to the Sqawks after Carson Wentz, making his first post-season start went down with a head injury, likely a concussion. I couldn't help thinking that any QB with a strong arm, great defensive scheme reads great judgement skills is of little value if he's unable to be on the field. Jared Goff hasn't missed a start due to injury throughout his career.

Now I am not saying Wentz has caused these problems for himself, but fate plays a role here and we should be very pleased that our QB has been there for us. I know I am having endured the Sam Bradford era where we were lost in the desert for years.

While I am on ranting mode, how great was it to see the Saints lose on a non-call pass interference play. I know GC strongly dislikes Pete Carroll and I share that sentiment, are you listening GC? I feel that way about Sean Payton who I see as a smug crybaby. I also will never respect a coach who allows the BountyGate scandal to exist in his locker room. He should have banished forever, along with Gregg Williams.

I don't like sean payton either and i agree with your assessment that he is constantly whining. I will never let him off the hook for his classless behavior after last years nfc title game. He can complain as much as he wants about the non-call on robey coleman, IF and ONLY IF, he wants to explain the non-call on the facemask on goff at the goal line a few plays before that should have given us a first and goal inside the one instead of the field goal. That non-call was equally offensive or worse. A pass interference call is always a bang bang play. Watch the replay and tell me how the refs missed a guy grabbing on goffs facemask and almost yanking his head off.

Have i mentioned recently that i hate pete carroll?

How bizzare is it to say that kirk cousins outplayed drew brees.

I agree wentz and his injury history, but today was a disgrace. Completely LATE and DIRTY hit by clowney. In a college game, a penalty and an ejection for targeting. Leading with the head and hitting him in the helmet. A classless pete carroll endorsed play. Clowney should be suspended for next week.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Who says we can't still enjoy the playoffs? (^_^)

And good points MDE about Wentz / Goff.

Comment

First, to be completely objective, the Saints had every right to complain after last year's non-call. It was horrendous, and anyone here who claims we Rams fans wouldn't have been equally outraged had the shoe been on the other foot is simply being a homer. What was totally over the top, however, was the endless media-driven nonsense about a fan-generated lawsuit over the game, the refusal to acknowledge the egregious facemask on Goff and all the Rams did to win that game (tying drive, OT interception, 57 yard FG) and the subsequent asinine pass-interference rule change that was spawned from the non-call.

Yesterday's game-winning TD by Minnesota was legit. There was very little there in terms of a push-off. Both guys were engaged in some minor hand checking. Had it been called, people would have been railing against the "over-officious and incompetent refs". To me, the non-call was appropriate. Claims to the contrary are from salty Saints fans or members of the media trying to perpetuate a continued "The Saints are always screwed" narrative.

I've always regarded Sean Payton as arrogant and have never liked him. I have mixed feelings on Gregg Williams. His involvement in "bountygate" cannot be defended. But he is an otherwise excellent coordinator who did a nice job overall with the Rams during his time with the organization. And the job he did this season with a bunch of no-names on the Jets was outstanding.

I've long felt that player health is largely the byproduct of luck. Yes, conditioning plays a role, and yes a player can contribute to the propensity for injury by being reckless. But in a sport like football you can chalk up a player staying healthy to a lot of good fortune. I'm grateful Goff has so far avoided injury, but I think we've all learned over the years that the loss of your starting QB can be overcome. In years past, that wasn't the case, but fact, it is almost expected that a team will nonetheless remain at least competitive. The Eagles losing Wentz and playing Foles. The Saints hanging in with Bridgewater while Brees was hurt. The Rams and Kurt Warner. Just a few examples. It doesn't have to be a death sentence for your club.

Comment

The way Goff “slides” after a run, I’m surprised he’s not a paraplegic. Cringeworthy.

Comment

NJ is correct in my view. If the non-call went against us last year, we would of course have been screaming bloody murder. The refs missed the call and i dont think anyone, including robey-coleman, disagrees. My point is one of perspective. No call exists in a vacuum. All the calls in the game matter. The Goff facemask was horrific and in the fourth quarter. The only difference was the tv feed did not run the replay 15 times so people dont remember it. I will also point out that the play calling by payton prior to the non call was horrible and brees missed the throw on the slant. To blame it all on the refs and cite direct cause and effect is just classless.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

A couple of comments (are warranted - lol). I have never lost faith in Goff but maybe that is due to my never having sky-high expectations. I honestly think he’s been great. He seems like an introverted kid thrust into the QB role due to his physical gifts few of the 230 plus pound QBs possess. He has a whip of an arm and little time to master pocket management/mobility and the finer points of the game that the NFL REQUIRES. Yes he regressed this year but still threw for over 4300 yards. From day one with the hits by the Raiders and Dallas I said he’s like Gumby. He bends but doesn’t break. I was a Wentz guy but was fine with the Goff pick for the reasons we’ve seen. A better comparison than Wentz who has off the charts physical skills but can’t stay healthy, is Ryan Tannehill and it didn’t escape me seeing Tannehill (like Goff but more physical) and Henry moving on in the playoffs while Goff and Gurley try to figure it out. An off year? I say yes but it seems the Gurley trade deadline is already approaching. Tannehill and Henry have now surpassed Goff and Gurley as a tandem and will the Rams find a replacement? I would like to keep Gurley but I don’t see McVay’s rushing schemes working without a marquee RB on the roster. Sorry Sean but your Running game is average at best, at least until we beef up the OLine. As for Pete Carroll and Sean Payton I hate them both but have more respect for Pete. I heard he LAUGHED and walked out of the (Georgia) Rams HC interview but I never heard why. Was it the money? I have to respect what he’s done year in and year out with the Hawks WITHOUT CHEATING at every turn unlike the ***** who paid FAs millions under the table to turn down RAM contracts and another cheating team led by some notorious short-stop and psychopathic lame.....I won’t even mention their name.

Comment

True. Goff has been very durable. The rest I have made very clear about what I feel he needs to improve on.

Comment

Pete Carroll was a rampant cheater at USC recruiting wise. He quit USC and took the job with the chickens one step ahead of the NCAA posse.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                    Pete Carroll was a rampant cheater at USC recruiting wise. He quit USC and took the job with the chickens one step ahead of the NCAA posse.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    Precisely. I am not a USC alum, but he left the school and program in a shambles. Best evidence, what has USC done since his departure.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                      You speak truth.

Whatever his faults, he's unfortunately done a good job in Seattle for most of his tenure. Players perform under him. He's a positive guy whose guys play hard and reflect the youthful enthusiasm he shows despite him being in his late 60s. I honestly dislike Payton much more.

Comment

I worry that Wentz is going to somewhat resemble Bradford in that it's clear he has the ability - and Wentz IMO has been more efficient and played at a higher level than Bradford ever did as a Ram - but he just can't hold up physically to the pro game. It was positive to see him play the whole season this year, and the concussion in the playoffs is kind of a freak thing, but it's tough to see a guy battle the injury issue. Hopefully it's behind him, and more relevant to us, hopefully Goff continues to remain healthy and grows because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                          Many of us have posted a large number of criticisms of the performance of Jared Goff, particularly this year, with adequate reasons. However having just watched the Philadelphia Eagles lose to the Sqawks after Carson Wentz, making his first post-season start went down with a head injury, likely a concussion. I couldn't help thinking that any QB with a strong arm, great defensive scheme reads great judgement skills is of little value if he's unable to be on the field. Jared Goff hasn't missed a start due to injury throughout his career.
                          Yep, Wentz has been injury prone his entire NFL career, and I'll bet that trend continues. He's just one of those guys that is snake bitten when it comes to staying on the field, which is a shame because he is a big-time talent. Goff on the other hand has taken a beating year after year, and as you mentioned,has never missed a start. Ironic that in the past, Wentz zealots tried to make the case that Goff was a wimp, and Wentz was Superman.

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                          Sean Payton who I see as a smug crybaby
                          What an understatement. Payton is the biggest crybaby in the NFL. He's never seen a penalty on his team he didn't see as unjust. One of his players could have a piece of a jersey in his hand, and Payton would stomp his feet and whine his player didn't hold. He is so easy to hate.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                            Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick

April 16, 2016

Updated April 17, 2016 10:43 a.m.

1 of 1
                            California quarterback Jared Goff looks for an open receiver against Air Force during the first half of the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29. Goff's pocket presence is considered one of his strengths. RON JENKINS, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

As far as college quarterbacks go, Jared Goff is not among the most decorated.

He racked up gaudy numbers, but did so in an Air Raid-styled spread offense. He was never in serious discussion for any major national awards and had to share his All-Pac-12 first-team nod this past season. He finished with a career record of 14-23.

None of that, however, should prevent the Rams from drafting him No. 1 overall over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at the end of this month.

“I went into every game thinking I’m the best player on the field,” Goff said last summer. “Because I think you have to.”

He was reflecting on his 2013 debut at Cal, when he became the first true freshman quarterback in program history to start a season opener. That first campaign in Berkeley was miserable, with the Golden Bears winning just a single game under new coach Sonny Dykes.

But to those who would knock Goff for not being a “winner,” consider this: The 21-year-old is already mentally prepared for the hardships of an NFL transition. He is unlikely to see his confidence shaken by even the worst losses, unlikely to be fazed by the pressure of being anointed the savior of Los Angeles pro football.

He also checks off several other boxes, having improved his passer rating by double digits in every season. CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler and NBC Sports’ Josh Norris both rank the Bay Area product as the more attractive prospect, as does Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller said in a recent radio appearance that he would take Goff over Wentz “without a doubt.”

Even NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who prefers Wentz for his tools and upside, has called Goff the “most ready-to-play quarterback in this draft.”

“You just don’t see very often college quarterbacks who have his ability both mentally and physically,” Brugler said. “His ability to throw guys open, that passing anticipating. You saw that a little bit with Jameis Winston, but he brings something different to the table – something that projects very well to the NFL level.”

Of course, it’s easy enough to find those on the other side of the aisle, too. Wentz is still the favorite to go No. 1 on a litany of mock drafts, including one from Cris Collinsworth that predicted the Rams’ blockbuster trade a month before it was finalized.

The case for Wentz is simple enough to understand. The Bismarck, N.D., native stands at 6-foot-5 and 235...
                            -04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
                          • RockinRam
                            California Cool - By Michael Silver Jan.19, 2019
                            by RockinRam
                            EDIT: This was written by Michael Silver on January 29th, not the 19th. Sorry for the confusion.

Jared Goff's football career has been a roller-coaster ride, but the 24-year-old Rams quarterback offsets all highs and lows with an unwavering chill.

LOS ANGELES --The mood was tense. The stakes were enormous. The din was deafening -- and that was just in the Los Angeles Rams' huddle.

Trailing 13-0 early in the second quarter of the NFC Championship Game in New Orleans two Sundays ago, his team rattled by a cacophonous Superdome crowd he'd later describe as "the loudest thing I'll ever experience ... disorienting ... dizzying," 24-year-old quarterback Jared Goff finally snapped. Yet it wasn't the relentless roar of the 73,028 fans that triggered the young passer; rather, it was the well-intentioned intervention of some of the equally besieged men in his midst.

"He took control in a way that I'd never seen before," veteran tackle Andrew Whitworth recalled last Thursday. "It was crazy loud, and a bunch of us kept trying to chime in and give input, and he just said, 'Hey! Everybody shut up. I'll get you guys into the right places. This is my show. I've got it.' First time I've ever heard him do that ... and you know what? Everybody listened."

Said guard Rodger Saffold: "He said it with some bass in his voice. That was pretty cool. It was like, OK, Jared -- I see you. The noise was insane, but the fact that he was able to settle us down, show his leadership and lead us to victory shows you how much he's grown these last three years. He had so much poise -- and that's the biggest thing you need to know about Jared Goff: He has poise, win or lose."

After spurring the Rams to a 26-23, overtime victory over the Saints, Goff charged onto the field and made some noise of his own. As he recalled last Wednesday during an interview at his home near Calabasas, California, that will air on NFL Network's "GameDay Morning" on Super Sunday, "As soon as we got a few points on the board, it started to get a little more quiet. The more we'd score, the more quiet it'd get. You know, after a big play, it'd be dead silent. And when Greg (Zuerlein) hit that (game-winning, 57-yard) field goal, all you could hear was us screaming."

Now, Goff and the Rams have a chance to make some legacy-defining noise in Atlanta, where on Sunday they'll face living legend Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The matchup between a pair of quarterbacks raised in Northern California a generation apart is not one Goff will take lightly; he called the opportunity to compete against the 41-year-old Brady, who has been to eight previous Super Bowls and won five, "an honor."

That said, he is highly unlikely to get overwhelmed by the enormity...
                            -01-29-2019, 03:17 PM
                          • AvengerRam_old
                            The Aspect of Goff's Highlight Film That Sold Me On Him As A Prospect
                            by AvengerRam_old
                            Below is a highlight film of Jared Goff. Like any highlight films, it shows his best and most exciting plays. Its easy to fall in love with a player based on such a compilation.

But, look more closely, and you'll see why I really think Goff is the right choice.

In several (at least half) of these highlight plays, Goff does not have a "clean pocket." Rather, you'll see him in a collapsing pocket, or with rushers closing in, on many of these plays.

Watch what he does.

No happy feet.

Head stays up.

Slides or steps up with subtle moves that help his blockers and keeps rushers away.

Keeps looking down the field.

Follows through on his throws.

You know who was not good at those things? Sam Bradford.

Bradford had first overall pick arm talent. Still does, when healthy.

But he did not, and does not, have that type of pocket presence.

When you factor in that Goff was sacked over 50 times in the past two years, you really have to be impressed with his ability to keep focused in the face of mediocre to poor pass protection.

In the NFL, you have to be able to ignore the rush and get the ball out.

Goff has that skill.

Watch for yourself:

-04-26-2016, 11:43 AM
                          • r8rh8rmike
                            Wentz has advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than Goff
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Carson Wentz has one simple advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than No. 1 pick Jared Goff
                            Cork Gaines Sep. 20, 2016, 12:26 PM

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images; Jae Hong/AP

After the Philadelphia Eagles' win on Monday night, they are now 2-0 with Carson Wentz. As a result, questions are already being raised about whether the Los Angeles Rams made a mistake passing on Wentz to draft Jared Goff with the first pick in the draft.

However, those questions may not be fair to Goff simply because Wentz appears to have one big advantage working in his favor: he was drafted by a team that was in a better position to help a young quarterback transition to the NFL.

Before the draft, the general consensus on the two quarterbacks was that Wentz had a slight advantage in ability but that Goff had a huge advantage in being better prepared for the NFL. Goff was coming from Cal and out of the Pac-12 Conference. Meanwhile, Wentz played in the FCS (college football's second division) at North Dakota State. Wentz' learning curve was supposed to be much steeper.

And yet, after two weeks, Wentz has not only grabbed the starting job with the Eagles much sooner than anticipated, but he already looks like a polished NFL quarterback. Meanwhile, Goff has yet to play and didn't even dress for Week 1.

Is Wentz just the better quarterback? It is possible, but it is still too early to know with any certainty. But his early success may be attributable to having a coaching staff that has a lot more experience working with quarterbacks.

Every quarterback has three important coaches that impact their play, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the quarterbacks coach. Check out the differences in their resumes, according to Chris Wesseling of Around the NFL:
                            Twitter/ChrisWesseling

Now, this is not a complete picture. Weinke is actually in his second year as a coach and was an NFL quarterback for seven seasons. He also helped develop quarterbacks at the IMG Academy in Florida.

But still, it appears, on the surface at least, that Wentz was put into a situation where it would be easier for a young QB to transition to the NFL. All three of Wentz's coaches have served as both offensive coordinators and as quarterbacks coaches. All three of Goff's coaches have combined for less than two seasons of coaching quarterbacks.

None of this means that Goff won't eventually be a star quarterback and it doesn't mean that the Rams whiffed on the pick. But it could explain why Wentz has had more success right out of the gate....
                            -09-21-2016, 04:43 PM
                          • r8rh8rmike
                            Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cal coach Sonny Dykes learned everything he ever really needed to know about Jared Goff during Goff's freshman season as a teenage quarterback for a program that won only once in 12 tries.

"He never blinked," Dykes said in a phone interview this week, days before Goff makes his long-awaited debut for the Los Angeles Rams. "I think we played Ohio State in Game 3 that year, and we weren’t very good, and we were playing with a ton of young players. Bunch of freshmen. Bunch of O-linemen that weren’t ready to be playing, I can promise you that. He got hit a bunch, and I learned that he was incredibly tough physically, incredibly tough mentally. He never complained one time. He just got up, dusted himself off, went back to the sideline and went back to work. And that’s the best thing about Jared Goff."

This won't be easy for Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

His own coaches have cautioned as much. Jeff Fisher, who warned against judging Goff solely on the merits of his first game Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, said Goff is "going to have some moments, like all young quarterbacks do." Or offensive coordinator Rob Boras, who acknowledged that taking practice snaps is "different than actually playing." And quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who talked about how the Rams "have to accept that there’s going to be some bumps in the road."

Goff will be tested from Day 1 against a Dolphins team with a devastating front four and standing behind an offensive line that has not performed well this season.

One thing that should help him, Dykes believes, is his footwork in the pocket and his willingness to absorb hits, a trait teammates have already picked up on.

"When they sat down and looked at all the quarterbacks, I think that’s what made him stand out, made him unique and made him the first pick," Dykes said. "It was his toughness, ability to stand in there and throw the ball with somebody in his face. Also, his ability to shuffle around and create space is pretty unique. The NFL game is different than the college game. Everything has to happen much faster than it does in college, but I’m sure he’s made that adjustment. I think he’ll do a great job."

The Rams waited to start Goff largely because he came from an offense in which he did not take a snap from under center and did not call plays from the huddle. Besides getting acclimated to NFL speed, those have been his two biggest adjustments. The system Goff ran at Cal was the pass-happy Air Raid offense that lends itself to gaudy collegiate statistics but traditionally has not produced successful NFL quarterbacks.

Goff ran a lot of run-pass options that mostly required

-11-18-2016, 09:42 AM
                          Working...
                          X