Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Phillips Contract not Renewed

Posted from his Twitter account,

I have been informed by the Rams that my contract will not be renewed. I want to thank them for the opportunity to be a part of their success the last 3years. Most of all I want to thank the players who I loved workings with. I still want to coach and feel I can contribute.
    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Odd decision. Defense allowed less points this year than last.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if the Rams promote from within (Barry, Pleasant, for instance) or if they go with an outside candidate.

I’m also still waiting to see what adjustments are made on the offensive coaching side of things.

Comment

Not a surprise, and honestly, I'm not disappointed. Sometimes change is good. We were ranked 20th and 17th in total defense the last two years, and despite some good individual performances and the presence of an All-World tackle, we were prone to periods of alarming inconsistency this season. We ranked 4th in total sacks, yet there were times we put no pressure on the QB at all. No one had more than 2 interceptions on the season. We gave up 55 points at home to Tampa Bay. We allowed two 3rd and 16 conversions against SF with a playoff berth still hanging by a thread.

With that said, I appreciate Wade Phillips being a part of our organization the last three seasons. He came at a time when a young new head coach needed a mentor and a veteran presence on the sidelines, and he oversaw some very good defensive play more often than not. His defense played well enough to beat New England in last year's Super Bowl, and for that I am grateful.

He was the right hire at the time and I wish him well moving forward.

Comment

Not a shocking development based on what has been speculated on by the media. I think the Rams will go outside for their next DC. If they promote from within then why part ways with Wade. With Donald and Ramsey, who is a slam dunk to be extended, this will be a very appealing job.

Having read some articles on the cap space and how the Rams can enlarge it by restructuring Goff and letting Weddle walk plus certain other moves they can get their space up to about $50m. That gives me some confidence (not assurance) the Rams will be able to sign Littleton and Fowler with possibly Brockers too. This may chase away some candidates, but it may attract others. Promises to be interesting.

Comment

Well, at least the end is under good[?] terms.

Thank you Coach Phillips for your help on D, especially during 2018.

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
            Not a surprise, and honestly, I'm not disappointed. Sometimes change is good. We were ranked 20th and 17th in total defense the last two years, and despite some good individual performances and the presence of an All-World tackle, we were prone to periods of alarming inconsistency this season. We ranked 4th in total sacks, yet there were times we put no pressure on the QB at all. No one had more than 2 interceptions on the season. We gave up 55 points at home to Tampa Bay. We allowed two 3rd and 16 conversions against SF with a playoff berth still hanging by a thread.

With that said, I appreciate Wade Phillips being a part of our organization the last three seasons. He came at a time when a young new head coach needed a mentor and a veteran presence on the sidelines, and he oversaw some very good defensive play more often than not. His defense played well enough to beat New England in last year's Super Bowl, and for that I am grateful.

He was the right hire at the time and I wish him well moving forward.

Agreed NJ! Good info.

Comment

Is Bud Carson available? I know buddy ryan is not.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Thanks Wade. your d laid a few eggs this year. But I found myself more confounded by the Gurley #$%t show and lack of offensive creativity then I did d issues this past season.

Gurley, I am fine. McVay, I was an idiot for not utilizing him more. All of us could see he was not the same RB as in years past. I guess somebody had to go.

Comment

I wish Wade the best in wherever he goes next (except when it's against us).

Comment

Ok, so we've gotten 1 of 3 objectives. Wade is gone. An OC to help Goff is still a possibility (in fact Waldron is a good choice for replacement). But a new GM is less likely as more days go by. But with a new stadium on the horizon, a new D, I'm still hopeful for a new FO look.

If Sneadless had kept Peters and then let him walk thru FA the team would have gotten a higher comp pick than the pick he got for trading him midstream (and a 1st team pro-bowler to boot). He had to add a pick just to get rid of Talib's salary. And then there is Ramsey. Overpaid for him, and heaven forbid, will overpay him. For those so anxious for Ramsey, need I remind anyone that he doesn't strike one as a "hometown" deal kind of guy. Sneadless, fuked this one up royally. Didn't do a sign and trade but rather overpaid for his mouthy presence and could still lose him. Like that was the missing piece to future-SBbowl bound? Please. I've got a bridge for you if you believe that crap. And now you want him to fill in the pieces for a new D? Stop this delusional merry-go-round. I want off. Or at the least, have him get off.
                    Last edited by adarian_too; 1 week ago.

Comment

If you look at Wade's history, other than Dallas he only stays 2-3 years with any team. I mentioned this when he was hired.

Comment

I'm interested to see what's next for Wade. He's a very respected coach, I believe, but I do think it's interesting that it's been a week since he announced he wouldn't be back with the Rams and I haven't heard a sniff of him being linked to anyone else. Maybe I missed it. Maybe he's taking some time, I dunno.

EDIT: No sooner did I post this, and someone tweets about him being a possibility for the Browns DC job. So there's that.
                        Last edited by Nick; 5 days ago.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                          One big reason why Wade Phillips could help make Rams contenders
                          by MauiRam
                          One big reason why Wade Phillips could help make Rams contenders

Eric Edholm

Ever since Wade Phillips took over the defense of the Denver Broncos back in 1989, he has improved every new unit he has been involved with the following season — in most cases by leaps and bounds. Seven different times Phillips has come in over the past 27 NFL seasons and made a clear, unmistakable impact running the defense in his first year with a new team.

Talk about one of the best hired guns in NFL history. Who can boast such a mark?

Phillips took over an aging Broncos defense that year, one that allowed 341.9 yards and 22 points per game the year prior. After his first season as coordinator, the Broncos had made massive improvements — and with only one major defensive addition, with rookie Steve Atwater — to 275.4 and 13, respectively.

Now in 2017, Phillips is the new defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams, and his mission is to repeat his brilliant history. A few weeks prior to his 70th birthday, he remains at the top of his game. He also has maintained his wonderfully dry sense of humor and is enjoying the successful release of his new book, “Son of Bum,” and having some fun with it.
                          If you don’t appreciate Phillips on some level, you might want to ask yourself why. He’s a funny guy and a heck of a defensive coach. Phillips also could have a lot more fun in 2017.

This season he’ll be running a Rams defense that has the reputation of being one of the league’s best, but it was one that underachieved last season under Gregg Williams. It allowed 337 yards and 24.6 points per game, which didn’t help an overmatched offense in what ended up a 4-12 season — one that started out with a 3-1 mark. The talent is there, but the results were not.

Can Phillips make that much of a difference, serving under a first-year head coach (and a 31-year-old at that) in Sean McVay? We shall see. But Phillips’ history suggests that the Rams can expect immediate statistical improvements, including one crucial stat that could lead directly to more wins.

Over those past seven first seasons running a team’s defense, which included his 2007 stint as the Dallas Cowboys’ head coach, Phillips has shaved off an average of 35 yards allowed and 5.1 points scored. Those are fine results indeed, especially the points. But the biggest difference in his teams’ defensive turnarounds? Turnovers.

Only once since 1989 has a Phillips-run defense created fewer turnovers than the unit he inherited the season before. Four times his teams made major improvements — the ’89 Broncos improved by 16 turnovers created (from 26 to 42); the 2002 Atlanta Falcons improved by nine (30 to 39); the 2004 San Diego Chargers by 13 (20 to 33); and the 2011 Houston Texans by nine (18 to 27).

In most cases, the defenses Phillips helped improve only added one major player, such as Atwater to...
                          -06-06-2017, 10:58 AM
                        • MauiRam
                          A near certainty for the 2017 Rams: Wade Phillips will improve defense
                          by MauiRam
                          Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

Wade Phillips is heading into his 40th season in the NFL. It will come, for the 26th time, as a defensive coordinator, and he'll do it for the Los Angeles Rams, his 10th different franchise. In less than a month he will be 70 years old, four whole decades older than the vast majority of the players he will coach.

Last week, at the start of the Rams' rookie minicamp, Phillips was asked about his expectations for those players in 2017 and said: "We expect to do things well quickly."

You should believe him.

Phillips -- the unlikeliest of Twitter sensations -- brings to L.A. a sparkling track record as a defensive coordinator. Basically every defense he has ever inherited has performed significantly better in the first year, regardless of the scheme it ran before him. That includes the Broncos, who went from great (third in yards allowed in 2014) to historic (first in several categories in 2015). And it includes a Texans defense that didn't have a true offseason because of the 2011 lockout, yet still went from 29th to fourth in points allowed.

Before joining the Rams, Phillips had taken over as a defensive coordinator or head coach nine times. Only once did a team not improve significantly on defense in the first year. That distinction belongs to the 1986 Eagles, who fell from 10th to 17th in yards allowed during Phillips' first season. That year, though, Phillips, who specializes in running a 3-4 base set, ran the 46 defense under former Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan. And within three years, Phillips was replaced by none other than former Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

Every other defense -- the 1981 Saints, 1989 Broncos, 1995 Bills, 2002 Falcons, 2004 Chargers, 2007 Cowboys, 2011 Texans and 2015 Broncos -- was better with Phillips.

And not by a little, either.

"I’ve had a lot of good players, you know," Phillips said. "But I attribute some of that to our teaching, the way we teach them. We don’t make many mistakes. We make sure we don’t make many mental mistakes, as far as alignment, assignment, and then we work really hard on fundamentals and techniques and try to improve each player."

Below is a look at each defense before and after Phillips came in. They're listed with their rankings in defensive DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average), then yards and points allowed, followed by the number of Pro Bowl players from that defense. Phillips, who has coached 30 Pro Bowl players and has been a part of 20 top-10 defenses, started as defensive coordinator at all those stops except Dallas, where he was head coach. His defenses before 1988 are not listed because DVOA was unavailable for them.

2014-15 Denver Broncos
                          • Before Phillips: 4th in DVOA, 3rd in yards allowed, T-16th in points allowed; 5 Pro Bowlers.
                          • After Phillips: 1st in DVOA, 1st in yards allowed, 4th
                          -05-22-2017, 11:15 AM
                        • AvengerRam
                          Is the Rams' defense its "secret weapon" in 2017?
                          by AvengerRam
                          Most preview analyses focus on the Rams' need to improve their offense... and with good reason. The 2016 Rams' offense was historically inept, both in terms of efficiency and scoring. With an offensive line that will feature 4 new starters (two new players, one elevated player, and one changing position), an influx of talent in the receiving corps, and a new offensive coaching staff and system, things will hopefully improve on that side of the ball.

There is less talk about the defense. Most comments focus on the hiring of Wade Phillips, who will install his aggressive 3-4 based system (one that has worked well with several other teams). Lost in these discussions, though, is the fact that, all things considered, the 2016 was actually not that bad.

Despite having an offense that rarely sustained drives and caused the Rams to fall behind early in most games (and the loss of its second best player, Robert Quinn, for half the season), the defense was ranked 9th in the NFL in yards/game allowed, yards/play allowed and 3rd down conversion % allowed. The Rams' worst defensive stat may have been its poor showing in total sacks (31). That is the most likely area to improve under Phillips.

While most of the offseason moves went toward improving the offense, the Rams made some key defensive acquisitions, including Connor Barwin, Kayvon Webster, Nickell Robey-Coleman. They also drafted some interesting prospects in John Johnson, Samson Ebukam, Tanzel Smart and Ejuan Price.

I think the Rams have the potential to not only be good on defense, but to be great. The talent is there, and should fit Phillips' system very well.

Nothing wrong with winning games by a score of 13-3.
                          -07-26-2017, 09:00 AM
                        • MauiRam
                          Rams still figuring out things on defense, with Dallas coming up, they better hurry
                          by MauiRam
                          Rams still figuring out things on defense, but with Dallas coming up, they better hurry

The Rams defense has not played up to expectations so far under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, and it will face a significant challenge Sunday against the Cowboys. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By RICH HAMMOND

THOUSAND OAKS — It’s not time to worry about the Rams’ defense. Give that another couple days.

Thus far, the scheme of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has underwhelmed. The Rams rank 26th in the NFL in points allowed per game (25.0) and 22nd in yards allowed (343.7), and last week the Rams ended up in a shootout against a San Francisco team that previously hadn’t scored a touchdown.

The challenge doesn’t get easier this Sunday, as the Rams travel to face a balanced Dallas offense that includes quarterback Dak Prescott, running back Ezekiel Elliott and tight end Jason Witten.

“We look at it as a big challenge,” Phillips said after Thursday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “I think we’ll see a lot about our team this week, as far as where we are, to match up against that premier offense.”

The Rams clearly are having some issues. After their dominating season-opening game against an Indianapolis team that lacked its quarterback and center, the Rams allowed 27 points and 385 yards in a loss to Washington, then 39 points and 421 yards in a way-too-close victory over the 49ers.

Run defense remains an issue, cornerbacks have been beat on big plays and, last week, the 49ers converted on nine of their 18 third-down attempts.

On the other hand, Phillips pointed out that special-teams miscues sent the Rams’ defense onto the field in unusual circumstances multiple times, and Phillips said the unit would get a boost from the expected return of starting cornerback Kayvon Webster, who missed two games with a shoulder injury.

Phillips also hinted that the Rams might move Michael Brockers, who has been one of the most productive players up front, away from nose tackle and to a defensive tackle role.

“A premier challenge,” Phillips said of Dallas. “When you’re playing a really good offensive team, that’s when you have to step up and be a good defensive team. I think we’ll get better in some of the areas we need to, but we’ll find out. That’s why we play the games, to see what happens. But I like our group.”

Phillips’ recent history shows that early-season struggles, when he takes over and transitions a team from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 front, are not uncommon.

In 2011, Phillips took over an awful Houston defense. In the third game of that season, the Texans allowed 40 points and 454 yards in a loss to New Orleans. Houston finished that season ranked fourth in points allowed (17.4 per game) and second in yards (285.7).

In 2004, Phillips’ San Diego defense...
                          -09-29-2017, 11:27 AM
                        • AvengerRam
                          A calculated risk that is... and isn't (yet)... paying off
                          by AvengerRam
                          When McVay took over, and Les Snead was advised he was staying, they apparently hatched a two part plan:

1. Focus the bulk of the available resources on fixing the offense from an OL and receiving corps standpoint.
                          2. Stand pat with the defensive personnel and see if Wade Phillips can work his magic.

Part 1 is working out extremely well. This is an entirely new offense with the addition of Andrew Whitworth, John Sullivan, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Gerald Everett and Cooper Kupp. What was a "middle school" embarrassment is now a dynamic, balanced and diverse attack that is scoring points (in 3 games, they've score 48% of the points total achieved in 16 games last year). Just how good this offense is, and can be, remains to be seen. However, the improvement is undeniable.

The flip side is the defense. Other than Kayvon Webster (who has missed 2 of the 3 games played,) and Connor Barwin, the personnel consists primarily of holdovers who are trying to adjust to a 3-4. At this point, it would be fair to say that the defense is struggling. Indeed, that's an understatement. While this is not the desired outcome, perhaps its not a surprise either. You simply can't (particularly w/out a first round pick) address every aspect of the team in one offseason. The hope is that Wade can figure out the right mix with the parts he now has.

Time will tell.

With 2 wins in 3 weeks, though, I'd say the plan is (mostly) working.

Hopefully, that trend will continue....
                          -09-22-2017, 01:31 PM
                        Working...
                        X