X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Phillips thanks Rams for last 3 years,

Wade Phillips thanks Rams for last 3 years, says he still wants to coach

By: Cameron DaSilva | 41 minutes ago

Wade Phillips is out in Los Angeles after the Rams decided not to extend his contract, which expired after the 2019 season. It’s a big move for Sean McVay and the front office, now needing to find a replacement for Phillips at defensive coordinator.

Phillips spent the last three years with the Rams and helped them reach the Super Bowl after the 2018 season, but Los Angeles never ranked inside the top 10 defensively. It’s hard to blame Phillips for the team’s shortcomings this season, though.

At 72 years old, some believed Phillips might retire from coaching and move on to the next chapter of his life, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. He confirmed the news of his departure from the Rams on Twitter Monday, adding that he still believes he can contribute and coach in the NFL.

Phillips is still one of the better defensive minds in football, frequently helping turn around teams everywhere he went. He’s been a coach in the NFL since 1976 when he was the linebackers coach for the Houston Oilers and has been a defensive coordinator or head coach since 1981.

Well, at least the end is under good[?] terms.

Thank you Coach Phillips for your help on D, especially during 2018.

Comment

Thanks Wade. Best of luck going forward.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
        Wade Phillips brings quick-fix wizardry to Los Angeles Rams' D
        by MauiRam
        • By Gregg Rosenthal
        Bum Phillips loved to watch his son work. Near the end of a life spanning football's explosive growth, the legendary leader of the "Love ya Blue" Houston Oilers would regularly show up to Texans practice, wife by his side, to see Wade Phillips coordinate Houston's defense.

"Wade was 65 years old at the time," Los Angeles Rams linebacker Connor Barwin said in an interview this summer, recalling the image of his days playing for Phillips in Houston. "It was so cool to watch his parents come watch him coach. You just saw that love between them, that respect, that love for the game all in one."

Now 70 years old and ready to embark on his 40th NFL season after joining the 10th pro organization of his career, the Rams' newest defensive coordinator wears that love of sport as conspicuously as his late father once wore a 10-gallon hat. Phillips emerged as the preeminent quick-fix defensive coach of the last quarter-century by honoring his father's principles even when they cut against the NFL norms of the day. When a team needs a defensive boost, they call Phillips, and he delivers every time.

Phillips and Barwin are more than just coach and player -- the two men regularly grabbed meals together even when Barwin was playing with the Eagles and Phillips was coaching elsewhere. In this era of free agency, cold professionalism and emotion-free press conferences, Phillips believes that coaches and players can be friends. He believes that yelling at players for mistakes amounts to "bitching" and not coaching. He believes that too many staffs overcoach players in an effort to make them all the same. The Son of Bum identifies with players who don't follow all his orders, knowing well that a little independent thinking goes a long way.

"You don't want players that do exactly what you say because they have no initiative themselves," Phillips told me. "You get some guys who are great young men that want to do everything you say, but they get carried away with that. When you need to make a play, you need to have the initiative to say, 'Hey, Coach told me to do this, but the ball's right there. I got to make the play.' "

Like so much of Phillips' football philosophy, this sounds deceptively straightforward. Rams players extol Phillips' ability to simplify concepts and teach with clarity so they can learn fast and play even faster. Introduction to Wade Phillips 101 is a defensive self-help course with proven results that rival those of any defensive coach of his lifetime. In Los Angeles, he takes over a defense that had a better reputation than results over the last four seasons, failing to ever finish in the top 10 in points allowed and bottoming out last season, ranking 23rd in that category. Phillips' track record is one reason why Rams fans should expect this defense -- and the 2017 team as a whole -- to...
        -08-25-2017, 08:28 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Wade Phillips not out to 'manage' new personalities
        by r8rh8rmike
        Wade Phillips not out to 'manage' new personalities

By Kevin Patra
        Around the NFL Writer

When Bum Phillips patrolled the sideline in the 1970s and '80s he was known as the quintessential player's coach of the generation. Years later, his son, Wade, carries on his father's work in the same fashion.

As the leader of the Los Angeles Rams' defense, Wade Phillips is tasked with guiding a D that just got injected with a smorgasbord of strong personalities in Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters and Ndamukong Suh. Coaching such a diverse group of egos doesn't concern Phillips. Just don't say he's "handling" them.

"We're going to have personality now. You bring in Aqib Talib, you're going to have personality," Phillips said, via the team's official website. "It's not manage though. I don't manage players, I don't handle players. I just work with players.

"They asked me the same thing when I went into Denver. I want them to have personalities. A lot of them are really good because of their personalities, they're confident in themselves."

Outside of Xs and Os, Phillips' greatest asset as a coordinator is his understanding that the NFL at its core is a relationship business that necessitates a two-way trust between coaches and players.

It's "working with each individual," Phillips said. "It's a person-to-person business -- it's not a business where it's authoritarian, or where I say this and you all do it. You know, I explain how we do things, why we're doing things, and let them know that I'm trying to get them better. Even though they're great players or an average player or whatever, it's my job to get them better as football players."

Throughout his coaching career, Phillips' defenses have had an aggressive edge. The 70-year-old coordinator allows his best players room to vamp on defense, knowing that the greatest athletes don't always perform at their finest when coaches try to constrain them to a box.

Players like Suh, Talib and Peters are dripping with confidence that they can make the next big play. That type of aggressive action is what Phillips hopes to capitalize on in 2018.

"That's what you want. We play an aggressive-style defense anyway, so I think it always helps to have those kind of guys," Phillips said. "That's the way they want to play is aggressive -- not over-aggressive, just aggressive."

With some coaching staffs there might be concern that importing a bunch of egotistical stars could ruin the locker room. With Phillips running the defense in L.A., there's been nary a peep about the possibility of things going sideways.

As head coach Sean McVay put it at the Annual League Meeting last month, why worry when Phillips is your defensive coordinator?

"I think the defensive coordinator has more swag than all of them,...
        -04-11-2018, 01:38 PM
      • Nick
        Rams rookies quickly warm to ‘old dude’ coordinator Wade Phillips
        by Nick
        Rams rookies quickly warm to ‘old dude’ coordinator Wade Phillips
        By Rich Hammond, [email protected],, @Rich_Hammond on Twitter
        POSTED: 05/12/17, 7:25 PM PDT | UPDATED: 6 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS

THOUSAND OAKS >> Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who is old enough to be the grandfather of the rookies he met this week, quickly bridged the generation gap.

“I thought he was going to be kind of a hard (personality),” linebacker Samson Ebukam said Friday. “Because he’s an old dude; you know what I’m saying? He’s an old dude, and I thought he was going to be one of those hard-ass dudes, who was like, ‘Do this, do this, do this.’ But he’s chill. He’s just right there trying to get you better, and that’s what I like about him. He’s just trying to get us better.”

Don’t blame the rookies for being intimidated by the spectre of Phillips. He’s 69 years old with a recently minted Super Bowl ring, and he’s been coaching in the NFL since the mid-1970s, which must seem like the dark ages to a 22-year-old player such as Ebukam, and his peers.

Old and young seem to have melded together. The Rams on Friday opened their two-day rookie mini-camp for players recently drafted and signed, and while much of the recent focus has been on the Rams’ well-regarded offensive prospects, Phillips brings the potential for immediate defensive improvement.

Phillips now has his first chance to work with Ebukam, a fourth-round draft pick of the Rams last month, safety John Johnson (a third-round pick) and many other undrafted free agents.

“I’m pleased with all of them,” Phillips said. “Their effort is really good. They’re running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but that’s a good thing. That’s what we want, that kind of mood.”

Rams rookies certainly knew Phillips by reputation, and thus far, he seems to be a good complement to first-year coach Sean McVay and his nonstop energy. Phillips is far from lethargic, but he speaks slowly, with a Texas drawl and plenty of dry wit. Then there’s the resume.

Phillips won the Super Bowl two years ago as Denver’s defensive coordinator, and he’s known as something of a turnaround artist. That’s good news for the Rams’ defense, which is talented but underachieved last season.

Phillips, who worked with Rams veterans at a mini-camp last month, said he has been impressed with their work ethic. Phillips estimated that he already has installed 70 percent of his defense.

“Like any coach, it’s, ‘What have you done for me lately?’” Phillips said. “We’re going to try to do something right now. We’ve been successful doing that over the years.”

Phillips already seems to be growing on the youngest Rams. Johnson said Phillips reminded him of his former college defensive coordinator, and players seemed pleasantly surprised by Phillips’ relatability.

“So I’m kind of comfortable...
        -05-13-2017, 07:24 AM
      • HUbison
        The next Defensive Coordinator. It could be.....but surely it's gotta be...
        by HUbison
        Now that Wade Phillips' contract has expired, the Rams have decided to move on from the long-time NFL coach. Long time....as in, he's been an NFL DC or HC longer than anyone on the roster (including the head coach) have existed in this universe. (Sidenote: Phillips coached Bubba Smith with the Oilers. Smith, the #1 pick in '67, best known as Hightower from all the Police Academy movies. Also, Phillips coached Zeke Moore with the Oilers. Moore had a solid career with the Oilers from '67 to '77. He's now 76 years old. Think about that. There's a guy on this planet that's 76 years old that was COACHED by Wade Phillips. I'm just sayin'......the guy's been around. But I digress...)

And as people have said, Phillips was the right guy at the right time for McVay's Rams. But now that he's got his feet under him, maybe it's time for McVay to pick "his" guy. And while there's several names getting kicked around (Kris Richard, Marvin Lewis, Rod Marinelli, etc.), the pick has got to be Joe Barry, right?

Barry was with him for a couple of years in Washington before the Rams, and currently serves as the Asst. HC. Seems like they would want some level of consistency in this move, and if that's so, then Joe Barry is the next DC....
        1 week ago
      • moklerman
        Lawrence Phillips gets 10 years in prison
        by moklerman
        Lawrence Phillips sentenced to prison - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Lawrence Phillips sentenced to prison

In this Aug. 23, 2005 file photo, former National Football League running back Lawrence Phillips is shown in Superior Court in Los Angeles. Phillips was sentenced Friday, Oct. 3, 2008, to 10 years in prison after being convicted of assault with a deadly weapon, in Los Angeles.

AP - Oct 3, 5:23 pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Former football star Lawrence Phillips was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison, two years after he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon.

The sentencing was repeatedly delayed while Phillips fought to withdraw a guilty plea in a domestic abuse case that could have led to a stiffer sentence.

Phillips was convicted in 2006 of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

The 33-year-old former Nebraska running back has been jailed since August 2005, when he drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and his car struck three boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man, who suffered cuts and bruises. The car narrowly missed three other people, prosecutor Todd Hicks said.

Phillips was allegedly upset after losing a pickup football game to the youths and accused them of stealing some of his possessions.

“When he gets angry and he feels disrespected, he acts out with blind rage,” Hicks said in a telephone interview after the sentencing.

In court, Phillips tearfully apologized to one of the victims.

“I’m sorry that your leg is messed up,” Phillips told Rodney Flores, after hearing the young man tell the court that he was unable to pursue his dream of playing high school sports as a result of being hit when he was 16.

“I’m sorry you have to come in here like this,” Phillips said, adding that he “wanted the chance to say I didn’t mean to hurt people.”

Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli said Phillips should have thought about what he did.

A call to Phillips’ attorney Leslie Ringold was not immediately returned.

Sentencing was delayed while Phillips tried to withdraw a 2000 guilty plea to hitting a woman he had been dating during a confrontation at the Beverly Hills Hotel, the prosecutor said.

The plea stands as a strike against Phillips under California’s “three-strikes” law, which mandates tougher sentences for repeat offenders.

Phillips contended he was coerced into pleading guilty to domestic abuse and making a criminal threat, resulting in a brief prison term and three years of probation.

His attempts to withdraw the plea are continuing, Hicks said.

The St. Louis Rams released Phillips for insubordination in 1997. He signed with the Miami Dolphins, but was later released. In 1999 in NFL Europe, he set league records for rushing and...
        -10-03-2008, 10:53 PM
      Working...
      X