Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams special teams coach Fassel likely leaving for Dallas

From Tom Pelissero on Twitter...

The #Cowboys are expected to hire John “Bones” Fassel as their special teams coordinator, sources tell me and @RapSheet. One of the NFL’s best. Fassel’s contract was up with the #Rams, whom he helped to the Super Bowl last season. Mike McCarthy building a superstaff in Dallas

Oh hell no

Comment

It is really great that the Rams are already stirring things up among their team office personnel, i.e., early but, this move ...

not good! (>-<)

What happened!

Comment

Why wouldn't we beat whatever they're offering? Maybe he's just sick of L.A. living? This state is a sinking ship ran by control hungry psychopaths after all.

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think this is a big deal in and of itself. Fassel is highly regarded for sure, but he's not responsible for the natural abilities of Hekker and Zeurlein, who make any coach look good. Kickoff coverages today are 90% ceremoniously running down the field and watching the ball sail into the end zone. That leaves punt returns and coverage as really the most critical elements of special teams now as far as coaching is concerned. Not trying to downplay his contributions and say he's unimportant, but I don't feel it's a reach to think another person can join the staff and do a solid job.

What I AM worried about is what seems to be a wholesale revamping of our entire coaching staff. To think this won't come without some major bumps in the road next season is asking a helluva lot.
          Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-08-2020, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
            Why wouldn't we beat whatever they're offering? Maybe he's just sick of L.A. living? This state is a sinking ship ran by control hungry psychopaths after all.
            Well I don't know about all that, but his state income tax would go from 12.3% to 0.0%. I could see where that might be an appeal.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
              Well I don't know about all that, but his state income tax would go from 12.3% to 0.0%. I could see where that might be an appeal.
              And gas goes down a buck, and and and....

Comment

Listen I understand it. I made the move from L.A. TO TEXAS 10 years ago. I won't give up rooting for the Rams or Lakers but I can do without Cali.

Comment

Bones was a good energetic guy that I personally was fond of. He did great job as the ST coach. Not someone I wanted to see leave. I think the players appreciated his style.

Comment

Originally posted by MACrammer View Post
                    Bones was a good energetic guy that I personally was fond of. He did great job as the ST coach. Not someone I wanted to see leave. I think the players appreciated his style.

Nice, positive opinion, 'make no Bones about it'.

Sorry. (^_^)

Comment

This one has me scratching my head. My only thought is that there are wholesale changes being made now to the coaches, perhaps later to the players The message is failure will not be tolerated and by many measures this season was a failure.

With the departure of Fassel, I now wonder how the Rams will treat Zeurlein in his negotiation. After all his misses, and this season there seemed to be more than previous years the Rams may be looking elsewhere. I agree with NJ that these changes could have a bumpy impact on the 2020 season.

Comment

I think the fake punt play deep in our own zone in the SF game was called without mcvay knowledge and it was the last straw. just a guess
                        ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                          This one has me scratching my head. My only thought is that there are wholesale changes being made now to the coaches, perhaps later to the players The message is failure will not be tolerated and by many measures this season was a failure.

With the departure of Fassel, I now wonder how the Rams will treat Zeurlein in his negotiation. After all his misses, and this season there seemed to be more than previous years the Rams may be looking elsewhere. I agree with NJ that these changes could have a bumpy impact on the 2020 season.
                          Assuming this was the Rams decision. This might have been Fassel wanting to work with McCarthy.
                          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Whatever the reason, best to Fassell and his family. I always liked his spirit and energy...

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

Assuming this was the Rams decision. This might have been Fassel wanting to work with McCarthy.
                              You're right. I thought of that after posting. I do think it will be interesting to see how the Rams handle the Greg Zeurlein negotiation.

I am able to identify 2 games where he was largely if not solely responsible for the loss. The Seattle game which we've all discussed to death and the Pittsburgh game where he missed a FG just prior to halftime. That resulted in us having to score a TD in the closing minutes rather than simply kick a FG when I believe we were in GZ's range. Critical miss in a low scoring game.

Just imagine today if we were 11-5 and Seattle was 10-6.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Curly Horns
                                John Fassel to remain as Special Teams coach
                                by Curly Horns
                                Former Los Angeles Rams interim head coach John Fassel always wanted to be a special teams coordinator. It seems he will remain in the role.
                                Follow
                                Vincent Bonsignore @DailyNewsVinny
                                ICYMI: #Rams expected to retain special teams coach John Fassel. He served as interim HC after Jeff Fisher was fired
                                3:19 AM - 13 Jan 2017

Hereís what Fassel said to the media when he was about staying in that role after becoming an interim head coach on December 13:

ďI canít say, honestly, that the last five, six, eight years as a special teams coordinator I was coordinating special teams to become the head coach. I canít say that that was an aspiration. I wanted to be a great special teams coach, and if thatís all I did for the rest of my career, Iíd be super happy doing that.Ē

​​​​​​​The Rams do have one of the most impressive special teams units in the NFL.

Fassel is beloved by his players, including star punter Johnny Hekker ó who had an interesting tweet about his coach when he heard rumors Fassel would return....
                                -01-13-2017, 10:34 AM
                              • THOLTFAN81
                                Rams hire John Fassel as Special Teams Coach
                                by THOLTFAN81
                                Per Peter King

John was the Raiders ST coach for the last 3 seasons, and based on this from the Raiders site it appears to be another QUALITY hire:

Thank you Jeff. What a staff man....
                                -01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Rams fire special teams coach
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                01/26/2007

The Rams will have a new special teams coach after all in 2007. After much deliberation, coach Scott Linehan has decided not to renew the contract of Bob Ligashesky, who has coached Rams special teams the past two seasons.

"He's a good coach with a bright future," Linehan said Thursday. "But we need to make some improvements on special teams. Sometimes change is good for both parties."

Ligashesky has been given permission to interview elsewhere, and according to league sources, already has spoken with a couple of teams and may be close to landing with another club. Pittsburgh is one possibility. (He is a Pittsburgh native and coached in the college ranks for the Pitt Panthers.)

Linehan, meanwhile, interviewed two potential replacements in Mobile, Ala., while attending the Senior Bowl college all-star game workouts. Linehan, who was returning from Mobile on Thursday afternoon, said he planned to interview a third candidate before making his decision.
                                Advertisement

"They're good candidates," Linehan said. "So I think it'll be a win-win for both parties."

Linehan did not reveal the candidates' names. One veteran special teams coach who is available is Pete Rodriguez, who was recently among several assistants fired by Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville. Rodriguez was named NFL special teams coach of the decade in the 1990s by the Dallas Morning News. As recently as the 2005 season, the Jaguars' special-teams unit was ranked eighth in the NFL by the Morning News. But as of Thursday afternoon, Rodriguez had not heard from Linehan.

Another possibility is Scott O'Brien. He was brought to the Miami Dolphins by Nick Saban as coordinator of football operations and assistant to the head coach. But Saban has left the NFL for the University of Alabama, and O'Brien has a long track record as one of the NFL's better special teams coaches, most recently with Carolina (1999-2004). Linehan knows O'Brien after spending the 2005 season as Dolphins offensive coordinator.

"You look for continuity," Linehan said. "You don't want to change year after year. I'm looking for someone who's going to be here for a while, and you hope it works out."

Despite signs of improvement in some areas in 2006, the Rams again finished near the bottom of the league in punt returns (tied for 25th), kickoff returns (26th), and kickoff coverage (28th). Rams coverage units did force and recover a fumble against San Francisco on Nov. 26, and recovered a muffed punt at Oakland on Dec. 17. But the Rams also yielded three return touchdowns ó on a punt return by Seattle's Nate Burleson on Nov. 12, and twice on kickoff returns by Chicago's Devin Hester on Dec. 11.

Rams special teams have struggled this entire...
                                -01-26-2007, 05:11 AM
                              • RamDez
                                Special Teams Hoping for Breakthrough
                                by RamDez
                                Thursday, May 5, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                                Staff Writer

Since the Rams won the Super Bowl in 1999, they have been known around the NFL for having one of the leagueís most dominant offenses. The first things that come to mind when someone mentions the Rams are points, point and more points.

While that reputation is deserved based on the production of the offense under coach Mike Martz there is still a nasty side of the teamís performance that has been just as consistent, special teams.

That consistency has been a bad thing considering the way those units have played in recent seasons. Last year, the group hit an all-time low, ranking last in the league in kickoff return defense, next to last in punt and kick returns and second to last in punt coverage.

Those failures led Martz to the realization that something had to change and it had to change fast.

"That's a mistake I've made in the past when we've gone after defensive players," Martz said. "We've spent so much time looking for ability only on defense, but really didn't go into the next phase of that. You have to be equally significant on special teams. We made an issue of it this year both in free agency and the draft. So hopefully, we'll make a quantum leap."

The changes did indeed come fast. Nearly every player the Rams signed in free agency is capable of contributing in some way on special teams. Almost every player the team drafted also has special teams abilities.

The Rams hope that a unit that was once a major weakness will become strength. The special teams makeover wasnít limited to personnel changes, either. Coach Mike Stock became the third special teams coach to lose his job since Martz became head coach.

Hoping to add intensity and youth to the coaching position, the Rams hired Bob Ligashesky on January 21. Ligashesky was the assistant special teams coach for Jacksonville last season and has 20 years of coaching experience. With Ligasheskyís help, the Jaguars had one of the best special teams units in the league last year.

The coaching changes didnít end there. In a perfect example of just how dire the special teams situation was last year, the Rams didnít hire just one special teams coach, but two.

St. Louis hired Charles Bankins as assistant special teams coach on February 17. Bankins comes to the Rams from Hampton University, where he was the running backs coach from 2000-2004. The commitment to special teams started with the two coaches, but as the previous three coaches proved, there is only so much you can do when you arenít on the field.

With that in mind, the Rams signed a number of players that can contribute as much to the special teams as they can to the defense. Heading that list is former Arizona Cardinal Michael Stone.

Stone was the teamís top target for the secondary in...
                                -05-05-2005, 12:53 PM
                              • bruce4life
                                special teams...
                                by bruce4life
                                our special teams since 2000 has been a joke. Last night was horrible, giving the steelers great field advantage except for the first drive. And look who was the coach on the other sidelines.......... none other than our old buddy Bob Ligashevsky( dont know how the spell it)

The Rams FO and coaching can pick a good special coach but then leave him out to dry. They did that with Bobby April, now he runs one of the best special teams units in the league and now Bob Ligashevsky, who has been putting up respectable numbers all year in PITT...

What is wrong with our special teams? Could people give some explanations?

I'll go with the players we're picking up are not mentality prepared for certain situations that arise throughout a game like a punt return reverse or a punter throwing the ball
                                -12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X