Clear All

• KoaKoi
    replied
    Never heard of him

Leave a comment:

• RealRam
    replied
    Originally posted by MDE8352gorams View Post
    It appears McVay wants millennials on his staff as they are most likely to approach the game as it is now played rather than reaching back to an era that has passed.

Are you saying there's a generation gap between Staley and Phillips?

(^_^)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P vs S DCs.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	831484

Leave a comment:

• mde8352gorams
    replied
    It appears McVay wants millennials on his staff as they are most likely to approach the game as it is now played rather than reaching back to an era that has passed. His experience under Fangio gives him a template to work from. He’ll add his own ideas based on that strategy.

I think Fowler has to be happy as he could serve as Staley’s Von Miller.

Leave a comment:

• Ram Dragoon
    replied
    ….what?

Hey just because you got exposure with so-and-so doesn't mean your as good as the original... How many Bellich coordinators made it as HC that they too have found success? Not many if any!

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Brandon Staley’s history points to Rams keeping 3-4 defense
    Cameron DaSilva
    January 11, 2020 8:30 am ET

The Rams are hiring Brandon Staley as their new defensive coordinator, which is good news for fans of a 3-4 defense. He’s the former outside linebackers coach for the Bears and Broncos, and if his track record is any indication of what scheme the Rams will run in 2020, it’s likely to remain the way it was under Wade Phillips.

Staley worked under Vic Fangio in Chicago and Denver, and each year, the Bears and Broncos ran a 3-4 defense. Staley has primarily worked with edge rushers at the outside linebacker position, including Khalil Mack, Bradley Chubb and Von Miller.

Having always run a 3-4 scheme under Fangio, that’s probably not going to change with the Rams. Los Angeles doesn’t exactly have the personnel to switch to a 4-3 front, lacking depth and pass rushers that fit at defensive end.

What that means for Cory Littleton, Dante Fowler Jr. and Michael Brockers, who will all hit free agency in March, remains to be seen. But with seemingly no change to the defensive front coming, they won’t have to worry much about how they would fit in a 3-4.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Rams to Hire Broncos' OLBs Coach Brandon Staley as Defensive Coordinator: Report
    Chad Jensen
    20 hours ago

Brandon Staley joined the Denver Broncos coaching staff almost a year ago, following Vic Fangio from the Windy City to the Mile High City. With the 2019 season in the books, Staley now has three years of experience as an NFL Outside Linebackers Coach.

Although the Broncos didn't have tremendous statistical production from Von Miller and the outside linebackers, Staley is still considered a rising star in the coaching world. The year before, the young coach helped Fangio elevate the Chicago Bears defense to No. 1 ranking in multiple categories, including sacks.

And now the Broncos must bid Staley adieu. According to Ian Rapoport, the Los Angeles Rams are hiring Staley to be their defensive coordinator.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
    The #Rams are hiring Brandon Staley, formerly the #Broncos outside linebackers coach, as their new defensive coordinator, source said. A surprise hire and the first branch of the Vic Fangio defensive tree.
    8:41 PM - Jan 10, 2020
    Indeed, Staley owes his NFL career to Fangio and it will be interesting to see whether he'll be able to make his mentor proud as the Rams' replacement for Wade Phillips, who was unceremoniously fired just a few days ago.

Staley is now a 15-year coaching veteran who will inherit a Rams defense that ostensibly has the talent to compete. Meanwhile, the Broncos will have a coaching hire to make.

During his end-of-season presser alongside GM John Elway, Fangio said that he didn't foresee any changes to his coaching staff in 2020, barring an outside team hiring one of his assistants away. Some media-ites scoffed at the notion that any NFL team would want to hire a coach who in any way presided over a 7-9 finish.

But those people underestimated the respect Fangio has around the league. It's also worth mentioning that Fangio could have blocked Staley from interviewing and getting the Rams job. It happens in the NFL at times, zealous head coaches stopping the upward mobility of an assistant coach.

The Cincinnati Bengals blocked Vance Joseph from taking the Broncos' defensive coordinator job back in 2015. Kyle Shanahan initially blocked the Broncos from interviewing Niners QBs Coach Rich Scangarello a year ago.

Not Fangio. And that's cool.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Rams surprisingly hire Brandon Staley away from Broncos
    Denver's one-year outside linebackers coach is the Rams' new defensive coordinator. The Broncos expect to replace Staley with a coach outside the organization.
    Author: Mike Klis
    Published: 10:27 AM MST January 11, 2020
    Updated: 10:27 AM MST January 11, 2020

In one sense, the Los Angeles Rams hiring of Brandon Staley as their new defensive coordinator is surprising.

In Staley’s first and only season as the Broncos’ outside linebacker coach, the team finished tied for 17th in the league with 40 sacks and Von Miller had one of his worst years.

Then again, Staley’s association with Broncos’ head coach Vic Fangio makes this an astute hire given the offensive struggles Rams head coach Sean McVay has encountered while going up against the Fangio defense.

In 2018, when the Rams’ offense was the talk of the league while averaging 34.7 points in 15 games, it managed just 6 points in a 15-6 loss to Fangio’s Chicago Bears’ defense. Staley served in the same role as Fangio's outside linebackers coach that year when the Bears tied for third in the league with 50 sacks.

Staley also fits the Rams’ belief in young coaching. McVay turns 34 in two weeks. Passing game coordinator Shane Waldron is 40. Staley, who turned 37 last month, replaces Wade Phillips, who is 72.

The Broncos are expected to fill Staley’s outside linebacker’s position with a coach from outside the organization.

Leave a comment:

• RealRam
    replied
    Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Rolling the dice with two green coordinators is as risky as it gets. Could pay big dividends or could be an unmitigated disaster. Can't say I'm at ease with the moves. Would certainly be nice to have at least one guy on staff who's been around the league and has considerable experience.

SMH about Staley here as DC. Ay ayy ayyy,

I want(ed) Barry !
    I want(ed) Barry ! !
    I want(ed) Barry ! ! !

Leave a comment:

• NJ Ramsfan1
    replied
    Rolling the dice with two green coordinators is as risky as it gets. Could pay big dividends or could be an unmitigated disaster. Can't say I'm at ease with the moves. Would certainly be nice to have at least one guy on staff who's been around the league and has considerable experience.

Leave a comment:

• Curly Horns
    replied
    Wow!

Talk about going from one extreme to the next. You go from SOB with a wealth of experience to BS with zero experience. This guy looks softer than a prevent defense. Hopefully looks are deceiving in this case.

Kinda reminds me of when martz hired marmie after lovie left.

Leave a comment:

• macrammer
    replied
    All I have to say......results matter.

Leave a comment:

• RamFan_Til_I_Die
    replied
    Hmmm not sure what to say. Only 3 years in the NFL, all as an outside linebackers coach. I really know nothing about this guy, so here's to hoping it all works out. Also looks like the 3-4 is here to stay with Staley in charge.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    started a topic Rams hire Brandon Staley as new defensive coordinator

Rams hire Brandon Staley as new defensive coordinator

According to Ian Rapoport...

“The #Rams are hiring Brandon Staley, formerly the #Broncos outside linebackers coach, as their new defensive coordinator, source said. A surprise hire and the first branch of the Vic Fangio defensive tree.”