2020, a history of Genius or the proof a debaukle planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020, a history of Genius or the proof a debaukle planning

Ok as predicted the Rams 2019 OL was a concern and so to the Line Backing Core. With flashes of brilliance to down right embarrassment, the Rams ended 2019 on a winning note--or as I like to think of it, one step forward two steps backward not seeing the post season and having lost to some real dumpster fire teams while crushing a few contender along the way

Its the future that has already been set into motion with every little leeway going into 2020. Where are the draft picks? Spent or otherwise invested in the present-- McVay's doing or Snead? Well its Snead's doing with some McVay input. So where do the Rams address needs... fortunately there really isn't that much that catches the eye coming out of the college ranks for OL even had the Rams the high picks to get them; FA is up in the air because its hard to say if anyone worth spending serious $$$ on will be available and as always its a bidding war among the teams for that tiny slice

Feels like I am standing outside in the cold not knowing which way the Rams are going with tis coaching staff. Not entirely thrilled at the OC/DC situation. Cant even think just how and where McVay will structure his offense given the issues that need addressing. The good thing is the Rams haven't gone down the same rabbit hole the Raiders have bleeding proven top talent in the hopes of younger (better) players--but after that I have no idea where the Rams will be in 2020

I look at the 2020 off-season with some degree of trepidation. We are looking at having to possibly not sign several good players- Littleton and Fowler just to name a couple- to free up cap space. We have no 1st round picks for the next two years, the byproduct of the Ramsey trade, which I will go to my deathbed saying was totally ill-advised in that not only did we give up way too much to get him, we have to give him a king's ransom to keep him and justify the trade. We know free agency is always a crapshoot, and one can't depend on building a team via FA, only to supplement what one hopes is an otherwise good roster. We have a bloated contract given to a guy (Gurley) who was once a huge reason for our success who is now a shell of himself. We have a new set of coordinators, one guy who I know nothing about (Staley) and another guy (O'Connell) whose track record is less than impressive and figures to only serve as McVay's sounding board. Now maybe a couple of these prove to be no big deal. Maybe the coordinators prove to be good hires. Maybe we can effectively off-set losses to current personnel. But as a Rams fan, I'm more than a little concerned. Couple this with the fact that two teams in our division are now outstanding, with one, the hated Niners, now playing for a trip to the Super Bowl. Seattle has rebuilt nicely and is very solid behind Russell Wilson at QB. Arizona is not there yet, but will trend upwards very soon, as Murray has shown enough to demonstrate he'll be the guy to lead moving forward.

All of this illustrates the importance of getting it right with the few picks we DO have in the May Draft. The margin for error in keeping us a relevant team in the playoff discussion is very slim.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
      All of this illustrates the importance of getting it right with the few picks we DO have in the May Draft.
      How many picks are the Rams missing in the upcoming draft? You make it sound like they barely have any. According to what I can find, they're only missing two - a first and a fifth, both belonging to the Jags for the Ramsley and Fowler trades, respectively.

The Rams still have picks in the second, third, fourth, sixth, and seventh rounds. And they'll likely get compensatory picks for the free agent signings of Rodger Saffold and LaMarcus Joyner. At least one of them could/should be as high as a third.

I get that the first round is the glory round, and that talent generally rises to the top when it comes to rookie classes, but the Rams still have quite a bit of draft ammo to work with as I see it.

Comment

Yes that's right Nick. 1st round pick(s) are very cherished, expensive and glamorized. But it's not like we went all out to sell the farm. And everyone and their cousin knows that 1st draft picks can be quite disappointing.

Our remaining 2020 Draft selections may just yield good Rams.

No debacle. Knock on [the stable] wood.

Comment

Yeah I don't think this April is too bad on the draft side. You're right, Rams don't have a 1st & a 5th, but are likely to pick up an extra 4th. So apart from the missing 1st, its basically a full load.

My bigger concern is next year's draft. I think that's the one that's gutted.... cuz as of right now, at least the 1st 4th and 5th are gone. Almost half their picks!

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
            Yeah I don't think this April is too bad on the draft side. You're right, Rams don't have a 1st & a 5th, but are likely to pick up an extra 4th. So apart from the missing 1st, its basically a full load.

My bigger concern is next year's draft. I think that's the one that's gutted.... cuz as of right now, at least the 1st 4th and 5th are gone. Almost half their picks!
            The Rams could be in line for some decent compensatory picks in 2021 as well though, provided they aren't able to retain all of Fowler, Brockers, Whitworth, Littleton, and Zuerlein during this free agency period.

Comment

I have a bad feeling that the Rams under McVay have peaked. The defense has way too many holes to fix in one or two off seasons given the Rams lack of high picks and salary cap issues. I can easily see us chasing .500 for the near future. The 2020s could be a long decade.
              :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

How many picks are the Rams missing in the upcoming draft? You make it sound like they barely have any. According to what I can find, they're only missing two - a first and a fifth, both belonging to the Jags for the Ramsley and Fowler trades, respectively.

The Rams still have picks in the second, third, fourth, sixth, and seventh rounds. And they'll likely get compensatory picks for the free agent signings of Rodger Saffold and LaMarcus Joyner. At least one of them could/should be as high as a third.

I get that the first round is the glory round, and that talent generally rises to the top when it comes to rookie classes, but the Rams still have quite a bit of draft ammo to work with as I see it.
                I quite agree that we have enough picks to make certain improvements. I have to question the absence of a 5th round pick as I thought we got Baltimore's in the Marcus Peters trade. The Rams have made the calculation that based on our current needs there wasn't going to be a player of greater value than Ramsey at our late teens/early 20's draft spot. Given the reality of the Goff and Donald contracts we need to make things happen sooner rather than later.

My concern is the re-signing of several FA's on the team now. I really hope we can get the Littleton deal done before FA starts. The Luke Keuchly retirement will drive the price up for him and we will need him as part of our plan to stay as a 3-4 defense. Beyond that of course Ramsey will be a big number and if we keep Whitworth he will be costly too. Fowler, Zeurlein and Brockers will be interesting to watch as well. All these signings or non-signings must have been topics of discussion when hiring the 2 new coordinators. I'm keeping an eye on the RB coach hiring as Gurley must be a huge part of that discussion. To me the operative word for this off season is "restructure". I've read we can get up to $50m with restructures of Goff and Gurley plus some cap casualties.

As for on the field stuff the running game will be critical. Without a solid run game next year could be a disaster. Of course the O-Line is also an area needing attention, but if Noteboom comes back strongly and Whitworth stays we have some good options to work with. I would expect we'll draft a Center and or Guard. The best we should hope for is getting healthy and play with a chip on our shoulder for a dismal 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                  I have to question the absence of a 5th round pick as I thought we got Baltimore's in the Marcus Peters trade.
                  You're right; I had completely forgotten about the pick that the Rams got along with Kenny Young in the Peters trade. It was initially reported as being an undisclosed pick, but I believe Schefter said it was a fifth rounder.

If that's the case and I'm not missing any other trades, then the Rams are only down their first round pick this year and will likely get 1-2 decent compensatory picks.

That's hardly a bare cupboard.

Comment

For me it's to early to sell the farm. Wait until free agency and the draft and go from there. Otherwise its all just talk show speculation to me.
                    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                      If that's the case and I'm not missing any other trades, then the Rams are only down their first round pick this year and will likely get 1-2 decent compensatory picks.
                      Surprisingly walterfootball predicted our compensatory pick would only be for Saffold and it will be a 4th rounder. But that's simply a prediction. I had forgotten about Joyner, but I think that will definitely be a day 3 pick if we even get one. I want a 3rd rounder for Saffold because I feel that will be the sweet spot of the draft for us this year, given what I expect our needs will be.

I'm sure Trader Les will engineer extra picks by trading down at certain points.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                        Surprisingly walterfootball predicted our compensatory pick would only be for Saffold and it will be a 4th rounder. But that's simply a prediction. I had forgotten about Joyner, but I think that will definitely be a day 3 pick if we even get one. I want a 3rd rounder for Saffold because I feel that will be the sweet spot of the draft for us this year, given what I expect our needs will be.

I'm sure Trader Les will engineer extra picks by trading down at certain points.
                        It could be a fourth, sure. The contract he signed with the Titans was of a decent size though; 12th in total value, tied for 5th in average salary per year, 7th in guaranteed money at signing. I don't know what formula is used to figure that compensation out but I'm hoping the big deal he signed and the fact that the Titans are still in it post-season wise helps out.

Comment

As need to have that of FA and draft and take it from there. As it is indeed speculation there. Needs to be action not just words.
                          Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam
                            Several Splashes, Few Ripples...
                            by AvengerRam
                            The metaphor that makes up this thread title expresses what I really like about the Rams' FA approach.

Any team (subject to the ability to clear cap space), can try to make a big splash in FA by offering a lucrative contract to a well-know, big-name FA. While fans and the media will often praise moves of that type, there are countless examples of FAs who didn't pan out, or who ultimately because high-priced anchors on their new teams.

With a new coaching staff, there may have been some temptation to make big splashes at the possible risk of long term fiscal stability.

For the most part, though, the Rams resisted that temptation.

Andrew Whitworth's signing was definitely a splash. Over the next year or two, he will likely be a stabilizing force on the Rams' OL (not to mention Jared Goff's best friend!). The Rams are paying him well, but in a couple of years, when age may catch up with him, the Rams won't be saddled with a long-term deal. Similarly, John Sullivan... another key short term addition, was signed to a one-year deal that gives the Rams time to groom a long-term solution at the center position.

Same goes for Conner Barwin. He is a key piece of the 3-4 puzzle, and should thrive under Wade Phillips. But as a 30something, he'd be a risky long-term prospect, so his one-year deal makes sense.

Another way to try to make a splash, while avoiding big ripples, is to sign players who are young and have upside, but do not yet demand elite money. Robert Woods and Kayvon Webster could prove to be examples of these types of signings.

I think its clear that McVay and his staff wish to field a strong opening day lineup in 2017, while still retaining the ability to evaluate players and to hold off on most long-term decisions until they see who fits the new system and who does not.

Will all this work? Who knows, but I have to say that its nice to be able to look at an approach and discern the logic behind it. I often did not feel that way when it came to personnel moves under Jeff Fisher. McVay seems to be a man with a plan.
                            -04-13-2017, 08:24 AM
                          • MauiRam
                            Bonsignore: Rams to put emphasis on fixing offense through free agency, draft ..
                            by MauiRam
                            INDIANAPOLIS – Like the super smart kid in class who teachers sometimes neglect in order to tend to their less-gifted students, new Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is probably feeling a bit overlooked these days.

It's one of the double-edged swords of taking over a unit that, frankly, is already playoff caliber

Especially when the group it has been lining up against every day in practice is, well, challenged.

As the Rams work through free agency and draft preparations – including this week in Indianapolis at the NFL draft combine – so much of the focus and talk and concentration is on lifting an offense that ranks dead last in nearly every category that Phillips sometimes feels invisible.

To the point of speaking up.

“And as any good coach will do, (he'll say) ‘Hey, don't forget about us over here. We're playing defense too,’” is how Rams general manager Les Snead put it.

Good luck with all that, Wade.

No matter how many times he raises his hand or jumps up and down or tries to bring attention to himself, the Rams need to ignore him as much as possible.

Nothing personal, good sir.

The Rams won't completely shun Phillips this offseason – the change to his 3-4 scheme preference creates a natural need for specific additions – but let's not get things twisted.

They arrived here in Indianapolis with a particular game plan. And it's one they'll carry into free agency next week and the draft seven weeks later in Philadelphia.

It's time to pull the offense into the 21st century, once and for all.

That was the driving force behind firing Jeff Fisher last November.

And it was the motivation in identifying the offensive minded Sean McVay as Fisher's replacement, and then locking him up almost immediately after first meeting with him.

“We've got to improve the offense,” Snead said, rather obviously.

Step one in that direction was taken care of when they hired McVay, a 30-year-old ball of energy and enthusiasm who spent the last three years as Washington’s offensive coordinator and whose entire coaching roots are planted exclusively on that side of the ball.

Step two was McVay hiring an offensive staff heavy on quarterback development experience and with strong backgrounds in designing offenses.

That includes new offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, quarterback coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.

Along with McVay, they'll form a virtual offensive think tank

Now comes the really fun part.

And probably the hardest.

It's time to find the necessary talent to carry out McVay's vision.

Which, at the risk of putting poor Wade Phillips on mute for now, means the Rams focusing almost entirely on offense this offseason.

The needs are too vast.
                            -03-03-2017, 09:10 AM
                          • Nick
                            Snead, McVay Pleased with Three Quality Players on Day 2
                            by Nick
                            Snead, McVay Pleased with Three Quality Players on Day 2
                            Posted 7 hours ago
                            Myles Simmons
                            Rams Insider
                            @MylesASimmons

Though they came into Day 2 with two picks, the Rams ended the evening with three players after a key trade.

Los Angeles selected tight end Gerald Everett in the second round, followed by wide receiver Cooper Kupp and safety John Johnson in the third.

“These are guys that Les and his staff had really targeted for a long time,” Rams head coach Sean McVay said, referring to general manager Les Snead. “We know we got better with three spots.”

In order to do that, the Rams traded their No. 37 and No. 149 picks for the Bills’ No. 44 and No. 91 selections. With a pick early in the second round, Snead said he had an idea the phone might start buzzing with teams trying to move up.

“I think if we go back a couple drafts ago … I do remember we had an early pick in the second round, we were going to draft some OL — we had done Gurley — and there were a lot of OL on the board, and it was just hard to pick, who do we want? And at that moment, there were a lot of teams — the phone just started buzzing,” Snead said.

“So I think I remember writing a note down then — you know what, if you ever have an early second-round pick, it’s a good spot to be in,” Snead continued. “Usually, there’s a lot of teams that want to move up.”

It worked out well for the Rams in this case, with the club picking up a selection in the third round while still selecting Everett — a player Snead called one of McVay’s favorites in the entire draft.

“Gerald was one of those guys that was, let’s call it Scenario A, Scenario 1,” Snead said. “You always prepare trying to figure out where you can get players in the draft, but that’s the guesstimate at times and you can lose him. But we thought that if we did move back, get an extra third-round selection, we could also still get Gerald.”

Everett began his college career at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, but transferred to the University of South Alabama once UAB’s football program was shut down. In two years at South Alabama, Everett caught 90 passes for 1,292 yards and 12 touchdowns.

“I think I bring the complete package of a tight end,” Everett told reporters on Friday. “Definitely a vertical threat first, but also being a willing blocker in the run game — just being able to create that mismatch at any point of time in the game.”

The tight end likely projects more as a receiver early on in his career, particularly as he’ll have to adjust from being a part of a spread offense in college. But McVay seemed excited at the prospect of using Everett, Tyler Higbee, and Temarrick Hemingway all on the field at once.

“Being able to add a player like Gerald Everett, I think those three complement each other very well,” McVay said. “When you can do...
                            -04-29-2017, 06:37 AM
                          • viper
                            Bonsignore: Rams are a legitimate playoff threat
                            by viper
                            By Vincent Bonsignore | [email protected] | Daily News

PUBLISHED: October 23, 2017 at 12:16 pm | UPDATED: October 23, 2017 at 9:04 pm

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, it’s time to get ahead of ourselves.

That means it’s time to stop pretending or skirting or avoiding.

Be it out of fear of jinxing, the other shoe falling or having been burned and hurt so many times before simply protecting yourself from getting your hearts ripped out and trampled upon again.

It’s time to embrace and accept reality. And own it.

The Rams are a legitimate playoff contender.

There, that wasn’t so bad now was it? But why stop there?

The Rams are a legitimate threat to make a serious postseason run, too.

Boom. It’s out there.

And really, what’s to argue at this point?

Take a look at the rest of the NFC and tell me there’s a team that has all its bases covered like the Rams do right now.

An offense that’s generally been humming behind second-year quarterback Jared Goff, an offensive line playing as well as any in the league, a deep, versatile group of wide receivers and pass targets and running back Todd Gurley, the favorite for Comeback Player of the Year honors and the Most Valuable Player award.

They lead the league in scoring and are ninth in total yards. They are the sixth-best rushing team in the NFL and the 12th-best passing team. On both fronts, there is ample room to get even better.

There might be better defenses in the NFL, but after stabilizing themselves after a shaky initial transition to Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme, the Rams have surrendered just 39 points over the past 14 quarters and, by all data and metrics, seem to be getting even better while combining an underrated back-end pass defense with the big push being generated upfront by Aaron Donald and friends.

That’s not all.

The Rams special teams are as good as any in the NFL with punter Johnny Hekker, sure-footed kicker Greg Zuerlein and return and coverage units that have already scored touchdowns on a kickoff return and blocked punt, forced a critical fumbled punt and also picked up an important first down on a fake punt.

At various times this year, the Rams have beaten opponents by outgunning them offensively, slamming the door shut defensively or generating points via special teams. Sometimes all in the same game.

Few teams can say that. And fewer can confidently count on all three phases clicking on a game-to-game basis.

The Rams can.

Which means they are uniquely built to deal with whatever weather issues lay ahead. And they’re versatile and flexible enough that, if one part of their game is struggling, they can rely on multiple others to help steady the ship or, as they already have this year, flat out be the difference...
                            -10-24-2017, 01:58 PM
                          • Nick
                            Q&A: Rams GM Snead talks McVay, draft, and free agents at Senior Bowl
                            by Nick
                            Q&A: Rams General Manager Les Snead talks rookie Coach Sean McVay, draft needs and free agents at the Senior Bowl
                            Gary Klein Gary KleinContact Reporter

For the second time in two years, the Rams are in the midst of major transition.

In 2016, the franchise moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles. The Rams drew more than 90,000 to the Coliseum for an exhibition against the Dallas Cowboys, but fan interest waned by the end of a 4-12 season that included the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

New Coach Sean McVay, 31, is in the process of assembling his staff and assessing a roster that could have a far different look when quarterback Jared Goff, the top pick in the 2016 draft, begins his second season. McVay has hired veteran Wade Phillips to coordinate the defense.

Rams General Manager Les Snead attended Senior Bowl workouts this week in preparation for the NFL draft, which is scheduled for April 27-29 in Philadelphia. He sat down with Times reporter Gary Klein in Mobile, Ala., and answered questions about several topics.

What’s it been like to work with Sean McVay?
                            Exciting, because you see the young head coach but you also see him bring this unbelievable energy and passion to the job with that thought of how he wants to put together his staff and the puzzle there and what he’s trying to accomplish. … You’re working together to problem-solve, come up with solutions, come up with decisions and try to come up with what’s best for the Rams…. You can feel the chemistry developing based on just rolling up your sleeves and going to work and making your first decisions together.

You’ve dealt with people in your peer and age group and coaches who were older. This is a young coach. Has that been different for you?
                            My wife has joked, ‘Who are you going to hang out with more, him or [69-year-old] Wade?’…. It’s just a joke but what’s interesting is this is a young man’s sport, so in our business some of the most important people in the organization are, heck, 21 or 22. You’re used to being around and feeling youth. …. I know he’s young, but he seems like 40-something, and that’s probably in maturity and the way he goes about his business and his knowledge of football.

Another young guy: Jared Goff. When you look back on how he did this season and where he is going, what is your sense?
                            What he went through is only going to be positive in the future. It goes back to experience. … He knows what it’s like now. … What you got back is a very poised player — and adversity doesn’t rattle him. … Looking forward to seeing him grow because he’s felt and seen Sean come in and implement his offense, and Sean is really big on the quarterback. Jared’s chomping at the bit.

What are the biggest needs to be addressed or filled going into draft and the free-agent season?
                            I don’t know if I want to tell you exactly because it might tip hands, but I think...
                            -01-28-2017, 07:12 PM
                          Working...
                          X