McVay's now the mentor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McVay's now the mentor

Rams fans: "Not sure who our new Coordinators will be, but it goes without saying, they'll have more experience at the position than our wunderkind Head Coach."

McVay: "Hold my chardonnay."

Somehow, I say SOMEHOW, our 33-year-old HC with 3 years of experience is now the elder statesmen for the Rams top level coaches. Our new OC (34) has 1 year experience, and the new DC (37) has 0 years of experience. Maybe there's some special secret handshake that only young football geniuses know, and that's how McVay chose them. I don't know. But what I don't see is any sort of successful track record that would garner confidence in the choices. Now, don't get me wrong McVay has provided more Rams wins than any other 3-year span in the past nearly half century, outside of the GSOT. And with that obviously comes some earned goodwill. But even so, I still have to wonder about these selections.

I have a question. And let me preface it by saying, I've got no evidence of this, nothing substantial, just thinking out loud. So here's my question......What if the word is out on McVay that "You can't tell this kid nothing.". What if McVay was less than agreeable to the sage advice of his elders? What if Phillps and Fassel were more than happy to part ways with the kid? What if the Fassels and the Phillips of the NFL coaching world don't want to work with McVay?

Well, if so, then McVay's choices would be limited to young inexperienced coaches to fill the void. And here we are.

I hope that's not the case. I hope that McVay just recognizes young genius when he sees it. But it makes me wonder.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Your first paragraph is well stated and perfectly sums up my concerns as well. I've conveyed as such in several other threads. I have no issue with giving an upstart coach a shot. But when you're replacing TWO coordinators and the head guy is 34 years old, it give you pause.

In your second paragraph, the question you pose is valid, but as I've said before, I truly do not see McVay as the arrogant, know it all type. I'm sure like all coaches or people in positions of decision-making he has his convictions and times when he's convinced his way is the best way. But the way he has publicly conducted himself gives me no reason to think he's someone who now because he's got a couple years in he feels he has all the answers. I'm convinced the departure of Phillips and Fassel was the result of a combination of things: advanced salary, an opportunity to go elsewhere (Fassel) and perhaps an organizational desire to simply shake things up. Not sure I'm right and not sure we'll ever really know, but it's just my impression.

Comment

Honestly, it seems like wild speculation - so perhaps a perfect fit on a sports message board!

I think as a rookie head coach, McVay needed all the help he could get from experienced guys like Phillips and Fassel. Now that he has some years under his belt, he feels - for better or worse - that he doesn't need the "elder statesmen" kind of assistant under him and instead wants someone young and hungry, ready to prove themselves.

Only time will tell how it works out, but I wouldn't think this is a sign of a character flaw in McVay. If anything, he seems to be displaying some pretty good self awareness and growth by reshaping the staff to fit where he is as a head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Honestly, it seems like wild speculation - so perhaps a perfect fit on a sports message board!

I think as a rookie head coach, McVay needed all the help he could get from experienced guys like Phillips and Fassel. Now that he has some years under his belt, he feels - for better or worse - that he doesn't need the "elder statesmen" kind of assistant under him and instead wants someone young and hungry, ready to prove themselves.

Only time will tell how it works out, but I wouldn't think this is a sign of a character flaw in McVay. If anything, he seems to be displaying some pretty good self awareness and growth by reshaping the staff to fit where he is as a head coach.
        Well of course it's wild speculation. That's what we do.

I too am hopeful that this is him reaching a point where he wants to mold the coordinators in his own image rather than be molded by his elders. I just hope that image is a good one.

Comment

Does McVay have all the say on who got hired on were Snead and Demoff part of the decision?

Comment

Simply look at the head coaches playing this weekend, with the exception of Andy Reid. Success isn't always linked to age or years of experience, its what thinking can you bring to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
              Simply look at the head coaches playing this weekend, with the exception of Andy Reid. Success isn't always linked to age or years of experience, its what thinking can you bring to the table.
              Combined experience of Head Coach and Coordinators:
              Chiefs - 33 years
              Titans - 16 years
              Packers - 18 years
              Whiners - 15 years
              Rams - 4 years

I get your point that guys like Vrabel and LaFleur are young, but they all have experience behind them in their coordinators. Now like I've said, O'Connell and Staley may be the ticket to get our offense and defense rolling; I certainly hope so. I'm just saying there is a noticeable lack of experience at our highest levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Perhaps the inexperience of the new coaches will lead to a high level of interaction between the coaches and McVay. The new guys should have a lot of questions and McVay will really have to think out the "whys" of actions. Not that may not happened with Phillips, but Phillips may have been left on his own more often than not.
                “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

Combined experience of Head Coach and Coordinators:
                  Chiefs - 33 years
                  Titans - 16 years
                  Packers - 18 years
                  Whiners - 15 years
                  Rams - 4 years

I get your point that guys like Vrabel and LaFleur are young, but they all have experience behind them in their coordinators. Now like I've said, O'Connell and Staley may be the ticket to get our offense and defense rolling; I certainly hope so. I'm just saying there is a noticeable lack of experience at our highest levels.
                  Point well taken. i agree that experience has a role in the process. My perceived understanding of the McVay mindset is that if a position coach or coordinator has some thinking the could help the Rams he's willing to take that risk. He traveled the experience road with Wade but chose to move on. The obvious question becomes why. We were not a bad or ineffective defense. There are only a few reasons I can think of why he made that move.

1 - Wade didn't connect with his players as well as McVay would have liked.
                  2- That inability to connect resulted in some uninspired play by the defense in various games this past season, Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Dallas are the most glaring examples.
                  3- The Staley hire presents some new thinking from the Fangio philosophy of defense. Promoting Barry or Pleasant may solve the connection issue, but is mired in the Wade Phillips defensive approach.
                  4 - Given our cap situation being able to coach up some younger or ascending talent is essential and perhaps Staley was able to convince McVay he could do that better than anyone else being considered.

I don't think any one of these reasons answers the question, or maybe it does, but it seems to me the answer is combination of them. Let us also remember that Sean McVay was hired probably more for his potential than years of bona fide experience. That has to influence his thinking too.

Comment

Coach W. Phillips had four decades of experience. **Wink**

And counting ... though now at Cleveland Browns[?].

Yes, we're left with little cumulative experience.

All eyes are on you Dear Coach McVay.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Point well taken. i agree that experience has a role in the process. My perceived understanding of the McVay mindset is that if a position coach or coordinator has some thinking the could help the Rams he's willing to take that risk. He traveled the experience road with Wade but chose to move on. The obvious question becomes why. We were not a bad or ineffective defense. There are only a few reasons I can think of why he made that move.

1 - Wade didn't connect with his players as well as McVay would have liked.
                      2- That inability to connect resulted in some uninspired play by the defense in various games this past season, Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Dallas are the most glaring examples.
                      3- The Staley hire presents some new thinking from the Fangio philosophy of defense. Promoting Barry or Pleasant may solve the connection issue, but is mired in the Wade Phillips defensive approach.
                      4 - Given our cap situation being able to coach up some younger or ascending talent is essential and perhaps Staley was able to convince McVay he could do that better than anyone else being considered.

I don't think any one of these reasons answers the question, or maybe it does, but it seems to me the answer is combination of them. Let us also remember that Sean McVay was hired probably more for his potential than years of bona fide experience. That has to influence his thinking too.
                      All good points. And my hope is that you're correct. I believe (or at least want to believe) that this was not any sort of falling out, but just a "thank you for your service, but we're trying something different" type situation. Phillips and Fassel weren't fired; they finished their contract. There just wasn't a new contract. Hopefully, that says that McVay has solidified his vision and knows where he wants to take the team.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
                        Does McVay have all the say on who got hired on were Snead and Demoff part of the decision?
                        Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

Does anyone know?
                          I doubt anyone here knows for certain. I would venture to guess that it is common practice around the NFL to let the HC pick his staff. And I would also guess that the Rams/McVay are no exception.

Comment

With the Staley hire I have to revise my earlier prediction that Dante Fowler would like this move due to his role as the Rams "Von Miller". That was based on Staley's previous role as the OLB coach in Denver. Given the Rams volume of UFA's this year, I'm beginning to think Fowler may be allowed to find his "deal" elsewhere, unless he's willing to take a huge hometown discount. We probably can't afford Ramsey, Littleton & Fowler who will be in the $16m range. Staley may be able to coach up Ekuban as a starter.

Comment