2020 Offensive Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Offensive Line

If the season started today, the O-line is some arrangement of Joe Noteboom, David Edwards, Rob Havenstein, Bobby Evans, Austin Corbett and Brian Allen. Maybe I'm wrong, but regardless of how those 6 shake into 5 OL spots, I don't see one that says to me, "Hey, they're a lock". I believe any/all could be upgraded in the offseason. So how to upgrade?

We've got $19M in cap space. Cutting Weddle loose creates another $4M. If Goff will restructure, that's upwards of another $16M for 2020. Looking at our UFA of note (Whitworth, Zuerlein, Littleton, Fowler, Brockers), I'd love to bring most of them back, but I'm sure won't be able to. I'd say Littleton should be job 1, which probably means Fowler is gone. Just not enough money for both. But I much prefer the idea of Obo and/or Ebukam stepping in for Fowler, than finding a suitable replacement for Littleton. So with all that, maybe, MAYBE, we have enough money to sign a high-end FA for the O-line. Here's some options:

OT
    Anthony Castonzo - He's 32, but probably the best LT option on the market.
    DJ Humphries - Injury history, but coming off his best season (and full season) at 26.
    Jack Conklin - Excellent RT, if that's where we want to upgrade.
    Bryan Bulaga - If he's healthy, he's the best RT option available

OG
    Brandon Scherff - He's missed some games the past two seasons, but he's outstanding(!) if he's healthy.
    Joe Thuney - He's probably getting a fat contract, but he may be worth it, especially as a pass blocker.
    Graham Glasgow - Probably the best G/C swingman on the market. Could upgrade any of 3 different positions.

C
    Connor McGovern - Not a rich market for Centers, but he's the best of the bunch. Worth a look.

But what about the draft? We've got a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounder that could help, right?

By the 2nd round there will probably be 4-6 OTs off the board, but there are still several OT prospects that could project to us (Trey Adams, Prince Tega Wanogho, Josh Jones). There's several great OG prospects (Solomon Kindley, Shane Lemieux, Deonte Brown) who may or may not be 1st rounders, but I'm betting at least 1 of them is available at our 2nd round pick. At C, there's another 3 guys (Jake Hansen, Creed Humphrey, Tyler Biadasz) that fall into the same boat. At least 1 of them is certainly there in the 2nd, potentially another one in the 3rd.

If everything works out in a good manner, this offseason could supply 2 or 3 new starters.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Excellent article / analysis Bison. True prospects as well.

Our Rams OL has hope after all, relatively.

Comment

Very spot-on analysis HUb. I've read articles that indicate the Rams may try to trade Havenstein as his contract is a burden and his style of play isn't what the Rams need to adopt. That is a more athletic type of play rather than the huge power blocking type of O-Lineman. Plus Bobby Evans has shown some real good RT play when he was starting for the injured Havenstein. As you say, the draft has some viable options but at LT I'm not sure a rookie is a realistic option. The key question will be, is Costanzo worth the presumable upgrade in pay over a Whitworth at a reasonable amount given his decline in performance. A better LG next to Whitworth may be an answer we've overlooked.

I believe Center will be a focal point as Allen is a back-up at best, Blythe is likely playing elsewhere so the draft becomes a supply chain. Hansen and Biadasz are good options but I can't see the Rams going there at #52. BTW, I think Humphrey has opted to stay in school. Another option could be Caesar Ruiz from Michigan.

Jones had a great Senior Bowl week that may move him earlier than we're selecting. Would love to get Kindley but he too may be gone. There some small school guys that we may look into such as Ben Barch from St. John's.

Agree with your point about Fowler leaving rather than Littleton, but check out Jordan Brooks at ILB from Texas Tech who is more pass and run defense skilled. I think both those players will be a money decision based on affordability. Having Staley as the DC and keeping Barry as the LB coach will make this a highly intensive area for the Rams. This is a good LB draft so a solid edge rusher pick could enter the picture. Rest assured Les Snead will engineer more picks for us than we currently have. I keep reading that we have no 5th round pick, but I think we have Baltimore's as part of the Marcus Peters trade. WalterFootball indicates as much.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
        I keep reading that we have no 5th round pick, but I think we have Baltimore's as part of the Marcus Peters trade. WalterFootball indicates as much.
        Yes, we gained a 5th in the Peters trade, but we gave up a 5th to the Jags for Fowler the year before, and this year, just gave a 5th to Miami to take over Aqib Talib's contract. So I'm fairly certain the reports that say Rams do not "currently" have a 5th this year are correct.

I add quotation marks on the "currently" because Rams are likely to get a compensatory pick in the 4th or 5th round range. So we may end up with a 5th after all... but hopefully it'll be a 4th

Comment

We ... M - U - S - T ...
          come up with that special blend, the right blend of rookies and veterans.

Nothing new of course. All pro sports teams do this, every year (Captain Obvious).

That's why I like the various player possibilities mentioned by HUbison above for 2020.

Comment

2020 oline. Tackles- Orlando Pace and Jackie Slater. Guards tom mack and dennis harrah. Center Doug Smith

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

My sentimentiments are the same as last year - shore up the O-line. If we can't run the ball we're screwed. If we can't keep teams honest by way of a successful running game, it will be another long and brutal year. Good post Hub ...

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                2020 oline. Tackles- Orlando Pace and Jackie Slater. Guards tom mack and dennis harrah. Center Doug Smith

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                THESE are the type of offensive linemen I prefer: Big, punishing blockers whose size allows them to both open massive holes for running backs AND keep guys off the QB. Smith wasn't huge, but Slater and Pace were huge Hall-of-Fame tackles, Mack a HOF tackle/guard and Dennis Harrah part of an outstanding line that helped Eric Dickerson achieve the success he had. History shows us these are the types of offensive lines that help teams win titles: The massive Dallas Cowboys lines, the Hogs in Washington, the great Raider teams, and I could go on. Certainly there is more than one way to skin a cat, but I am typically not in favor of the more "athletic" type of smaller linemen- guys who are quick but can be manhandled and eventually worn down by big defensive lines. If the counter to this point is to say that big guys on the line are vulnerable to speed rushers on the outside, that's a risk I'm prepared to take. That's where tight ends and running backs must come into play to assist in blocking.

As far as trading Havenstein, I've said it before: the Rams must be VERY CAREFUL. Trading a proven commodity on the O-line is risky business, and one had better have a real good plan if they choose to do so. How many times during the course of a season do we hear "The (insert team here) is woefully thin on the line?" How many times have we defended poor quarterback play by railing against sub-par offensive line play?

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post

Yes, we gained a 5th in the Peters trade, but we gave up a 5th to the Jags for Fowler the year before, and this year, just gave a 5th to Miami to take over Aqib Talib's contract. So I'm fairly certain the reports that say Rams do not "currently" have a 5th this year are correct.
                  Thanks for clearing up that confusion. You are absolutely correct we did give away a pick with Talib to get his salary off our cap.

Big and athletic are not mutually exclusive. I think the article I read was taking into account that we need to be creative in our blocking for a running game that no longer has the explosive burst of Todd Gurley. Smaller O-Linemen do get pushed around, witness Brian Allen our center. But size and athleticism are essential for the quickness of today's defenders. It isn't necessarily an either or situation. I too revel in the players we had on our O-line, but would they be as effective in today's game. Would these players be able to contain Aaron Donald simply because of size.

NJ, I agree the Rams must be careful about trading Havenstein, but the gist was that he is among the outsized contracts we have awarded lately that are hindering our cap space.
                  Last edited by mde8352gorams; -01-28-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

THESE [Pace, Slater, Smith et al] are the type of offensive linemen I prefer... Mack a HOF tackle/guard...

As far as trading Havenstein, I've said it before: the Rams must be VERY CAREFUL. Trading a proven commodity on the O-line is risky business, and one had better have a real good plan if they choose to do so. How many times during the course of a season do we hear "The (insert team here) is woefully thin on the line?" How many times have we defended poor quarterback play by railing against sub-par offensive line play?

Tom Mack, consistent as the NFL is a league. 13 year career, all Rams. A steadfast LGuard (not tackle).

Totally agree about Havenstein.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

My thoughts exactly. The Rams FO has handed out many overreaching contracts placing the organization in this cap mess. IMO they got a little too cute. Cooks, Gurley, Goff, Havenstein. All playing below where they were. So, as NJ initmates…..be careful.

As for running the ball. What are the Rams to do? The team knows more about Gurley then we do. The only bit I have to go on is his utilization in 2019. He routinely looked like a shell of himself

Let's see what the Rams have up their sleeves. The NFC West is not cooperating......and there is a big hill for the Rams to climb with all of their cap issues
                      Last edited by HUbison; -01-29-2020, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Backups for the 2020 offensive line. Tackles- Irv Pankey, Charlie Cowan Guards- Riley "the rattlesnake" Matheson, Joe Scibelli and Adam Timmerman. Center- Rich Saul

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                          Backups for the 2020 offensive line. Tackles- Irv Pankey, Charlie Cowan Guards- Riley "the rattlesnake" Matheson, Joe Scibelli and Adam Timmerman. Center- Rich Saul

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                          No argument with those listed, but you've overlooked Kent Hill who I believe comes from your part of the country. Your posts about these old-timers hasn't removed the stain of our F'ups with Alex Barron and Greg Robinson. Nice memories GC.

Comment

Originally posted by General Counsel View Post
                            Backups for the 2020 offensive line.
                            Tackles- Irv Pankey, Charlie Cowan
                            Guards- Riley "Rattlesnake" Matheson, Joe Scibelli and Adam Timmerman.
                            Center- Rich Saul

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel

Click image for larger version  Name:	Riley 'Rattlesnake' Matheson.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	831547

Riley Matheson. Now that's going waaaaay back GC! I just read he played guard for both the Cleveland and the L.A. Rams, up to 1947; also worked the LB position. Was nicknamed 'Rattlesnake' because according to legend, he was bitten a few times by the rattlers ... and they died.

Honorable mention at C: Ken Iman. L.A. Rams from 1965-74, right before Saul.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ken Iman, Rams Ca.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.6 KB ID:	831548

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ken Iman, Rams Cb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	831549

Circa 1968. Ken Iman (50) is sipping plain water -- Gatorade not yet in the NFL -- flanked by Guard Joe Scibelli (71), Tom Mack (65) and receiver Bernie Casey (25). No. 22 is RB Dick Bass (Rams 1960-69).

We've had some truly great OL over the decades. Those mentioned already and others like HOF Bob 'Boomer' Brown (even if only two years with the Rams, '68-69); Don Chuy (63-68), Joe Carollo, etc.

Comment

No mention of John "the turnstile" St. Clair?

Comment