whitworth to play in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitworth to play in 2020

Multiple sources reporting that whitworth has decided to play in 2020. Let's hope its for us and at the right price.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Originally posted by General Counsel View Post
    Multiple sources reporting that Whitworth has decided to play in 2020. Let's hope its for us and at the right price.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel

Yes, let's hope so. Good for big Andy. Talk about running [almost] on empty! Also, if he returns with the Rams, I hope his last[?] year will surface the good / great experience in him, better play, fewer penalties.

NFL Rumors LA Rams bringing back Andrew Whitworth for 2020
    From FANSIDED
    By Bret Stuter
    Feb. 04, 2020

NFL Rumors report that LA Rams will re-sign
    LT Andrew Whitworth for the 2020 NFL season
    per Ian Rapoport

The LA Rams have some work to do to fix their offensive line. The Rams need to replace the services of outgoing left tackle Andrew Whitworth and guard/center Austin Blythe, who are bound to the 2020 NFL Free Agency market. Of course, the plug-n-play rookies of Bobby Evans and David Edwards played better than expected. But by the time they were promoted to the starting line-up, the Rams expectations had fallen pretty low.

We had covered the Rams offensive line woes, and in the process learned that left tackle Andrew Whitworth was actually the highest graded offensive lineman for the LA Rams in 2019. That led us to argue for the Rams re-signing Whitworth for 2020. In short, the Rams had failed to draft his successor, and so the team is forced to bring him back on a short duration contract while the team develops his replacement.

Today, February 4, 2020, Ian Rappaport weighed in on the matter of the Rams and LT Andrew Whitworth, and endorsed the rumors that the Rams will be re-signing Andrew Whitworth.

That is huge news for the Rams. Whitworth is not only a solid left tackle, but he has been incredibly effective in coaching up rookie teammates around him. And that takes a huge item off the shopping list for general manager Les Snead.

Of course, how much will the team pay Whitworth for 2020 and beyond? The most likely scenario is a short duration contract with limited guaranteed money.

Perhaps a two-year deal in the $10-15 million total range. That will provide enough of a beachhead for the Rams to draft an eventual left tackle to replace Whitworth, or coach up a suitable successor from among the many young offensive linemen currently on the roster.

Whitworth's return does not improve the LA Rams offensive line[!?!]. But it certainly gives them a strong beachhead to ensure 2020 has a chance of doing so. This reinforces the likelihood that the Rams will be drafting Whitworth's prótegé in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft.

Comment

Listen, the "veteran leadership" narrative is all good and well, but the bottom line is that Whitworth's performance slumped noticeably last year, and thinking a 38-39 year old guy is going to experience some great resurgence is folly. And saying "he was the highest grade offensive lineman on the Rams in 2019" is kind of like being the tallest midget in the room. The same people who like this move will be the same people making excuses for Goff and Gurley when they don't get adequate time to run or throw.

I appreciate what Whitworth gave us upon his arrival here, but this isn't a move I'm enthused over. Best we can hope for is that Whitworth holds the fort and doesn't kill us with penalties or whiffs on pass protection.
      Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

AW has been a durable retread. Uh-oh, an 'OLDER retread'.

Depth? Mentor? An OLDER retread starter?

Must check that grip and traction.

Comment

I like Whit. But just not sure he is still viable. And the Rams with there whacky contracts are in for a very interesting off season. Some movement on restructuring needs to come to the surface. This just adds to the cap dilemma. Hopefully the price is right.....

Comment

I think he is still viable, albeit below prior performance level. Bottom line is what better options do we have and how much is it going to cost. We have no functional internal candidate right now in my view and i dont see how we are going to afford a guy better than whitworth in free agency. His penalties were awful last year, but i believe i read he was second in the nfl for least sacks allowed at the left tackle position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
              Multiple sources reporting that whitworth has decided to play in 2020. Let's hope its for us and at the right price.
              "Right price" is the key. Whitworth's play dropped off significantly in 2019, and I can't imagine any improvement in 2020. The only way this makes sense is if he comes back at a discount as a stop gap.

Comment

Whitworth allowed 1.5 sacks in 2019 and the rams oline allowed the least sacks in the nfl. he also had the second most holding penalties (9) in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I would like to see him back for a year at least

Comment

Whitworth allowed 1.5 sacks in 2019 and the rams oline allowed the least sacks in the nfl. he also had the second most holding penalties (9) in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    Talk about ying and yang. If this is his level of performance in 2020, I would not be disappointed. My fear is that another year may not be kind to his abilities.

I would love for the Rams to keep him in a coaching role.
                    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Andrew had 3 holding penalties in 2018. He increased to 9 this past year. Is that a sign of his age progression? or??

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
                        Andrew had 3 holding penalties in 2018. He increased to 9 this past year. Is that a sign of his age progression? or??
                        I think it's definitely a sign that his abilities are diminishing, and that he had difficulty holding up against opposing pass rushers. I don't see how he improves in 2020. I just hope if he comes back, he's not a consistent liability.

Comment

I think he is still viable, albeit below prior performance level. Bottom line is what better options do we have and how much is it going to cost. We have no functional internal candidate right now in my view and i dont see how we are going to afford a guy better than whitworth in free agency. His penalties were awful last year, but i believe i read he was second in the nfl for least sacks allowed at the left tackle position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                          I'm in agreement with your position. Our alternatives aren't great. Yes he needs to be signed for the right price. I do believe with a stronger LG next to Whitworth he can be a more solid protector and perhaps open lanes for RB's. There are no quick answers for the holding penalties, but his ankle problems may have caused some of that.

Given the multitude of spots we may need to fill due to FA departures taking LT off the list for round 2 may be helpful. AW doesn't strike me as a type of player who simply wants to stick around for the money if his skill set deteriorates too much. Let's remember Jackie Slater was with us for @20 years.

Comment

it is not lost on us that we are debating the signing of a 39 yo guy as the best option for LT? Lot's t do this offseason. Spend/Restructure wisely

Comment

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                              To his credit, one of those holding calls was a legal pancake block well down field that should never have been called holding. Does 8 still rank him as second worst, or tie him with a host of others? That doesn't sound like a lot considering how many passing plays he supported.

gap

Comment