X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams hire South Carolina RB coach Thomas Brown to fill same role

Bruce Feldman
    @BruceFeldmanCFB

SOURCES: #SouthCarolina RB coach Thomas Brown is expected to take a job on the #Rams staff.
    The former #UGA running back didn’t coach Bulldogs great Todd Gurley in Athens but have heard they are close.

2:38 PM · Feb 8, 2020·Twitter Web App
    Brown played at Georga from 2004-2007, eventually went back to Georgia in 2011 to be their strength & conditioning coach, and then coached RBs for them in 2015.

If the report is accurate in that they're close, it's hard to imagine the Rams will trade or release Gurley this offseason as some have speculated.

Again I say, "interesting". Not much to talk about (yet) regarding RB Coach Brown.

Hopefully he will not only advocate but H E L P Gurley & Co.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USC TBrwn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	831633

Professional career

Atlanta Falcons

Brown was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. His rookie season was cut short by a horse collar tackle during the preseason, landing him on injured reserve. He was waived prior to the following season on September 5, 2009.

Cleveland Browns

Brown was signed to the Cleveland Browns practice squad on November 10, 2009. He was promoted to the active roster on January 2, 2010 after LB David Veikune was placed on injured reserve. He was released June 17, 2010.

Coaching career

2011 Georgia (HC)
    2012 Chattanooga (RB)
    2013 Marshall (RB)
    2014 Wisconsin (RB)
    2015 Georgia (RB)
    2016-18 Miami (OC-RB)
    2019 So. Carolina (RB)

In 2012, Brown was hired as running backs coach for the Chattanooga Mocs. n 2013, Brown was hired at the same position for the Marshall Thundering Herd.

On February 24, 2014, Brown was hired to be the Wisconsin Badgers running back coach.

On February 16, 2015, Brown returned to his alma mater as the running backs coach at University of Georgia under head coach Mark Richt, under whom Brown played. The move united the position coach of the 2014 NCAA rushing yards leader, Melvin Gordon, with one of the nation's most prolific returning running backs in Nick Chubb.

On December 30 2015, Brown was hired to be the running backs coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Miami, where he would work under Mark Richt again.

On January 9, 2019, Brown was named the running backs coach at the University of South Carolina

2013-2017 Sources:
    Chattanooga Times Free Press
    The Herald-Dispatch
    UWBadgers.com
    UGA Sports
    CBS Sports

Comment

On paper this seems like a solid move. His coaching of college RB's certainly points in the upward direction for getting Darrell Henderson more productive as he went through that process personally. His role as a strength and conditioning coach may prove critical in keeping Todd Gurley closer to his 2017/2018 performance. Their friendship should enable a bond of trust to form as TG may need that guidance. TG doesn't need to be taught how to be a running back. The onus will be on the Rams to fortify the O-Line.

Based on the numbers with TG's contract I believe he'll be with the Rams for the 2020 season. No team would likely accept him on a trade and cutting him would cause a huge hit to our cap. A restructure would also seem unlikely as that would force the Rams to deal with his condition for more years to come.

Now we need a Special Teams Coordinator since John Fassel has lost his mind in thinking Mike McCarthy will be anything more than Jason Garrett with a larger waistline.

Comment

I don't know much about Brown and therefore don't feel real qualified to judge whether or not this move is a good one. What I WILL SAY is that I do not feel Gurley's diminished productivity has anything to do with coaching. I think the guy has a legitimate knee degeneration, as has been reported time and again, and it makes no difference who his position coach is. I think the Rams tried in earnest to lessen his workload a bit, which resulted in some questionable offensive play calling and decision-making throughout the season. Moving forward, I just don't think it's realistic to expect Gurley to experience a resurgence- regardless of who coaches the running backs.

I think the argument one can successfully make for dismissing the previous running backs coach is that the other backs underwhelmed in 2019.

Comment

Well said NJ. Good post.

Comment

Gurley is not going to be back to his previous form due to a new RB coach IMO. This is more for others.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
              What do you think of OL Jamon Brown (Rd 3)?
              by Nick
              Let's discuss the pick!
              Love it!
              14.71%
              Like it.
              67.65%
              Indifferent.
              11.76%
              Disappointed.
              5.88%
              Angry!!
              0.00%
              -05-01-2015, 08:01 PM
            • Rip32
              Brown Sets Sights On Starting
              by Rip32
              Brown Sets Sights on Starting
              Friday, March 31, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
              Senior Writer

On the surface, the Rams’ signing of cornerback Fakhir Brown on March 14 might have been a simple afterthought in the grand scheme of the team’s many offseason moves.

But, if Brown has his way, the move will be much more than a simple under the radar signing.

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”

It didn’t take much for Brown to agree to a five-year deal with the Rams considering what he perceived as a prime opportunity to have his breakout season.

Soon after his arrival for a free agent visit in mid-March, Brown put pen to paper on a contract. The reasons for his choosing St. Louis were obvious. Jim Haslett, his former head coach in New Orleans is now in charge of the Rams defense, giving Brown a chance for a comfortable transition to St. Louis.

“I look at him like he’s still the head coach because that’s the only thing I know him as,” Brown said. “It seems to me that he will be just the same as he was in New Orleans.”

But, perhaps more important for Brown was what Haslett and the rest of the coaching staff told him about his potential role in St. Louis. In his time with the Saints, Brown had been limited almost exclusively to a role as the nickel back and on special teams until 2004 when he started the final 10 games of the year. He finished that season with two interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 65 tackles.

Brown seemed to be on the verge of a breakout after that performance, but things changed again after he chose to stage a holdout in hopes of a new contract. He didn’t miss any minicamp or training camp, but it didn’t help to miss a chunk of the offseason conditioning program.

Brown started the year as the team’s starting cornerback in 2005, but suffered a knee injury that cost him four games. By the time he returned from that injury and a legal issue, Fred Thomas had the starting job essentially nailed down.

When he was on the field, he was playing in nickel or sub packages, only called upon when opponents went to three or four receiver packages. Brown started four games and finished with 31 tackles, six passes defended.

Now, Brown has the contract he had been looking for after 2004 and the opportunity that he has long sought.

“It feels very good for me,” Brown said. “I talked to the defensive coaches once I made it here. I have talked to the coaches and everyone is making me feel comfortable and at home. They are just telling me to keep doing what I have been doing and everything will work out well.”

In signing with St. Louis, Brown joins a crowded defensive back field that is wanting for talented cover men. As it stands, the Rams...
              -03-31-2006, 01:07 PM
              Fakhir Brown
              by Guest
              Has anyone heard anything about Brown because after listening to Jim Thomas on the radio to me it seems like the rams feel like he might not be available to them at the beginning of this season if not longer just like last year. He never comes out and says that but he alludes that they know something they can't really talk about.

I listened to it on STL Sports Insider - St. Louis Rams
              -03-23-2008, 12:40 PM
            • DJRamFan
              UMass, Northeastern reach settlement over coach
              by DJRamFan
              June 25, 2004
              SportsLine.com wire reports

BOSTON -- The University of Massachusetts agreed to suspend football coach Don Brown for this season's first three games and issued a public apology to Northeastern for recruiting and hiring him away, all part of a settlement ending a lawsuit.

Advertisement

Northeastern said Friday it will receive $150,000 from UMass for the cost of recruiting a replacement for Brown, who was under contract to Northeastern when he agreed in February to take over at its Atlantic 10 rival. A UMass spokesman would not confirm the compensation.

"In retrospect, I realize that what we at UMass did was wrong, and certainly could have been handled in a much more constructive and less confrontational manner," Chancellor John V. Lombardi said in a statement.

In February, the Minutemen hired Brown to replace Mark Whipple, who was hired as quarterbacks coach by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Brown was Whipple's defensive coordinator at Massachusetts for two seasons before taking the head coaching job at Northeastern in 2000.

Northeastern obtained an injunction preventing Brown from coaching, claiming a breach of contract. Superior Court Judge Thomas E. Connolly found that Brown "willfully and intentionally breached his contract" and that UMass-Amherst "actively induced the breach."

Brown was under contract to coach Northeastern through 2008. He was required to obtain approval from the school before negotiating or accepting other jobs.

The injunction was later lifted after the sides agreed to work out a compromise.

"All along we have believed that a contract is a two-way street and should be viewed that way," Northeastern athletic director Dave O'Brien said. "The court's decision and the settlement are reflective of that principle."

Northeastern has since hired former Temple assistant R.E. "Rocky" Hager, who won two Division II championships at North Dakota State.

Lombardi's statement, which UMass spokesmen said was vetted through school lawyers, said the school "will undertake to suspend" Brown from coaching the first three games. UMass opens its season Sept. 4 at Delaware State, then returns home to Amherst for games Sept. 11 against Colgate and Sept. 18 against Richmond.

Northeastern and UMass meet in November.
              -06-28-2004, 01:41 PM
            • dgr828
              Josh ("Charley") Brown
              by dgr828
              Agggh! Good grief! You blockhead!
              -12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
            Working...
            X