Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams let go of Todd Gurley

As per their web site

The Los Angeles Rams have released running back Todd Gurley.

Gurley, 25, was the Rams' first-round pick out of Georgia in 2015. The Tarboro, North Carolina native started 72 games for the franchise, rushing for 5,404 yards and 58 touchdowns. His 70 total touchdowns rank fourth in team history, while his total rushing yards are fifth-most in team history.

Following the 2017 and 2018 seasons, Gurley earned back-to-back First Team All-Pro recognition from the Associated Press. He also was also named to the Pro Bowl three times during his Rams tenure. In 2019, Gurley's 12 rushing touchdowns moved him into a tie with Marshall Faulk for most career rushing touchdowns in team history.

The departure of Gurley leaves L.A.'s backfield with 26-year-old Malcolm Brown and 2019 third-round pick Darrell Henderson Jr. as its top two running backs. Brown carried the ball 69 times for 255 yards and five touchdowns in 14 games last season, while Henderson added 39 carries for 147 yards in 13 games in his rookie campaign.
    Last edited by RamDez; -03-19-2020, 01:08 PM.

Well, there you have it. I presume there wasn't a trade partner, so they ripped the band-aid off.

Quoting Rich Hammond...

Rich Hammond
    @Rich_Hammond
    So, to run the numbers real quick, Todd Gurley was going to have a cap hit of $17.25 million. The Rams have to eat $20.15 million in releasing him. Cutting loose Clay Matthews saves $3.75 million, which mitigates all of that extra money (and a little more).

Comment

"The Rams will absorb a $20.15 million dead-money hit if he was released with a pre-June 1 designation. They will save $2.9 in salary cap space."

If true, and I don't know how it can be, between Matthews and Gurley, the Rams have cleared 6.65m on the cap this year.
      Last edited by Richbert88; -03-19-2020, 05:41 PM.
      Semper Fi!

Comment

getting room to sign Ramsey.....

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
          getting room to sign Ramsey.....
          yes, as we all know how a shutdown corner is the key to winning championships not draft picks

Comment

In the end, the Rams tried to negotiate with Gurley to make him cap friendly and he refused. Now he will sign somewhere else on a lot less. So I am not crying for him, just us.

Comment

What cluster****[email protected]@

Comment

Originally posted by punahou View Post

yes, as we all know how a shutdown corner is the key to winning championships not draft picks
                I hear you. I have voiced my issues with the Ramsey trade. It is what it is

Comment

I hear you. I have voiced my issues with the Ramsey trade. It is what it is
                  Given what we are likely to face 6x next year and beyond you may begin to value Ramsey a lot more. The Cards have added De Hop, the ***** at #13 are likely to select a top flight WR and Seattle already has DJ Metcalf from last year's draft. I also believe we will be adding a CB in this upcoming draft to cover the other side from Ramsey. as the 3 I mentioned are just the surface, there are other dangerous receivers on our division rivals too.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Given what we are likely to face 6x next year and beyond you may begin to value Ramsey a lot more. The Cards have added De Hop, the ***** at #13 are likely to select a top flight WR and Seattle already has DJ Metcalf from last year's draft. I also believe we will be adding a CB in this upcoming draft to cover the other side from Ramsey. as the 3 I mentioned are just the surface, there are other dangerous receivers on our division rivals too.
                    once again, I do not take away from his ability. I think the trade was not worth it.

Comment

This one really hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Ramsey doesn't match up well against Hopkins.

Comment

i hate the idea that we cut him after littleton left, but i guess we didnt intend to pay littleton in any event. I think cooks is next

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

once again, I do not take away from his ability. I think the trade was not worth it.
                            No argument. We paid a very high price.

Comment

Well I guess when he plays for a new team we'll find out if he really is hurt or not, or whether his heart is in the game anymore. Or was there behind the scenes drama we'll never know about? We all know from watching him, something was not right. He simply did not have the speed or moves of years past. This hurts big time cap wise, but if he's not playing anyway, might as well take the tiny bit of cap savings we get from not having him and move on.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                Struggling Rams RB Todd Gurley could see more targets as a receiver
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Struggling Rams RB Todd Gurley could see more targets as a receiver

Oct 3, 2016
                                Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday that Todd Gurley is "very close" to breaking off big runs.

He's been saying that for four weeks now.

Gurley was held to a mere 33 yards on 19 carries in Sunday's 17-13 win over theArizona Cardinals. That's 1.74 yards per attempt, the lowest rate among his 16 career NFL starts.

For the season, Gurley has amassed only 216 yards on 82 carries, ranking 44th among 45 qualified running backs (Adrian Peterson is the only one below Gurley, but Peterson has only played in two games). Stretching back even further, Gurley has been held below 100 yards in 11 of his last 12 games.

"As long as I keep winning, I can care less," Gurley said after his team's third straight win on Sunday. "It don’t even matter to me.”

But the winning probably isn't sustainable if Gurley isn't effective.

Fisher said "the line of scrimmage was full of Cardinals" on Sunday, as is normally the case. So the Rams used Gurley a little bit more in the passing game. He hauled in a one-handed catch on a lob pass that turned into a 33-yard gain early in the third quarter, then converted a key third-and-8 down the stretch, running out to the flat, catching Case Keenum's throw, cutting to the inside and gaining the extra yardage two plays before Brian Quick caught the winning touchdown.

Gurley finished with five catches for 49 yards, giving him a more respectable 82 yards from scrimmage.

Pass-catching ability is an underrated part of Gurley's game, a skill that wasn't on display very often during a rookie season that saw him finish as the NFL's third-leading rusher.

But the running lanes haven't been there frequently enough for Gurley this year. He's averaging the NFL's third-fewest yards before first contact (0.90), with teams continuing to dare the Rams to beat them through the air. According to Pro Football Reference, Gurley is the first running back in history with 80-plus carries in his team's first four games and less than 2.75 yards per attempt.

"Obviously the running game hasn’t been going as well," Gurley said Sunday night. "But hey, I got a couple passes in the backfield. That was key."

Look for the Rams to continue exploring that....
                                -10-06-2016, 04:27 PM
                              • RockinRam
                                Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
                                by RockinRam
                                • By Chris Wesseling
                                • Around the NFL Writer
                                • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
                                • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
                                Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
                                -01-24-2017, 05:32 PM
                              • Nick
                                ESPN: Numbers say Todd Gurley missed holes in 2016
                                by Nick
                                Numbers say Todd Gurley missed holes in 2016
                                9:15 AM ET
                                Alden Gonzalez
                                ESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- The fault of Todd Gurley's disappointing 2016 season for the Los Angeles Rams usually falls on the circumstances that surrounded him, specifically a shoddy offensive line and a non-threatening passing attack that caused defenses to stack the box and suffocate Gurley every time he touched the football.

But Gurley himself didn't take advantage of opportunities.

ESPN NFL Insider K.C. Joyner tracks the situations when running backs receive good blocking under a stat called good blocking yards per attempt. Good blocking, in this instance, roughly refers to the times when offenses do not allow defenses to disrupt a rush attempt. In 2015, while on his way to being named Offensive Rookie of the Year, Gurley averaged 10.9 good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) on 73 carries, the highest rate in the NFL. In 2016, Gurley averaged 6.8 GBYPA on 101 carries, 38th among the 43 running backs with triple-digit good blocking attempts.

It validates what Jamon Brown alluded to at the end of the season, when he talked about how Gurley and the offensive line "have to get back on the same page." And what running backs coach Skip Peete talked about six weeks later, when he said that sometimes Gurley went away from the playcall.

"The past is the past," Gurley said when asked last week about the holes that he missed. "We all put in a great effort and tried to do what we tried to do, but things just didn't work out for us on game day. We came up short a lot of times. Too many times."

Veteran offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, currently the starting left guard, saw improvement in the communication with Gurley during the offseason program.

"It's more just kind of figuring out the speed out of the backfield that he needs," Saffold said. "Once you get that down, then you kind of see the mesh of what we're trying to get done. He knows what we're trying to do on the offensive line as far as front side and back side. So, he knows where the play is going. Inside, with our wide zones and our inside zones, I think he's attacking where we want the ball to go a lot better. And I think he’s letting things develop, too. Letting things develop on the inside, but on the outside he’s really pushing that edge, and it’s opening up some things for him."

Gurley, the 10th overall pick out of Georgia in 2015, went from rushing for 1,097 yards through 12 starts in 2015 to rushing for 885 yards through 16 starts in 2016. Those 885 yards were the fewest ever for a running back with at least 275 carries in a single season. It vaulted Gurley out of the discussion for the elite running backs in the game, mere months after he was thought to be in position to lead it.

Rams quarterback Jared Goff still considers Gurley "one...
                                -06-21-2017, 09:40 AM
                              • Nick
                                Rams part ways with RB coach Skip Peete
                                by Nick
                                Reported on Twitter
                                -01-06-2020, 02:50 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Todd Gurley could be Los Angeles’ next big star 
                                by MauiRam
                                By Rich Hammond

OXNARD >> If, as the saying goes, stars are made, not born, what about those who are relocated?

Todd Gurley is poised to be the next big thing in Southern California sports. The Rams running back still might go unrecognized walking down local streets, particularly when his trademark shoulder-length dreadlocks are pulled back, but given his recent face time on national TV, that seems certain to change.

“Carl’s Jr.,” teammate Benny Cunningham said with a wry grin after a recent practice. “That’s his new nickname. You should call him that. He will like that.”

Gurley has received copious good-natured ribbing for his role as as a burger-pitcher. In the commercial, Gurley — who speaks only a few words — is greeted by an agent and selfie-taking admirers as he coolly strolls through an office while wearing a hat with a generic “L.A.’’ logo.

“Welcome to California, Todd Gurley,” shouts the agent, played by actor/comedian Jay Mohr.

And welcome, perhaps, to a void that needs to be filled, that of major Southern California sports icon.

Kobe Bryant has retired after an iconic 20-year career with the Lakers. Clayton Kershaw arguably is the best pitcher in baseball, but many viewers can’t even watch Dodger games. The Angels’ Mike Trout is highly marketable but seems reticent to display charisma in a public way. The top players for the Kings and Ducks are more likely to pitch products in Canada.

Chris Paul is a contender, but at best he’s a very good player on a good Clippers team, and that franchise still is attempting to dribble out of the Lakers’ shadow.

The throne has been vacated, and Gurley can fill it. He’s telegenic, intelligent, community-minded and is coming off a 2015 rookie season in which he rushed for the third-most yards in the NFL (1,106).

It also doesn’t hurt that Gurley is represented by Roc Nation Sports, the agency founded by music star Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter.

“The region is looking for someone to embrace,” said David Carter, Executive Director of USC’s Sports Business Institute, “and not only because football is back but because Kobe Bryant’s presence will be diminished. And as long as the Dodgers struggle to get their bearings on TV, their stars will not have as constant a light shone on them. All of this makes his timing ideal.”

There’s only one question: Is this market ready to accept Gurley as a hometown hero? As of now, three months before the start of the NFL season, Gurley remains an outsider, and something of a quiet one.

Bryant arrived as a teenager and grew up here. Shaquille O’Neal and Manny Ramirez were imported, but announced their arrivals with boisterous enthusiasm. Gurley? He’s been placed gently on Southern California’s porch like a FedEx package from St. Louis. The locals are just beginning to unwrap him.

It’s a...
                                -06-12-2016, 01:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X