Will the NFL Season start on time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the NFL Season start on time?

I dont know how to post a poll. thoughts?

Its really two separate questions. First questions, will the games be played. Second question, will fans be in the stands to see them.

On the second question, i think the answer is no. I highly doubt crowds of 80k will be allowed by Labor Day.

First question, a lot trickier. Some of course depends on when training camp can start. The most depends on the players union. The owners will certainly be willing to play without fans in the stands and i believe the government will allow it. The question is whether the players will take the incremental risk. I suspect the bulk of them will be willing because they need the money. The really highly paid guys probably wont want to play.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Much to digest here. And as much as I'd like to share some VERY strong words about our country's response to this crisis, I'll honor the terms of the forum and refrain from doing so.

The short answer is I think the games will be played, but with many revisions and alternate venue plans. And it's very possible the season could be delayed and not start until October or November. You've already heard the mayor of LA all but say major events aren't happening. He won't be the only one.

The answer to the second question is "no". And if I'm being brutally honest, until we get a vaccine for this thing, you are not going to see large crowds at sporting events. A recent Seton Hall poll said 72% of respondents would not attend games under the current conditions. This is depressing, to say the least yet very understandable.

I think at bare minimum, we have to have effective treatments mass marketed before a return to "normal". And it's anyone's guess as to when that might be.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
      The answer to the second question is "no". And if I'm being brutally honest, until we get a vaccine for this thing, you are not going to see large crowds at sporting events. I think at bare minimum, we have to have effective treatments mass marketed before a return to "normal". And it's anyone's guess as to when that might be.

That's it in a nutshell. Although I've never been polled on this issue, I would absolutely be among the 72% ..

Comment

I tend to think there will be games, but not a full 16 game schedule. The recent events of Brian Allen and Von Miller give me a reason to think the players might not be so quick to want to play games when they have to be in a locker room with 50+ other players around them. There are other moving parts to this equation such as the TV networks who've paid a ton of money for the televising rights, that is money flowing into the owners' pockets and they aren't so quick to see that evaporate. Ironically, this could stop the absurd salaries being paid to QB's.

As for fans in the stands, highly unlikely. As was said, until a vaccine exists there are few people who would endanger themselves. Although as an ex-NY'er I could see some crazy Jet fans who might just show up for the thrill of acting like a lunatic. I suspect NJ could validate that.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
          Much to digest here. And as much as I'd like to share some VERY strong words about our country's response to this crisis, I'll honor the terms of the forum and refrain from doing so.

The short answer is I think the games will be played, but with many revisions and alternate venue plans. And it's very possible the season could be delayed and not start until October or November. You've already heard the mayor of LA all but say major events aren't happening. He won't be the only one.

The answer to the second question is "no". And if I'm being brutally honest, until we get a vaccine for this thing, you are not going to see large crowds at sporting events. A recent Seton Hall poll said 72% of respondents would not attend games under the current conditions. This is depressing, to say the least yet very understandable.

I think at bare minimum, we have to have effective treatments mass marketed before a return to "normal". And it's anyone's guess as to when that might be.

But all of this is contingent on the fact that the entire world has been lied to constantly about the actual fatality rate of COVID. Once the data from antibody testing validates that the true fatality rate is <0.1%, nobody will care anymore and things will go back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

But all of this is contingent on the fact that the entire world has been lied to constantly about the actual fatality rate of COVID. Once the data from antibody testing validates that the true fatality rate is <0.1%, nobody will care anymore and things will go back to normal.
            Totally disagree with your statement of "everything going back to normal". We've known pretty early on that the fatality rate is low. But that doesn't hide the seemingly random way it affects people. NJ has been hit harder than any state but New York. I personally know of 4 people who have died from this pandemic. Several hundred thousand cases and tens of thousands of deaths in the U.S. alone are not a figment of anyone's imagination nor part of some great conspiracy. Tell the people working round the clock in hospitals that this is all a hoax and only .01 % of people die from it.

It's very possible that some areas of the country can slowly ease restrictions. But major cities?? No way. Not yet. Two NFL players already have this, and fortunately neither is seriously ill. More are sure to follow. This is sure to give great pause to straight-thinking people before they cram into bars, malls and stadiums. And for that reason, I do not see packed stadiums in September.
            Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -04-19-2020, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Well we can't stay in our homes forever. I think they will open things up slowly and go from there. A lot depends on the virus and how it continues to affect people's health.

There has never been a vaccine developed for any type of coronavirus. So, if we are going to wait on a SAFE and effective vaccine, then that could be years down the road, if ever.

If people continue to rely on the idiocy of social media, for risk assessment and educating themselves on prevention measures, then it could be decades before we see social gatherings of any size.

Comment

With the current hysteria, I don't see how the season starts on time, let alone starting at all. The Coronavirus is bad, very bad, with 765,000 cases and 40,000 deaths in the US to date, but the yearly influenza season is bad too. The CDC reported during the 2018-19 Flu season, there were 35 million (million with an M) cases and 34,000 deaths in the US. The 2017-18 season was even worse, with 45 million cases and 61,000 deaths. It's a wonder we're not in a continual state of hysteria over yearly pandemics.

I hope and pray things die down and we're able to have some kind of normal NFL season, but I have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                  With the current hysteria, I don't see how the season starts on time, let alone starting at all. The Coronavirus is bad, very bad, with 765,000 cases and 40,000 deaths in the US to date, but the yearly influenza season is bad too. The CDC reported during the 2018-19 Flu season, there were 35 million (million with an M) cases and 34,000 deaths in the US. The 2017-18 season was even worse, with 45 million cases and 61,000 deaths. It's a wonder we're not in a continual state of hysteria over yearly pandemics.

I hope and pray things die down and we're able to have some kind of normal NFL season, but I have my doubts.

Yeah....I do not foresee anything happening this year. This virus is super contagious and it is an election year. Nuff said.

Comment

I'm realizing some of the perspective shifts based on where you are. Here in my area of CA, we've had less than a 100 cases in our whole county... and only 1 or 2 deaths. So perhaps I've been a bit optimistic when thinking of the upcoming season. They're actually laying off nurses in our area, because the hospitals are ghost towns (no covid emergency coupled with nobody going in for elective stuff due to the stay at home order). So for me, while I certainly doubted fans in the stadiums... I didn't imagine they'd let the whole season slip away.

But I guess if you're on the east coast metropolis areas, you're going to have a far different perspective than someone like me in rural CA. So I'm shrugging my shoulders now...

Germany is doing a slow return starting this week, and I suspect California will be watching them closely for how that works out. If it does, we'll be following suit. But if it's crazy on the east coast like you guys are saying, then yeah, all bets are off

Comment

Four months is a long time in the human world, I believe they will open the stadium and the fans will show. I know I will be there if they open it.
                      "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post
                        Four months is a long time in the human world, I believe they will open the stadium and the fans will show. I know I will be there if they open it.
                        I don't know Joe, the logistics of opening a brand new stadium is massive, and would take several months in the best of times with no health/mitigation limitations. The Covid crisis could be declared over tomorrrow, but the public hysteria would linger for some time. Then there are decision makers like LA Mayor Garcetti who seem to have already made up their minds to ban large events in 2020. If the season starts on time, I'll be very surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post
                          hope springs eternal Joe! But the whole thing has become a political conundrum.....45% of "reported" cases are from two states...….

Comment

Originally posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

I don't know Joe, the logistics of opening a brand new stadium is massive, and would take several months in the best of times with no health/mitigation limitations. The Covid crisis could be declared over tomorrow, but the public hysteria would linger for some time. Then there are decision makers like LA Mayor Garcetti who seem to have already made up their minds to ban large events in 2020. If the season starts on time, I'll be very surprised.

Most likely the case, I reluctantly agree.

Indeed, logistics here are humongous -- on top of the coronavirus crash.

Comment

The NFL really wants it to happen. The government will open the economy, zero doubt about that but I have serious doubts they want to open concert halls, stadiums and fairgrounds. That's a massive difference to opening up restaurants. A ton of artists have cancelled concerts into August, Germany cancelled the Munich Octoberfest already. I've heard most Universities are planning on being remote next fall.

Let's face it, August will be far less dangerous than October or November so a delay doesn't solve the issue.

I can't predict. I know the NFL really wants it but I don't see how it is possible. The GM committee wanted to postpone the draft and the NFL went ahead with it anyway but games? Bundesliga is starting back up in May supposedly, we'll see.

Comment