No announcement yet.

How CA's Governor will Ruin the Season for the Rams, Chargers, Niners & the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How CA's Governor will Ruin the Season for the Rams, Chargers, Niners & the NFL

Read the article for full details, but he recently said, “It’s difficult to imagine a stadium that’s filled until we have immunity and until we have a vaccine,” Newsom said. “There are conditions that persist in this state and this nation that make re-opening very, very challenging.”

Currently in CA we are in only in Stage 1 of his 4 Stage plan, where Stage 4 is a full re-opening. For a county to qualify just to get to Stage 2 ALL of these requirements must be met:
    • No more than one new COVID-19 case per 10,000 residents in the past 14 days (highly unlikely to happen anytime soon in Los Angeles County)
    • No COVID-19 deaths in the past 14 days. (this is the one that there is zero chance of being fulfilled anytime soon in Los Angeles County)
    • Essential workers must have access to PPE
    • A minimum of 1.5 tests per 100,000 residents being conducted daily
    • At least 15 contact tracers per 100,000 residents
    • Ability to temporarily house 15% of the county's homeless population
    • Hospitals are equipped to handle a 35% surge at minimum
    • Nursing facilities have a two-week supply of PPE
    • Continue to monitor metrics to potentially re-enact restrictions
    I can't imagine what he'll require for Stage 3 and Stage 4. I know he has said for Stage 4 to happen there will have to be a vaccine available to all, and who knows when that will happen.

I will be VERY surprised if there is any NFL football in California this year, and probably not even the NFL. Only way I can see the Rams, Chargers, and Niners playing is if they come to an agreement with an out of state stadium.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -05-11-2020, 02:39 PM.

RFTID

Writing on the wall. I have felt this was the case for quite some time. Curve flattened but goal post moving now

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

...I will be VERY surprised if there is any NFL football in California this year, and probably not even the NFL. Only way I can see the Rams, Chargers, and Whiners playing is if they come to an agreement with an out of state stadium.

Agreed. One word: Unlikely

Need to come up with a VERY unprecedented plan.
      Last edited by RealRam; -05-12-2020, 02:33 PM. Reason: Tyop

Comment

It's the elephant in the room because we're all very hopeful and so over the distancing and home confinement. But the truth is, we are far from out of the woods, and the after effects of this will linger for a long time. And we haven't even really discussed the potential for a 2nd wave of this- something many experts feel is a distinct possibility.

Until people become comfortable going out where large groups are congregated, sports will not resemble what they've traditionally been, pure and simple. To get peace of mind, easy access to testing and effective treatments- still works in progress- will be needed until there is a vaccine available.

Comment

If my figures are correct LA deaths in 2018-2019 from the Flu totaled 164. To date Covid-19 deaths are 1,569 in only 2 mths. Pls let that sink in for those thinking the Rams should be in training camp. No one knows where we will be in Sept. but it ain’t good.

Comment

Originally posted by 99rams View Post
            If my figures are correct LA deaths in 2018-2019 from the Flu totaled 164. To date Covid-19 deaths are 1,569 in only 2 mths. Pls let that sink in for those thinking the Rams should be in training camp. No one knows where we will be in Sept. but it ain’t good.
            High population density cities that rely on mass public transportation, like New York and Los Angeles are a long way from being back to normal.

MLB claims there season will start up in July. There is literally no way that is happening in CA or NY. The governors have said as much. MLB has backup plans for playing outside of these areas to get around government restrictions, and the only way I can see the NFL or any other sport having a season is to do the same.

If & when things do open up late in the year, it will have to be without fans. In all likelihood it will sadly be 2021 before we watch any major league or collegiate sport in person in CA or NY or places like them.

Comment

I just saw on the CBS news (I live in NJ) that The CA Governor extended the stay at home order in LA County for the next three months. If this is accurate, you can forget any chance of the Rams playing home games at SoFi in September- and that of course will impact the entire NFL.

Comment

I wonder if the NFL would consider doing something like NASCAR is doing. Have all the teams playing in a neutral location that causes less travel, and maybe having teams use the same stadiums several days a week. Have two or three games a day in each stadium, a couple or few stadiums over a couple days should take care of it.

gap

Comment

What a mess.

Comment

NJRam, for the record that was a “comment” made by the LA Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer and the Mayor immediately walked it back. The Gov was not involved. Not to say this could not happen but it was not the Governor or Mayor that uttered this and the press ran with it.

Comment

NJRam, for the record that was a “comment” made by the LA Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer and the Mayor immediately walked it back. The Gov was not involved. Not to say this could not happen but it was not the Governor or Mayor that uttered this and the press ran with it.
                      Thank you for the clarification. I'm sure even if this stance was walked back a bit, as the mayor suggests, the county will still not be close enough in August to the type of "normalcy" required to host NFL football in September.

Comment

Tesla bucked the CA state orders and opened for the 2nd day. I’m not posting this as political but it’s evident big companies like Tesla could get through for a couple months where true mom & pop biz goes down the drain in a few weeks, yet Tesla gets the break.

CA will have to reopen and more people will die. It’s pretty simple. Not enough people maintain distancing or safety and there is no way drunk, screaming fans filling stadiums will happen this year.

Comment

Both the mayor of LA and the Governor made statements last month that would suggest no sporting events in 2020 with large crowds. Where we'll be in a few months remains to be seen, but things look iffy:

Gov. Gavin Newsom said this week he also does not expect mass gatherings to return this summer, but he has not been more specific about a date. He released a plan to modify the state's coronavirus restrictions, saying that there would be no large-scale events until there is herd immunity and/or a vaccine. This could be months away or longer.

"Large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers altogether across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations," Newsom said.
                          Angelenos should not expect to see large gatherings, such as sporting events and concerts with fans in attendance, returning to Los Angeles until next year, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Wednesday.

"Nothing I've heard would indicate that we'll be having thousands of people gathering anytime soon and probably not for the rest of this year," Garcetti told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
                          Garcetti did add this caveat:

"But I can hope we can perhaps watch sporting events without audiences on TV ... listen to concerts as we've been doing.''

Comment

The NFL has a contingency plan for California teams to play out of state for their "home" games if they can't play here.
                            "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

We are looking at the fan attendance in stadiums, which is certainly a big part of the equation, but players are also in the mix. I have learned that the NFLPA will have discussions with the league concerning player safety as it relates to testing. The NFLPA has said they will not accept tests that take away from those which may be available for the general public. However that will be in several months and there are likely to be many more tests available, plus test which provide an instant read-out.

According to the new CBA which was recently agreed upon, whether there is a season or not, players will receive guaranteed portions of their pay. You can be sure Stan Kroenke is not going to pay Jared Goff $33.5m or whatever portion of that is guaranteed with no revenue stream from TV. In-stadium revenue may be unattainable. The Rams may be playing their early games elsewhere. Hard to picture.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bar-bq
                                Don't Believe The Truth
                                by Bar-bq
                                Clannies, take it in.

Sit down, grab a blade of grass, hopefully some air, and maybe some orange quarters that Avenger's mom (I really feel like I'm selling out writing it with the 'o' in the middle ;)) prepared for halftime. For the season is finally upon us: In less than one week, we'll have a new protoge', hopefully two or three, to gush over, admire or despise. Tis the season for an excitement that only the NFL draft can bestow, to paraphrase, it's Christmas in April.

Now is about the time where message boards are ablaze with speculation, smokescreens are rife and sports-bloggers are more than earning their keep. Typically, now is about the time of year when it's easy to get a little swept up in the pre-draft boondoggle. You're going to see posters come out of the woodwork citing sources you've never read, claiming to be in the know about things we've been debating for months. The beauty of the internet is that everyone is effectually an amateur expert. Last year, we had posters who were 70% sure Glenn Dorsey was the pick, others were lobbying for Chris Long and some were holding onto hope that the pick could be traded.

I'd like to issue a caution: take everything you read from now until the time that Goodell announces our pick with a grain of salt. Mock drafts will be abundant, published both by regular punters and those who make a living out of them. I'd encourage you to have faith in your own opinion, because for the next six days, those bloggers can be no more correct than you can. With that being said, there is a fine line between having the temerity to predict Mark Sanchez as our pick and having the naivety to vehemently disagree with anyone who advocates otherwise.

For the next week, you'll see a lot of posters get excited, posting more and more frequently, often with less and less substance. In that respect you can probably treat the next week as some sort of Groundhog Day, in that you will see the same posts repeated with different titles and by different users on a very frequent basis. Over the last few weeks, I've found myself posting less because of this. We have, as a collective, taken the draft from almost every conceivable angle we can without the assistance of further sensationalised speculation. In this day and age, it is becoming harder and harder to be original.

That's not to say we can't do it. That's not to say that we don't have a plethora of innovative posters chomping at the bit to say their piece. It just means that for the next week, innovation will likely succumb to sensationalism, originality will be replaced with repetition and the truth will become harder and harder to believe. But the aim of this post is not apathy, and I don't think reform will suffice. I guess I'm hoping that this will serve as a reminder that not everything that one thinks, nor every expert opinion one reads is worthy of objectifying on-screen, especially if it's the...
                                -04-20-2009, 01:42 AM
                              • Fat Pang
                                National day dream
                                by Fat Pang
                                It's National Day here in Hong Kong. Not my nation's day you understand, but the National day of China. It's a celebration of the creation of the communist state and it's obligatory for anyone connected with the government here (and I am as a civil servant) to take the whole thing suitably seriously. And I was I promise, I really was, until it became apparent that they were hoisting the flag upside down...........

I was stood next to the principal of my school at the time so my countenance didn't waver, but I got to thinking that it was an interesting image to ponder, given China's stance on human rights, environmental policy and virtually everything else. Something to do with seeing the world upside down.

Anyway, whilst the principal talked about Chinese contributions to world civilisation of which there are many (Compass, paper, gunpowder and golf to name but four. I'm always sceptical of the golf thing but whatever), my attention started to wander as it often does when listening to speeches in Cantonese.

I started to think about the Rams and what may happen this weekend and perhaps the rest of the season.

You see, my cup is actually half full right now. I've read some of the reaction that the opening three games have managed to generate and I think it's been fairly strange. I think one of the disquieting things for many of our fellow citizens of Ram nation is the whole concept of change. No-one likes change, from moving house to funerals, no-one feels comfortable with changes to their physical, mental or spiritual landscape. Whole industries have sprouted to deal with change and it's implications. Management consultants, faith healers, Fung Shui masters, numerologists, priests, Tarot card readers and politicians are all pretty good examples of people who are required to deal with the fall out that comes with upheaval.

As far as football is concerned, who can we consult?

Well there's always Bernie Miklasz I suppose but what I've found is that his answers and those of many of his peers merely reflect some of the short term demands of the fans. Fans themselves go even further by stating that Bulger should be traded, Fisher should be benched and Holt and Bruce should toughen up.

That way madness lies. The answer to the pain of change isn't further change. There aren't any fix-alls, the snake doctor has been run out of town and please, please can we just take a little notice of the fact that we're merely three games into the season and the team that we love to love has yet to find it's true identity.

There have been some encouraging signs, the most obvious of which is that we've won more games than we've lost. As well as that however can we consider that our defence is no longer a league wide joke, our offence is starting to wake up, our special teams play has been solid, our running game looks okay, we've got a great young...
                                -09-29-2006, 08:25 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Head Coach Scott Linehan Tuesday, January 02, 2007
                                by RamWraith
                                Head Coach Scott Linehan

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

(Opening statement)

“We came out, like we said after the game, really healthy, especially the last two games; which, if there’s a positive about going into this offseason, not getting in and all that was the disappointing part, but we came out really healthy. Don’t have a lot of issues as far as our teams health concerns that you’ll have to address. I think a number of things we have are guys that have to get things cleaned up. I know Alex Barron has cartilage in his knee that will probably be looked at. Torry (Holt) has the same kind of thing. Dexter Coakley’s getting a small plate taken out of his ankle this afternoon. Paul Smith’s getting evaluated on that neck that he had. Those are the kinds of things that are going to be addressed and attended to here right away. I think the important thing is that we’re able to address these things now so it’s not a lengthy offseason thing that keeps them out of the offseason program, things like that.”

(On his thoughts on his first season as head coach)

“One time around the track. Learned a lot. Got a lot more to learn, but I think progress has been made, and we’re making the adjustments necessary to get to the next step; which we weren’t able to get to, but we made a concerted effort to get there. I think it makes it easy to set our goals for next season, and we can make the same amount of improvement that we made in one year from this season to the next, and it gives us a legitimate chance to achieve the goals we actually set for ourselves last year.”

(On the low point of the season being the Carolina game)

“I did joke about it, but it really wasn’t very funny. It was a low point. I make reference to this a lot. My wife asked me the same thing. She mentioned it was the two Seattle games for her, but I told her it was Carolina for me just because I felt like we were stumbling, and we didn’t really look like we had the direction we had going into that game. I thought we competed very hard all year long, but I felt in one game, in my opinion, and I know there was a little stretch there where we were down a little bit, but that was the game where I didn’t feel like we showed the competitive spirit necessary to win football games in the NFL. We had to make some major adjustments. It always starts with the head coach, and then I think the other coaches and players need to do the same thing. Hopefully we were able to overcome a time like that, and really move on and learn from it.”

(On the high point of the season)

“I think the last game. The way we finished. We started off high with a 4-1 record, but we easily could have lost a game or two there. We had some breaks to be honest with you. We played our best football at the end. I don’t think we played our best football...
                                -01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
                              • Fat Pang
                                Don't look back and anger...........
                                by Fat Pang
                                Forgive me while I start this little note with a mangling of the title of an Oasis song, it did seem to be appropriate however in light of some of the reaction that we've seen afer our recent disappointment. I have to say that I'm not particularly pleased right now and was even less pleased this morning. However, the distractions of a working day have taken their toll on me and the many others who share these forums and so I feel it's safe to maybe put an alternative spin on some of these things.

I'm not traditionally a patient man, not known for it anyway. I was prone to volcanic fits of rage on the football field on occasion, whether things were going my way or not. I'd earned the sobriquet of 'Mr Angry' by my second (Sophomore?) year of college and collected receptions despite my personality rather than because of it.

Age and common sense mellows you however, and I find myself greeting triumph and disaster much the same these days. I have been prone to the odd outburst on this forum and many others at times, and so I have a lot of sympathy for those whose mood has darkened somewhat of late.

What puzzles me in the wake of the first two games is the disparity of reaction as far as the D is concerned and the extraordinary lack of patience shown with the O. This has manifested itself as our current D (After ONE game) being hailed on these pages as one of the best Ram D's of all time (We had pretty good ones in the 70's.......and the 'Eagle' D of the late Fritz Shurmur in the late 80's routinely gave Montana a headache) and a lock for a top 5 position this season. As far as the O is concerned, we have seen our posse of top flight receivers being questioned, our Pro-Bowl MVP QB being questioned (Please don't return to the debate about his MVP award, the fact is he got there and was awarded it) and the playcalling of a man who is/was one of the most respected OC's in football.

All this on the strength of TWO games.

Not enough people, just not enough.

There are also people, whose opinion I respect, drawing comparisons between days past and days present.

Don't.

It'll only lead to disappointment in the long run. We were present when our team possessed the greatest offensive steamroller in football history. Others can debate it, but for me that's the position it has assumed. We were lucky, damn lucky, but the cost of maintaining that performance ultimately undermined our team, our past HC and our future as a dynasty.

It's also undermining the attempts of our latest HC to form his own identity. Or at least it will if we let it. Give him a break, it's the least he and the team deserve.

The pertinent fact for me is that this team has shown enough PROMISE in the first two games to signal that enough of the fundamentals are being observed football-wise for this team to be inherently stronger than it was last...
                                -09-18-2006, 03:10 AM
                              • RamDez
                                Celtic ---- Beattie: we're not underdogs
                                by RamDez
                                Beattie: we're not underdogs
                                Stephen Sullivan

Craig Beattie has dismissed suggestions that it’s as underdogs that Celtic will travel to Ibrox for the first Old Firm derby of the season.

Neither of Glasgow’s big two has started the season particularly impressively and yet, despite the fact that they'll kick off one point better off than Rangers, Gordon Strachan’s Bhoys have been widely predicted to toil at the home of their old rivals.

Beattie, however, believes that the outcome will be as difficult to predict as ever, and insists that - even with home advantage in their favour – Alex McLeish's team would be well advised to beware a new-look Celtic side fully prepared for what awaits them.

“I wouldn’t say we were the underdogs at all,” he insisted. “Going to Ibrox is always tricky and it would have been nice if the first game was out there [at Celtic Park]. But we’ve gone to Ibrox and won before and we’ll go there looking to do the same again.

“I think [the new signings] know with the papers and stuff what the game’s all about. Everyone worldwide knows something about the Old Firm because it’s one of the biggest derbies in world football, so I’m sure the boys will all be well clued up on what to expect.”

Strachan - whose own previous Old Firm experience is restricted to watching from the stands - has certainly been doing his best to give the new Bhoys a flavour of what to expect, though he’ll doubtless know only too well that debutants on both sides will take time to settle into the always-frenetic action.

The Hoops boss will also be acutely aware that no fixture places a manager so firmly under the microscope as this one, though Beattie insists that, regardless of how Celtic fare tomorrow, Strachan has already earned his seal of approval.

“He’s changed a lot of things,” said the striker. “Training’s very different now, it’s very enjoyable and we’re always on the go.

“It’s all been good and I’ve picked up a lot of things from him in terms of movement, where to run and when to run. He’s definitely been a help.”

Of course, while all eyes will be on Ibrox tomorrow as Strachan and McLeish – former team-mates and long-standing friends – lock horns for the first time, those in the Hoops boss’s home town of Edinburgh will be quick to point out that neither Celtic nor Rangers go into the game as league leaders.

Currently, Hearts lay claim to that honour and, while the likes of Alan Thompson and Jimmy Calderwood have this week played down George Burley’s side’s prospects of challenging for the title, Beattie considers that nothing can be ruled out.

“They’re a quality team,” he said of the Jambos. “They’re going to be tough to beat this year, but they were tough last season as well. We know what we need to do and, if we play to our capabilities, we’ll beat anybody.

“I
                                -08-19-2005, 02:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X