The New Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Stuff

Not posted in a while but thought I would share a recent experience.

Like many of you I was excited by the new logo launch and the prospect of new uniforms. Upon the unveiling of the log and colour palette, I was impressed by the colours, but depressed by the logo's. I am a member of a couple FB groups and the reaction was almost universally negative. Personally, the new main logo is underwhelming, its like a senior high school answer to a local sports project. The Ram was okay I thought until it was pointed out that there is a phallus there and frankly, what is once seen cannot be unseen. Generally however I was prepared for it to grow on me, not like a fungus but like a new armchair; not quite the same but in time it could work out.

Except it hasn't and I don't think it will any time soon.

Like many of you I have been working from home. In my case, I have been doing so for four months but I live in Hong Kong. In that time I have put on 10 pounds and some stuff is a little too restrictive these days. Yes I'll work it off in a month or so but I need new workout gear anyway and as we are moving house at the end of the week to a beachfront place with lots of potential for waistline-trimming, I thought I would buy some gear from the club shop.

Except I couldn't.

I really tried to.

But I couldn't.

There was nothing there to persuade me to take the financial plunge. I have a fair amount of Rams gear and was more than willing to get more. My absurdly tall four year-old runs around in Rams gear and I have been stopped by American expats in HK who wonder why I'm wearing Rams gear in the supermarket. I have a STL Rams Faulk shirt that is kept in pride of place with my college football shirts.

But I couldn't buy anything this time.

I'm not one of those 'hate everything different' kind of guys but I honestly thought this was a teed up home run; they couldn't screw this up. I suspect they might have. I don't mind the colours, I don't mind the 'bone' but I can't unsee the 'bone' on the new Ram.

I think we may have a problem, a problem I honestly didn't think was that big an issue...until it came to spending some money.

I hear you, Fat Pang. For me, the jerseys are a mixed bag. There are some positive elements but they are not an improvement over our classic royal and yellow. I'm grateful for them essentially keeping the colors and not totally altering the helmets. But it is change for the sake of change and the lure of a buck through "rebranding".

The logos are awful- there's no other way to say it. The LA too closely resembles something Chargers-related in the eyes of many and to others, it is just a flat out lousy look. And the Ram head is bad, too. When I see all the other Ram head logos designed by fans that would have been a HUGE improvement over the current logo, I'm ticked off.

I've said it before: The best way to send a message is to not buy the product. Buy as much Rams stuff as you want with the traditional helmet featured but buy nothing that validates this train-wreck-of-a-design supplied by genius Demoff and his cronies. Maybe if they've seen they've sold about two dozen total items with the new logo, they'll re-think things.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
      I hear you, Fat Pang. For me, the jerseys are a mixed bag. There are some positive elements but they are not an improvement over our classic royal and yellow. I'm grateful for them essentially keeping the colors and not totally altering the helmets. But it is change for the sake of change and the lure of a buck through "rebranding".

The logos are awful- there's no other way to say it. The LA too closely resembles something Chargers-related in the eyes of many and to others, it is just a flat out lousy look. And the Ram head is bad, too. When I see all the other Ram head logos designed by fans that would have been a HUGE improvement over the current logo, I'm ticked off.

I've said it before: The best way to send a message is to not buy the product. Buy as much Rams stuff as you want with the traditional helmet featured but buy nothing that validates this train-wreck-of-a-design supplied by genius Demoff and his cronies. Maybe if they've seen they've sold about two dozen total items with the new logo, they'll re-think things.
      I hope so NJ, I really do.

Colours for me are fine but that logo leaves me cold. I honestly didn't think it was that big an issue until I tried to spend some money.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
        ...The logos are awful- there's no other way to say it. The LA too closely resembles something Chargers-related in the eyes of many and to others, it is just a flat out lousy look. And the Ram head is bad, too. When I see all the other Ram head logos designed by fans that would have been a HUGE improvement over the current logo, I'm ticked off.

Agreed, plain corny quality. Hopefully we won't be too stubborn to rectify and modify.

Comment

Good to see you posting Pang. I agree with you're sentiments. None of the new stuff works for me, and I have no intention of buying any of it. I'm perfectly happy with throwback merchandise.

Anyone looking for the Rams to re-think logos or designs will have to wait a while due to the NFL's five year rule on uniform changes, at least that's what I've read.

Comment

I can't say I am in love with the new logos, but I remember it took me awhile like the last ones. I do like the new uniforms though. I bought a jersey and I was trying to get the "Chargers looking" t-shirt, but they were already sold out. When the new logos came out I made sure I posted them around my home and office, just to get accustomed to them. For the most part I am, except for the aforementioned Chargers one. I don't automatically spot it when it used on the NFL channel for example. But i digress. They wont change them and life goes on. I am super excited to be moving to the new stadium and a whole new experience in Rams football and there are many larger things in lfe to worry about...like whats for lunch?!
            "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
              Kevin Demoff on the Rams’ new branding and overcoming ‘immense frustrations’
              by Nick
              Kevin Demoff on the Rams’ new branding and overcoming ‘immense frustrations’
              By Rich Hammond Mar 23, 2020 75

The Rams’ road to rebranding took many turns.

The team initially intended to introduce the new look in 2019, but it also wanted the launch to coincide with the opening of the new stadium in Inglewood. Ultimately, both got pushed to 2020.

A city-wide launch of the new colors and logos planned for this past weekend got undercut and then scuttled, first by the social-media “leak” of a hat that got overwhelmingly panned, then by the COVID-19 pandemic, which led the Rams to cancel their public events and instead pivot to a charity telethon that will be held on Tuesday.

The much-anticipated reveal took place Monday. The Rams will return to being a blue-and-yellow team, with hues that are similar to the popular color scheme of the 1980s but more vibrant. The Rams also revealed two logos, one with a slanted “LA” intermeshed with a horn, and a secondary logo that features a stylized interpretation of a ram’s skull.

The primary logo will be controversial, which Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff understands. Change always is, and the Rams weren’t helped by the leaked image of a hat — designed by New Era to be used at the NFL Draft — that distorted the color and symmetry of the logo, which incorporates white and yellow as a nod to the evolution of the Rams’ colors since the 1940s.

“One of the lines that really stuck out through this entire process,” said Cory Befort, the Rams’ director of creative services, “was this idea of really respecting the past while representing the future.”

The two-year design process ended late last fall, and the Rams waited until Monday to reveal the new colors and logos. The unveiling of the jerseys will take place at an undetermined time before the start of next season.

Demoff answered some questions from The Athletic about the rebranding choices, the backlash and what fans might expect from the uniforms.

(Answers have been condensed for length purposes.)

How did this go, in terms of deciding how to make decisions about the rebrand?

We started the process, essentially, late in 2017, to begin to work with Nike, the NFL and Anomaly, who was our marketing agency in Los Angeles. Really, we tried to take advantage of time to say, “OK, how do we look at the whole thing holistically, from colors to logos to fonts and ultimately to uniforms?” Think of the process that way. We were a little bit different. A typical process is, usually you start with the NFL and then that goes to Nike. We started with all three parties at the very beginning with a real focus on what we wanted the brand to convey.

Where we had the further advantage was, we spent 2016 and, really 2017, talking to fans about what made sense to them and what they wanted. The one thing that...
              -03-26-2020, 10:26 AM
              lol must read this
              by Guest
              I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
              think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
              my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
              realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
              going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
              be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
              from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
              watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
              ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
              randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
              feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
              not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
              work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
              fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
              know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
              or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
              suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
              becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
              90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
              laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
              harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
              who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
              take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
              your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
              spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
            • UtterBlitz
              New car advice wanted
              by UtterBlitz
              I need to get a new car, this weekend most likely. My Jeep is a 93 Grand Cherokee and it is pushed my limits lately. It got new exhaust and a new radiator. The new radiator was defective and the transmition fluid mixed with the anti-freeze. Not so good for the transmition. I put another radiator in it, but now I am getting a bad feeling that tells me it probably has a head gasket leak. I hear gurgling. Oh yeah and a couple of weeks ago on a start of a trip down to NC, one of the calipers locked up. New rotors, and new calipers required. Money pit.
              :tut poor jeep

So anyways. It is time for a new vehicle. I never buy new, so I am out of my element here. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I need room for the dogs to be fenced in the back, and I need to be able to haul stuff. It pretty much has to be an SUV, since I don't want to put the dogs in a open truck bed.

Suggestions?????
              -07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
            • AvengerRam_old
              New Album Recommendations
              by AvengerRam_old
              What new albums have you recently purchased (or downloaded, or burned) that you would recommend?

Here are a few I recommend highly:

Garden State Soundtrack
              Loved the movie. Love the soundtrack. Great selections from The Shins, Zero 7, Colin Hay, Frou Frou, Bonnie Somerville and Simon & Garfunkle. Its rare to have an album with so many artists and not one throw away song.

Green Day: American Idiot
              Okay, so its not that new, and hardly obscure, but if you've only heard the singles, you should give the album a listen. Its kind of a punk rock opera.

Sarah McLachlan: Afterglow Live
              Two disc album has a concert DVD and CD. Great selections from new and old materials, plus (on the DVD) a nice cover of the Beatles' "Blackbird."

Sarah Harmer: All of Our Names
              I've mentioned her before, and she has become one of my favorite artists. She's a singer/songwriter with a great voice.

What is everyone else listening to?
              -02-16-2005, 12:46 PM
            • AugustaRamFan
              Looking for Advice - New TV...
              by AugustaRamFan
              Well, I was surprised by the responses for Utter's new Car Advice, so I thought I would also try to draw upon the Clan's Body of Knowledge.

I am in the market for a new TV. A flat screen job - oh... 37-42 inches. With the new season on the horizon I want to be ready .. if you get what a I mean.

So, if you have one and like or dislike, let me know.

The prices down here in GA are around $2,300 and up. Best Buy is selling a Toshiba 42" for 2,300 ($1000 off as they make way for the upgrages).

I have been watching prices come down, and have never been one to buy the newest and hottest tech gadget.

Have also come to understand you either buy plasma or LCD - both are reported to have a 7 - 10 year screen life, which is a little perplexing!

Please advise.

GO Rams!!!
              -07-25-2005, 07:26 AM
            Working...
            X