Uniforms don’t matter if fans take it in the shorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms don’t matter if fans take it in the shorts

I sometimes say I’m not an alarmist but yeah, I am. I ring the bell when the bell needs ringing and even though we’re not there yet, there are enough people divided on every subject under the sun these days to know people will argue with just about anything I write. I get it. With COVID and the more serious issues impacting us the NFL and even sports in general take a back seat. What we know NEVER takes a back seat is what America is truly built on. GREED. I cringe at the thought of a 6 billion $ stadium sitting empty even though I have no dog in that fight. I love sports and I love the RAMS and the NFL and I can’t see any way the FANS see any games this year or even into 2021 without the elephant in the room few seem to mention. PAY-PER-VIEW.

I suppose many would welcome this option at least until they see the price tag as TV viewing has been anemic enough in LA and teams playing to empty stadiums will not recover their revenue via normal TV rights. They won’t even break even. I spent decades watching the Rams remotely using DirecTV and finding ways to dodge the ridiculously high priced annual fees but I still put a few shingles in the DirecTV roof. Lousy reception, terrible customer service and cloud and weather interruptions and I loved every second of it. Still, does anyone see a way we pay the Jared Goffs and Aaron Donalds as well as the huge NFL machinery without charging the public to see the games? Do we really expect to turn on our big screen TVs this Fall to see FREE broadcasts of NFL games in full regalia sans fans, concessions, parking, lodging, restaurants and merchandizing? Will the private Suites at SoFI still be filled with the elite One Percenters enjoying the festivities from glass enclosed fortresses while the slightly dazed and unwashed masses sit in their living rooms spending ZIPPO to enjoy the same televised contests?

The NFL, just as the MLB, NBA and every sport short of the National CornHole Championship (yes, that is real) that saw it’s first ever nationally televised contest, is hurting. Still, I have to remind myself that the NFL is a NON-PROFIT org that pays it’s Commissioner a cool 45 mil per year.

Please don't go into tall buildings and if you do, stay away from the ledges.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

I don’t have anything against PAY-PER-VIEW per se but if you know how the NFL is going to make money with empty stadiums and FREE TV I’d love to hear it. It all depends on the number of subscribers and the cost per game. I only averaged about 3 games per year when I was close enough to attend. If the NFL has another alternative I suppose we’ll know soon enough.

Comment

A PPV mechanism already exists, NFLGamepass. Shouldn't be too hard to make it work.

Comment

Makes sense but I’m not sure what the premium would be for games not televised and PPV being the only option. As it is I’m still unaware of any stance the NFL has taken on paying it’s players in 2020 if there are no games or a shortened season but it seems the intent is to burn that bridge when they cross it.

Comment

DirecTV has an NFL package.

Comment

The NFL is driven by a multi-billion dollar Network TV contract, which pays out a flat fee to the NFL for the right to broadcast games. Each team divides that money evenly. Teams also will receive a gazillion dollars for all the merchandise they sell. Gate receipts make up only a smaller portion of the total pie, if you will. And while the NFL will undoubtedly take a financial hit, nobody is going to starve to death. The NFL has PLENTY of money, and there will be no problem paying players this year regardless of circumstances.

Comment

I would agree that A. nobody (in the NFL) is going to starve, B. The NFL has plenty of money and C. The NFL makes a huge amount of money from TV rights. That was a big deal and ballooned out of sight leading to higher salaries in all TV sports. What I wonder is how much of a hit the NFL is willing to take for the team? They soak the fans at every turn and almost went into a panic a few years ago when stadium attendance opened rather weakly. When will PPV prices go up? I suppose some believe the NFL will go on televising all games for free and eat all the losses from game day merch, ticket sales, PSLs, Suites, liquor & food sales and all things associated without impacting local & national TV. I don’t know about you about I can only think of a couple pieces of RAM or Laker gear I did not buy at a game. As I said from the outset, it’s far from that point but we could be looking at a lifestyle change going into 2022. Then, change is the one constant. I hope we can enjoy the season without relying on reruns or PPV only.

Comment

Originally posted by 99rams View Post
                  I hope we can enjoy the season without relying on reruns or PPV only.
                  If there is a season, NFL games will be televised on network TV, bank on it. Contracts are in effect, monies have been paid, sponsorship deals have been made, and there is no way the league can change the equation.

Comment

This today. And the Rams make up 1/3 of their total revenue ( and that includes TV rights ) HOW? Doesn’t look like Merch sales will be overwhelming:

According to Forbes, which used stadium revenue from the 2018 season as a reference, the Rams would lose $121 million if the NFL plays without fans in 2020. That’s about 30% of the team’s total revenue
                    Last edited by 99rams; 4 days ago.

Comment

New Helmets and Uni's aren't what i thought they would be but at least it's better Than i thought and wow if they can't open the new Diggs it will MASSIVE loss, But I also know these guys are bot stupid either but the'll do make or push the state ass who is the governor of cali to open something or figure out way, the Rams and other large corp. involved in this project wont stand for it too much has been spent and when it all comes down to it it's all about the $$$$$$$$$ and the Rams and other corp. feed them too much money to the state...
                      Last edited by OldRamsfan; 4 days ago.
                      :helmet::ram::helmet: :ram::helmet::ram:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                        Rams to Implement Tracking Devices for Advanced Metrics This Season ..
                        by MauiRam
                        By 3k

The NFL is installing a "real-time location system" for players and officials in 17 stadiums this season, including the Edward Jones Dome. So what does that really mean?

First, let it be known that the original Transformers: The Movie takes place in 2005. It is 2014. Thus, ipso facto, we live in "the future."

I am often reminded of this by certain artifacts of reality around me. Today is one of those days.

The NFL will install a "real-time location system" in 17 stadiums for this season, including the Edward Jones Dome.

Per the official press release:

This innovative technology will track players and officials, providing location based data known as "Next Gen Stats" to fans.

Zebra receivers installed throughout the stadium will communicate with radio-frequency identification (RFID) transmitters placed inside the shoulder pads of each player to capture precise location measurements, in real-time, during the game. Zebra’s technology will collect data such as position, speed, and distance that will be registered and compiled into a database. This data can then be outputted to generate new experiences built around this additional data.

For the first time, this technology enables the NFL to accurately capture real-time player tracking statistics, such as acceleration and total distance run. The real-time nature of these statistics enables end-users to gain immediate insight into the action on the field.

So yes, if you were assuming as much beforehand, this is pretty badass. There is a question of implementation and utility as it is used by three different groups: broadcasters, coaches and fans.

How this could change the NFL on TV

This piece from USA Today provides some cool photos that pretty easily exhibit how this could be used during a game broadcast. As the release notes, the sensors will be installed for every Thursday night game host stadium as well as for Detroit and New Orleans, so this isn't limited to a small number of games in which we could see the technology being used. And much like the computer-generated yellow line for first downs and SkyCam, it will probably take a couple of years to get it right.

Still, the opportunity to mine a huge set of data in real-time is both inviting...and really perilous. Many broadcasters struggle to explain the action to an audience that's made up of both passionate, somewhat-educated football fans and those who know little about the intricacies of the sport. The risk in trying to make any kind of analytical statement relying on this data is one that I'm sure we can all identify. Football is a complicated mess of data points. Adding more doesn't simplify the broadcasters' job, but it does give them another tool in the box. Using it will require skill that only the best have.
                        -07-31-2014, 11:40 AM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        NFL To Limit Bags Brought Into Stadiums
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        NFL to limit bags brought into stadiums

By BARRY WILNER (AP Pro Football Writer) | The Associated Press – 51 minutes ago..

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- Bring yourself to the game. Leave the cooler and backpack at home.

The NFL is tightening stadium security starting this preseason, limiting the size and type of bags fans can bring to the game.

The restrictions are designed to enhance security while speeding up entry into stadiums.

With the exception of medically necessary items, only clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches will be allowed. One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags also will be OK, as will small clear plastic bags approximately the size of someone's hand, with or without a handle or strap.

One of those clear bags and a small clutch bag will be allowed per person.

Binoculars, cameras, and smartphones also will be permitted.

Banned items will include purses larger than a clutch bag; coolers; briefcases; backpacks; ***** packs; cinch bags; seat cushions; luggage; computer bags; and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.

The league is encouraging fans not to bring any bags to games.

''Our fans deserve to be in a safe and secure environment,'' Jeffrey Miller, the NFL's chief security officer, said Thursday. ''Public safety is our top priority. This will make the job of checking items much more efficient and effective. We will be able to deliver a better and quicker experience at the gates and also provide a safer environment. We appreciate our fans' cooperation.''

An NFL committee on stadium security recommended these measures in May and the owners have approved them.

A secondary buffer area well outside the stadium will be established where security personnel will check for prohibited items or bags being carried toward the ballpark. Fans with prohibited bags will be turned away until they dispose of those bags. Stadium personnel are being encouraged to have approved bags on hand to give to fans, or to have a place outside the restricted areas to check items, so that fans can reclaim after games.

Recently, the NFL has done pat downs and bag checks and also used metal detectors to upgrade security. The new policy announced Thursday has worked well at colleges such as Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State, which do not permit any bags in their stadiums. Boston's TD Garden allows only clutch bags.

The NFL ramped up security at the draft in late April, its one major event since the Boston Marathon bombings. In a statement Thursday, the league said:

''We had been discussing a new approach to bag restrictions before the Boston Marathon incident. We have come up with a way to do it that will actually make access more convenient for fans than it has been. We think the...
                        -06-13-2013, 03:31 PM
                      • RamsFanSam
                        Suckling on the vile underbelly of mediocrity...
                        by RamsFanSam
                        The following article is not intended to be an indictment of all Rams fans; it is, however, representative of the majority of those fans.

An overwhelming majority of Rams fans are frustrated with the team right now. There are various reasons for this frustration, and most of them are easily justified. Lack of knowledge about the future of this team, concern about the lackluster play, the unknown status of a new stadium, and the failure of our defense to make a statement have all multiplied our aggravation.

The media plays an overwhelming role in adding to this frustration. The rise in social media during the past decade has added to the furor. Rams fans everywhere are willing and eager to feast on the voluminous entrails of rumor and speculation in a desperate attempt to relieve the frustration. While the media - including social media - is not consistently inaccurate, one must be reminded that you should not believe everything you read. “If it’s on the internet, it has to be true” is itself untrue.

One should remember that reported observations are often influenced by what a person wishes to witness. Take, for instance, a Facebook post that I recently read. The person watched the game online, and according to what they saw, the EJD was 70% filled by Cowboys fans. I find several problems with his “observation”. First, an online stream of the game will naturally be of much lower resolution and quality than a television broadcast, making it much more difficult to tell exactly what allegiance a fan might have. Second, not everyone who attends a game wears a team jersey. Third, this person is continuously posting about how the Rams have never been able to fill the EJD, how opposing fans always outnumber Rams fans, and how the dome is always quiet. This person has freely admitted he has never attended a game at the dome, and is one of the organizers of the “Bring Back the LA Rams” group. Obviously, this person will say things to support his point of view, no matter how biased and discrepant the statement. While he did report that a large number of people were wearing white jerseys, he assumed that only Cowboys fans were wearing them. In addition, there is no comparison of the sound levels one hears on TV as opposed to hearing them inside the dome.

Another prime example of media hysteria took place last January. One of Stan Kroenke’s companies purchased a plot of land in Inglewood. Immediately, a flurry of reports were issued stating that the Rams were moving back to LA. No one bothered to ask Mr. Kroenke what his intended use for this property might be (and I believe no one has done so to date). Everyone from Sam Farmer to Bernie to John Q. Public began spreading unfounded rumors. I fail to understand why people think this land can only be used for a stadium. Mr. Kroenke is a real estate mogul - his business is buying and developing real estate. So he bought 60 acres of land in...
                        -09-24-2014, 03:39 PM
                      • MauiRam
                        NFL fans have every right to be angry ..
                        by MauiRam
                        By Adam Schein

Updated Mar 14, 2011 2:02 PM ET

The front page of the Saturday morning New York Post read Death Wave, depicting the horror and terror of the disaster in Japan. The picture under the headline showed a house burning in the aftermath of the destruction due to an earthquake that registered to the horrific tune of an 8.9. The back page, a place where the toy department normally calls home, told a much different story. On the day of this gruesome national disaster, New Yorkers awoke to a picture of a frowning DeMaurice Smith and a confused Roger Goodell. The NFL logo was perfectly placed in between. The white headline was captured perfectly in white bold letters against the black backdrop and screamed one singular and perfect word — GREED! The millionaires and the billionaires couldn’t find a way to share. Now that’s pathetic.

By now you know, I favor the players in this nasty battle. But you most certainly must fault both sides for their arrogance, ignorance and defiance over the last few days. The players association and the league lifted their collective middle fingers and raised them in unison to their amazing, die-hard fans in a grotesque display.

I consider myself to be a fair judge of what the football fan wants. In addition to writing and ranting on FOXSports.com, I have hosted a show on Sirius NFL Radio for seven years. If you are listening to my show, The Sirius Blitz, it means you are eschewing the hot button topics in your local market. It means you aren’t locked in on other niche programming. It means you care more about the Titans quarterback situation than the NCAA tournament or the Phillies rotation. This past week, our always flooded phone lines were filled with pure venom. Fans cannot believe that millionaires and billionaires cannot come together to figure out how to divide a $9 billion pie, a pie that the fans are responsible for. The fans pay these salaries. Is a football player a more accomplished athlete than a soccer player in the U.S.? Good question and totally irrelevant. The fan has spoken with his hard-earned money and record-setting viewing, thus making everyone involved in the NFL rich.

And “March Madness” to the NFL fan really got started early this year. Thursday represented the day before the CBA expired. Yet, Pat Bowlen sauntering into the meeting in the late afternoon counted as “breaking news.” Mike Brown deciding to grace us with his presence acted as a story. Why weren’t these integral owners working around the clock? This was totally unacceptable and drove the fan batty. The NFL fan screamed in unison, “WHY DO WE CARE MORE ABOUT A NEW CBA THEN YOU DO!!??!!” Why did negotiations start at 3 p.m. last Monday? Fans stay up past midnight on the eve of free agency. You ask fans on the East Coast to watch Week 1 football until 2 a.m. to give a television partner a Monday night doubleheader. You could at least work around the clock to...
                        -03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
                      • Battering_RAMS
                        Nationally televised games
                        by Battering_RAMS
                        I don't know how the NFL comes up with Sunday and Monday night game schedules but the Rams don't have one this year. That's two in a row now! I live in Florida and never get to see them on t.v. and think it's really not fair to the fans of teams with losing records. I always thought every team had at least one a year. Anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
                        -06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
                      Working...
                      X