Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Rams better off without fans in the stadiums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Rams better off without fans in the stadiums?

Ironic thought. The Rams might be better off without fans in NFL stadiums this year. I have yet to see fans in LA provide any overwhelming home field advantage. In fact, there have been game where opposing fans are screaming as loud as our own fans in our stadium. Not the case in most games on the road where the Rams have to deal with serious crowd noise. Playing the games in silence in all liklihood will not disadvantage the Rams and may actually help. A sad commentary in sad times.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

My one experience at a St. Louis Rams game was when they played the Cowboys the year after the Super Bowl loss. I was in Row VV, the corner away from the jumbotron. I was surrounded by Cowboy fans, and the stadium as a whole wasn't really cheering for the Rams as I would expect. This wasn't a Rams team that had been losing until that year, so the fans had little reason to be disheartened early in the season. So, however the fans in LA are, I can't imagine them being any less committal than the ones in St. Louis, which felt like a baseball town.

Comment

45,000 Green Bay sex dolls taking up all the good seats. What’s not to like? I wonder if ball sanitization will be every down or only change of possession.

Comment

St Louis is indeed, and will always be, a baseball town. I am not saying the fans in st louis were perfect, especially once they started losing. However, coming from someone that attended multiple games in the dome, including playoff games and the two nfc championship games, i assure you that the fans in st louis, at their best, created an impossible environment for opposing teams. It was as loud a stadium as any ever in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Personally, I don't see how the Rams are better without fans. It doesn't make sense to me. Aaron Donald seems to agree:

"You need fans to play a game," Donald told reporters on Thursday. "I don't see how you could play a game without no fans. I feel like that takes out the excitement and the fun out of the game ...

"I feel like the fans is what pick you up. The fans is what makes the game exciting. The fans will give you that extra juice when you're tired and fatigued, when you make that big play and you hear 80,000 fans going crazy. That just pumps you up."

Comment

Interesting posit, GC. I think we have to point to the 2 places where crowd noise seems to have the most impact and they are the Superdome aka the Mercedes Benz Dome in New Orleans and Century Link Field in Seattle, only one of which we'll play in this year. Regrettably we play at Century Link in December and that may be after the NFL permits fans at games. Let's admit, owners will be pressing hard for fans in-house asap as that is a huge revenue stream for them.

The situation in LA will be different than what we've seen thus far at the Coliseum, I believe. Based on what fans will be paying for seat licenses and admission that could have a big impact on who will attend those games. I may be wrong, but were there seat licenses at the Coliseum? I'm sure admission was hefty. LA is not unlike NY (where I lived) where baseball and basketball dominate. Dodgers and Lakers still command the most fan loyalty, especially now that they are winning. That will be the acid test for the Rams...win consistently. The Rams made their first mistake by moving to Anaheim followed by the move to St. Louis so it will take time to regain the LA fan support.

Comment

Strictly from an advantage, disadvantage standpoint? YES. Anyone who has been to a RAM home game ANYWHERE with the exception of 1999/2000 will agree.

Comment

I hear all the time from the good folks in CA about how the west coast fan is as passionate as the east coast fan. If so, there should be no problem getting 50-60 thousand people in a stadium to watch the most popular sport in this country each week in the 2nd largest city in America. YOU CANNOT ALLOW large blocs of opposing fans to come into your stadium to support their team because you're too apathetic to attend games. And I don't want to hear about all the other things available to Californians, and complaints about traffic and all the other nonsense as excuses not to go to games. I live here in NJ (15 min. from the beach and 1 hour from NYC) and save for the year round phenomenal weather, we have most everything CA has: beaches, (better) restaurants, shopping, state parks, theme parks etc and a median income which is comparable. And we've suffered ridiculous traffic for years. Even still, both the Jets and the Giants had wait lists for season tickets back when football wasn't 1/10 as popular as it is now and are supported fiercely to this day.

That said, it will take some time to cultivate a fan base, build loyalty and obtain a home field advantage. It can be done (i.e. Seattle). You do that by creating a good viewing experience, marketing the hell out of your product and playing winning football. Time will tell whether the organization will do that- their whiffs on the logo and elements of the uniforms were not a good start, and the pandemic hasn't helped matters any.

To address the original post, I do not think that playing without fans helps anyone nor is it good for the sport.

Comment

LA will never have home field advantage. Even when winning, opposition fans fill the stands. It has to deflate the team but I’ve seen a few games with plenty of fan support. The classic Vikings, Chiefs and Cowboys (playoff) game in 2018 come to mind. Wasn’t much to cheer about last year. Rams could have built SoFi with 150,000 seats. There’s a reason they limited it to about 72K.

Comment

Originally posted by 99rams View Post
                    LA will never have home field advantage. Even when winning, opposition fans fill the stands. It has to deflate the team but I’ve seen a few games with plenty of fan support. The classic Vikings, Chiefs and Cowboys (playoff) game in 2018 come to mind. Wasn’t much to cheer about last year. Rams could have built SoFi with 150,000 seats. There’s a reason they limited it to about 72K.
                    Well, in fairness, I think you're overstating a bit. There's not a team in the NFL that would draw 150,000 fans and building a stadium with that many seats would've been foolish and made the place look barren. The cavernous Colosieum has over 100,000 seats, and even when the Rams had a healthy crowd there were 30,000 empty seats. It's a terrible look.

I'd remind the Rams faithful that from 2003-2016 this team didn't have a winning season. Going 9-7 last year in the best division in football was disappointing, but hardly a reason for fans to avoid going to games.

Rams might never have the home field advantage that some other franchises enjoy, but again, in a city of that size there's no excuse to not generate a great crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                      St Louis is indeed, and will always be, a baseball town. I am not saying the fans in st louis were perfect, especially once they started losing. However, coming from someone that attended multiple games in the dome, including playoff games and the two nfc championship games, i assure you that the fans in st louis, at their best, created an impossible environment for opposing teams. It was as loud a stadium as any ever in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I've enjoyed very loud pro Rams crowds in the Dome, and I've been to very loud pro Rams crowds in LA. I've also "enjoyed" the exact opposite in both locations, with opposing fans overpowering us. Neither was better from that standpoint.

As for original question, I don't think it will hurt them, like it will other teams that "lean" on the 12th man more

Comment

I am curious GC, how many games have you been to in LA since the Rams returned?
                        "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

I have been to zero games in LA. I have watched every one on TV.

My point is the following. Other teams benefit a lot more from home field advantage than the Rams do. Thus, i would rather play all our games at a neutral site. We have road games in seattle, philly and buffalo, three really rough places to play. There are almost no Rams fans at those games. We have home games against New England, the Giants, Dallas and Chicago (off the top of my head), ie half our home games are against teams that will have a ton of their fans screaming in our stadium. That is just a fact if history is any indicator.

Thus, we are better off as a team, on balance, playing without fans if anyone believes that a screaming crowd has any influence on the outcome of a game. If you dont believe that, then it doesnt matter where you play.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post
                            I am curious GC, how many games have you been to in LA since the Rams returned?
                            You've been to loads of games Joe, what is your take? Do you think the crowds in LA help the team? Seems to me there are plenty of screaming fans at Rams home games.

Comment

For the record, i am not saying that fans in LA dont help the team in some games. I am not criticizing the LA fans that attend. I am simply pointing out that many other stadiums have a higher percentage of home team fans that provide a greater home field advantage than is the case at Rams games. Go rewatch our playoff home win vs dallas and see how many cowboy fans were in the stadium even for a playoff game. Can anyone imagine that even being possible at a game in chicago, philly, green bay, new york? Its all relative. Our home field advantage, whatever it is, is nowhere near as significant as the home field advantage of others.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment