X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Ramsey says he will not hold out, plans to report to training camp

Steve Wyche
    @wyche89

Rams CB Jalen Ramsey said that he would report to training camp without a contract extension. He just said that on a video call with reporters. Ramsey is entering the final year of his contract.

1:27 PM · May 26, 2020·TweetDeck

Rotoworld's take...

Ramsey has as much leverage as any player in recent memory after the Rams gave up the farm to get him last October, but he has decided to play nice, at least initially. The new CBA features amazingly punitive holdout fines, though not for players still on their first contract. It seems like both sides want to get something done here.

Comment

Steve Wyche
      @wyche89

Rams Coach Sean McVay on contract extension situation with CB Jalen Ramsey: “The anticipation in acquiring him is that he is a Ram for a long time. We went and got this guy with the hope that it’s not a short-term thing.”

3:49 PM · May 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Rotoworld's take...

[Ramsey] has decided to play nice, at least initially. The new CBA features amazingly punitive holdout fines, though not for players still on their first contract. It seems like both sides want to get something done here.

Not sure if this is more of a surprise or an expectation fulfilled. Either way...

GOOD for Rams & Ramsey!

On the other hand, from the Friskies press:

Whiners should benefit from Rams' poor choices,
        Jalen Ramsey extension

NBC Sports
        By Brian Witt
        May 26, 2020 p.m.

The Los Angeles Rams are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and it's unlikely to get any more comfortable any time soon.

Forget the fact that they've been passed up by the Whiners and the rest of the NFC West. Ignore the fact that they're spending nearly $30 million in dead money this coming season to have running back Todd Gurley and receiver Brandin Cooks play for other teams. Gloss over the fact that quarterback Jared Goff might have the most burdensome contract in the NFL. Overlook the fact that they rank dead last in available cap space, and pay no mind to the fact that the Rams don't have a first-round pick in next year's draft.

Instead, let's focus on the move that arguably put them in such a terrible position, and likely will keep them there for several seasons to come.

Make no mistake, Jalen Ramsey is an amazing player. He might be the best cornerback in all of football, which is why it cost Los Angeles such a pretty penny to acquire him last season. To get him, the Rams sent their 2020 and 2021 first-round draft picks and a 2021 fourth-round selection to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jags never intended to sign Ramsey to the lucrative contract extension he surely would command, which was the main impetus in trading him. The Rams appeared ready to do what Jacksonville would not, particularly considering all the value they gave up in trading for Ramsey.

Well, the time to pay the piper is fast approaching, and it doesn't sound like the Rams should be expecting any sort of a discount.

"The Rams know where I stand," Ramsey said Tuesday on a video conference call with reporters (H/T ESPN's Lindsey Thiry). "I think that's all that matters at the end of the day. It will be handled. They know where I stand. They've been in contact with my agent. They're on the same page as my agent."

"I feel like everybody knew what type of situation it was gonna be once they traded for me," Ramsey added, "so I think it doesn't really need to be talked about that much. It'll get handled."

Ramsey's next contract is expected to reset the cornerback market, and deservedly so. He has all of the leverage, as Los Angeles cannot afford to let him go. They don't want to, but the hefty annual salary they'll be forced to pay Ramsey inevitably will make it much tougher to fill out the rest of their roster.

"The anticipation was to acquire him with the hope that he's a Ram for a long time," Los Angeles coach Sean McVay told reporters. "You want to figure out, 'How do we get him taken care of the way that he deserves and still make sure we're mindful of the entire team?"

McVay is considered one of the brightest minds in all of football, but even he is going to be extremely challenged to solve that quandary. The Rams can't afford to let Ramsey go, but they can't really afford to pay him, either. The most likely outcome is that they ultimately sign Ramsey to a record-breaking extension, but upon doing so, they'll be squeezed even tighter than they already are.

Los Angeles had its window. The Rams took their shot, and they missed. Trading what they did for a player of Ramsey's quality is far more defensible than giving an unproven Goff $110 million guaranteed, but combined -- along with some other moves that backfired -- they appear likely to put the Rams in the NFC West cellar, and to keep them there for the foreseeable future.

The Whiners' division currently is considered perhaps the toughest in the NFL. But thanks to the Rams shooting themselves in the foot, that could change relatively soon.
        Last edited by RealRam; -05-26-2020, 11:43 PM. Reason: Additional article

Comment

The above article is awfully negative.....and unfortunately true, as I see it. The Ramsey deal is simply the latest irresponsible contract doled out by the Rams, and it's a lose-lose proposition. Option 1 is to keep the guy and have to pay him a fortune, which will hamstring you financially for years and prevent you from filling out your roster with quality players. Option 2 is to decline signing him, in which case we'll have traded away two #1's and have nothing to show for it.

The Rams recent management strategy is to overwhelm guys with money- some before they really needed to even consider it- and then watch as the organization struggles to free up cap space. It's a tremendous gamble, and I can't tell you enough how strongly I'm against this approach. It is fiscally irresponsible. The Rams were wooed by Gurley's early productivity, then foolishly extended him with outrageous money only to see him (inevitably, with his history) break down. They paid handsomely for Cooks, only to see him miss significant time with concussion issues, necessitating his trade. They gave Goff a Brink's truck full of dough, and there are major questions as to whether this guy is actually an upper tier QB or one in disguise. And now Ramsey, whose signing was ill-timed and I feel, ill-conceived. Ironically, the one guy who unquestionably deserved his money the most is Aaron Donald, with whom the Rams played hardball.

I'm not a financial genius, but I do know this: Too many outrageous contracts in a league where there's a hard salary cap impacts your ability to adequately address needs elsewhere. That's Football 101. My choice with Ramsey? Dump him. Don't give in to what will surely be outrageous demands.Take the short term hit and swallow your pride. I don't give a damn how good people think the guy is, he's not worth setting ourselves up for what will be a dreadful period in which we can't obtain afford to make meaningful roster moves for quality talent. Mark my words.
          Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -05-27-2020, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
            The above article [post #4] is awfully negative...

Of course it is, it's a biased piece of writing from the Friskies press. (^_^)

But I hope you are wrong in that the article is "true".

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post
              Of course it is, it's a biased piece of writing from the Friskies press. (^_^)

But I hope you are wrong in that the article is "true".
              That's exactly the point I came here to make. The guy is a writer for the Bay Area division of NBC Sports. I'm rather pleased I don't find myself agreeing with his take on things.

Comment

From my take, it is not too far off. At least on paper during off season. I just read an article about NFC West and who the top QB is. Of course Wilson was top rated. The debate went on about Whiners and Cardinals signal callers. at the very end, a quick mention of Goff as brining up the rear and his regression last year.

I hope this year, the Rams use these type of articles and opinions and come on strong. It seems they are not on the radar screen just two year after the SB egg. There is plenty of talent on this team.

My guess is if they had to do it over again with Ramsey, they would not. But we are where we are.

Comment

NJ & mac, I must respectfully pushback a bit with your assertions concerning the Ramsey deal. Yes, we paid a hefty price for him, but with those 2 1st round picks we're likely talking about picks around #20, not top ten. Given that scenario, I have to trust that Rams looked down the road and felt that at that place there weren't going to be the plug n' play type of prospects found in the top ten. So that means a year or two of college to the NFL growth. Now let's admit that there is a Super Bowl window for us given the Goff and Donald contracts plus their aging. Not to say it cannot happen, but Ramsey is an assured quantity, injuries notwithstanding. In looking at this year's 1st round the only player drafted in the 20's that I can say I would have liked for us was Cesar Ruiz C, given our needs. The strategy for the Rams in the draft right now is 2nd round-mid-round prospects and thus far we haven't done too badly.

On this matter I like what our defense is looking towards with Donald and Ramsey as well as some other additions/promotions such as A'Shawn Robinson, Leonard Floyd, Terrell Lewis, Micah Kiser and Terrell Burgess, plus as Peter Schrager of NFL Network called him our "secret weapon", Brandon Staley.

On your other assertions, I do agree we were a bit generous with the Goff contract, but he was the #1 pick and these days QB's get outsize amounts of money. Let's see what Mahomes gets. The Gurley deal was timely and a bit generous, but has since been eclipsed by Elliott of the 'Boys and McCaffrey. The main reason we're unhappy is the arthritis issue and who could have foreseen that? The Cooks matter is almost similar, although he had to be signed as he was at the end of his rookie deal and could have cost more if he hadn't been signed at the time of his acquisition, which is my understanding.

NJ & mac, I'm not saying you're wrong, but let's travel back to the John Shaw days when he wouldn't spend any money and the Rams were nowhere in the scheme of contending teams. Plus, given the WR's and TE's in our division having a shutdown CB who has positional versatility combined with our other defensive players may make us a team to be truly reckoned with. I am looking forward to seeing our new defense in action.

Comment

Interesting, interesting and sound views -- even in opposition of each other.

Come on Ramsey, don't let us down!

Comment

Fun fact: I was one of Peter Schrager's High School Phys. Ed. teachers.

That aside, I've made my feelings quite clear about Ramsey. And the draft picks at this point are a secondary issue to our ability to shape our roster in the future. Spending money is all well and good but it must be spent wisely. The Rams haven't done that with several huge contracts, and instead have put themselves in a tenuous position financially.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                        Spending money is all well and good but it must be spent wisely.
                        I would honestly love to hear some examples of what you think money spent wisely is. I'm not trying to be snarky, I sincerely want to know.

I say that because locking up a versatile 25-year-old player widely considered to be among the best in the league at his position seems to me like a perfect example of spending your money wisely, but obviously you disagree.

This reminds me of the discussions about the Rams extending Donald and how some people felt like it was just going to be too much, even though it was clear his talent and ability was worthy of an extension.

Personally, I've seen too many years of the Rams fielding embarrassing rosters to not want to lock up an elite player when they have one.

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
                        My guess is if they had to do it over again with Ramsey, they would not.
                        What do you base that on? I would think if the Rams felt that way, they would have tried to move Ramsey to regain draft capital. There's been no indication they've been anything but thrilled with him. I don't think Staley comes out and lavishes praise on the guy if they aren't happy to have dealt for him.

My guess is the Rams don't value late first round draft picks as much as fans do, probably because their professional evaluations of players over a number of years did not reveal a significant difference in the grades of late first round players compared to second round players. Time will tell whether they're right or not, but they're definitely not the only team whose moves suggest they follow this philosophy.

Comment

MDE,

There is no right or wrong in most of the posts here. There are opinions. you make good points but I am of the train of thought that the cap hell we are in was completely avoidable. A few of the contracts were just not necessary. Now we are paying roughly 30% of our roster for players no longer here. This started back with Tavon.... We have key players to sign after this year. Ramsey is a great player, no doubt. How much will he cost and what toll does it take to sign Kupp, Johnson and others?

In the meantime, the NFC West has caught up with the Rams. The Whiners especially tough one to swallow.

I am certainly hopeful the Rams are not headed back to the desert walk we have all experienced too many years since 1989. This team has talent. I have faith in Sean. But the FO is not giving me loads of confidence with some of the moves they have made with contracts dating back to Tavon.

And thanks for bringing up John Shaw. Many years of therapy to forget that guy! lol

Comment

mac, you're welcome regarding the John Shaw reference. I think all Rams fans were in therapy after that debacle. When I said right or wrong I was alluding more to the Rams being right or wrong in their actions concerning the Ramsey deal and the contracts given to Gurley and Cooks plus Goff and Donald. I apologize for that misunderstanding. I respect yours and NJ's opinions. BTW, we are in total lockstep about Tavon, which wasn't just a bust pick, but we traded up 8 spots to select him!

Its interesting that you cite resigning both Kupp and Johnson, who I too desperately hope we can resign, but they are 2 examples of the Rams draft strategy concerning mid-round picks. As you say, we are in a division where talent is all around us and we need to keep pace. For that reason having an elite CB like Ramsey is a valuable asset.

I will add that my greatest concern is if there are no fans in stadiums which I stated was a huge revenue stream for owners could result in a reduction in the salary cap for next year. The one plus is that the ***** will need to resign Trent Williams, which could give them cap problems although I admit to not knowing their situation that well.

Looking ahead I feel that we have a coaching staff that evaluates talent better than previous ones. To me, that signals we have a plan and know which players fit our scheme best. Injuries can always derail those plans, but that's the nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

I would honestly love to hear some examples of what you think money spent wisely is. I'm not trying to be snarky, I sincerely want to know.

I say that because locking up a versatile 25-year-old player widely considered to be among the best in the league at his position seems to me like a perfect example of spending your money wisely, but obviously you disagree.

This reminds me of the discussions about the Rams extending Donald and how some people felt like it was just going to be too much, even though it was clear his talent and ability was worthy of an extension.

Personally, I've seen too many years of the Rams fielding embarrassing rosters to not want to lock up an elite player when they have one.

I think I already referenced examples of questionable financial decisions in my previous post involving Gurley, Goff and Cooks, specifically, but to get into the particulars, here goes:

We extended Gurley with a ridiculous amount of money-with $45 million of it guaranteed- two years before we had to, only to have to cut the guy two years later. This was a shortsighted decision given his injury history and the short shelf life of workhorse backs in the NFL. This was the start of it all.

The Rams gave Goff a deal with an NFL record $110 million in guaranteed money before he needed to be extended. Goff wasn't publicly seeking a new deal right away. Yes, had Goff gotten better the Rams would possibly have had to pay even more for him to stick around, especially since Sean McVay publicly (and many say foolishly) extolled the guy's virtues as he was approaching new contract time. But Goff has regressed, starting with an awful SB performance and continuing to the point where some have even suggested his days could be numbered (I have not gone so far as to feel that way just yet), but the fact remains that the Rams right now have an average QB making top dollar.

The Rams gave Brandin Cooks an $80 million extension. It is bad luck that Cooks has subsequently dealt with concussion issues, but he's apparently healthy enough to play elsewhere, and the Rams are on the hook for a portion of his dead money.

And I will continue to say until my dying freaking' breath that a cornerback is not a guy one should break the bank for. I don't care WHO he is. Why would it have been bad strategy to instead get a guy, draft a guy or develop a guy who is solid and can play the position well, instead of obtaining a guy in mid-season for the Fort Knox that Ramsey will undoubtedly command?? Isn't this lending to the untenable cap situation the team has just had to turn over stone to try and dig itself out of? It's these kind of moves which prevent the Rams from being able to better upgrade areas of need.

Only Aaron Donald has shown the kind of staying power along with excellence that warrants the money he's been given. And none of this of course even addresses the #1 draft picks we've forked over while all this was going on, which is an entirely separate issue.

Not much more I can really say- I simply feel the Rams have not allocated their money wisely, and adding another monstrosity of a contract at the expense of everyone else will not help them retain their own guys or obtain free agents of note.

Comment