State of the Franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Franchise

An interesting take on the Rams for 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/state-of-th...rse-2019-slide

Interesting, good read. Thanks MDE.

On the other hand, that the Rams were in Aaron Donald's shape! [Per video]

Comment

The article correctly illustrates the many obstacles the Rams have to overcome including a tough overall schedule, an even tougher division, brand new coordinators, an unproven running game, questions on the offensive line, and the loss of pieces like Fowler and Littleton. Amidst all of that is the fundamental question about what we actually have in Jared Goff. And I totally agree this is a big year for McVay, who was anointed early (and probably unfairly) in his tenure but will be put to the test in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
        The article correctly illustrates the many obstacles the Rams have to overcome including a tough overall schedule, an even tougher division, brand new coordinators, an unproven running game, questions on the offensive line, and the loss of pieces like Fowler and Littleton. Amidst all of that is the fundamental question about what we actually have in Jared Goff. And I totally agree this is a big year for McVay, who was anointed early (and probably unfairly) in his tenure but will be put to the test in 2020.
        You touched on what I thought was the key issue raised in the article which is the value Jared Goff offers to the Rams. I do feel he is a very talented QB but for the Rams to reach/return to the championship level Goff must improve his decision making.

The defense stopping scoring drives or the O-Line providing the cleanest pocket or a kicker who makes 100% of FG attempts means very little if Goff isn't leading the offense on a consistent basis putting points on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

You touched on what I thought was the key issue raised in the article which is the value Jared Goff offers to the Rams. I do feel he is a very talented QB but for the Rams to reach/return to the championship level Goff must improve his decision making.

The defense stopping scoring drives or the O-Line providing the cleanest pocket or a kicker who makes 100% of FG attempts means very little if Goff isn't leading the offense on a consistent basis putting points on the board.
          We weren't consistent in stopping the run on D last year - there isn't much Goff can do about that. This year we've got a lot of new faces on D, and maybe Brandon Staley can put the new faces in the right places .. Stopping the run is key. It's the old "box of chocolates scenario" - at this time we simply don't know what we'll get.

Of equal importance is our running game. No running game and we'll find ourselves floundering in mediocrity. Goff isn't Russell Wilson or Lamar Jackson - he can't make opposing defenses pay with his legs. However, he can make them pay with improved decision making. I believe he will with another year of seasoning under his belt. On the other hand - if he is running for his life half the time it will prove a hindrance to his development.

Cam Akers looks great on his college film - especially given his ability to rack up the majority of his yards after contact. Can Akers segue that talent to the NFL? I dunno. The way things appear at this point, he'll definitely need to transition that ability to the next level as our O-line is a huge question mark at this point. I'm hoping we will be pleasantly surprised ..

Comment

I think Maui is 100% correct. I dont think the offensive line issue pertains to providing the cleanest pocket for Goff. THe issue is a functional running game, which makes down and distance manageable and makes play action, a critical part of our offense effective. Our run blocking was a disgrace all last year. Sure, we allowed the fewest sacks in the nfl. The pass blocking wasnt the greatest, the sacks allowed stat is misleading, but the run blocking was just terrible and we were just horrible on third down, part of which was a distance issue. That is the single biggest need for improvement on this team. There is not qb that is going to be really effective in third and long over and over.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Yeah as Goff needs to be in the clutch. When it comes down to it there. Need to see more of that.
              Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                I dont think the offensive line issue pertains to providing the cleanest pocket for Goff. The issue is a functional running game which makes down and distance manageable and makes play action a critical part of our offense effective.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                That sums it up in a nutshell folks ...

Comment

I think some of you have misunderstood my point. I certainly agree that improvement in the running game is critical for the Rams to succeed. My point about the "clean pocket" is more of an indication for enabling Goff to pass or hand-off. Bottom line, move the ball down the field. In order for that to occur, Goff needs to see what the defense is scheming and initiate the play. That is where the decision making comes into play. Look at Goff's TD/interception ratio and tell me that last year wasn't a decided drop for the previous 2 years. Decision making but also play calling.

As for the run defense, absolutely. That was our downfall last season. But at the end of the day the winning team has the most points on the board. Score TD's.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rambos
                    Individual Workouts when and where
                    by Rambos
                    From NFL.COM

Pro Day calendar
                    Dates and schools subject to change

Click here for Junior Days
                    March 8

BYU, Florida, Lane, Nebraska, Nevada-Las Vegas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin-Madison
                    March 9

Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Clemson, Delaware, Fordham, Iowa State, Louisiana-Monroe, Ohio State, Texas Tech, Wyoming
                    March 10

Arizona State, Cincinnati, Eastern Illinois, Grambling State, Kent State, Purdue, South Florida, Wofford
                    March 11

Abilene Christian, Nicholls State, San Diego State
                    March 13

Alabama State, Arkansas State, Cal-Davis, Cal-Poly, Fresno State, Furman, Kansas State
                    March 14

Bowie State, Brown, Jacksonville State, Massachusetts, Pittsburg State (Kan.), Shippensburg (Pa.), Towson, Troy, Tulane, Tuskegee, Wake Forest
                    March 15

Alabama A&M, Arkansas, Bethune-Cookman, BYU, Central Michigan, Home Depot Center (Carson, Calif.), Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, Northwood (Mich.), Oregon State, Saginaw Valley State (Mich.), South Carolina, Southern, Stanford, Temple, Tennessee, Western Carolina
                    March 16

Appalachian State, Catawba, Central Missouri, Clark, Florida A&M, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Massachusetts, Penn State, UCLA (weightlifting), Western Kentucky
                    March 17

Colorado, Lambuth, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Portland State, Princeton, UCLA (running), Vanderbilt, Villanova, West Georgia
                    March 18

Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Windsor
                    March 20

Cumberland (Tenn.), Harvard, Iowa, Richmond, South Carolina State, Southern Mississippi, SE Missouri State, William & Mary
                    March 21

Monmouth, New Mexico, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia
                    March 22

Fort Valley State, Howard, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Rutgers, Southern Illinois, Texas, Texas State
                    March 23

Auburn, Duke, Miami (Ohio), North Carolina Central, Notre Dame, Shippensburg (Pa.)
                    March 24

Colorado State, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Indiana State, Lambuth, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Northwestern State (La.), Portland State
                    March 27

Houston, Rice
                    March 28

Jacksonville State, Utah State
                    March 29

Arizona State, Central Florida, Tennessee, Utah
                    March 30

Carson-Newman, Stephen F. Austin
                    March 31

Louisiana Tech, Purdue
                    April 2

Southern California (Weight-lifting portion will be at Heritage Hall; 40-yard dash and on-field testing will take place at Cromwell Track & Field, which is adjacent to Heritage Hall. Junior Day also...
                    -03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
                  • RamsFan16
                    Senior/Junior Pro Days
                    by RamsFan16
                    http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

Individual Workouts

They are going to be stretched, measured, timed, scouted and put on display for every team in the league. The NFL has come calling for the top collegiate talent, and for several weeks following the Scouting Combine in February, the schools will showcase the best and brightest.

We'll update the calendar soon after the schools announce their dates. All results compiled by NFL.com draft guru Gil Brandt will be shared below, as well as news, notes and possible draft surprises. (In 2005, we brought you the results of 161 Pro Days.)

Pro Day calendar
                    Dates and schools subject to change

March 1
                    # Central Florida I

March 2
                    # Ball State, Baylor, Boise State, Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Maine, Missouri, Northwestern, Toledo

March 3
                    # Louisiana-Lafayette, North Dakota, Sam Houston State, South Dakota State, Yale

March 4
                    # LSU I, Miami (Fla.), Texas A&M

March 6
                    # Army, Louisville, Montana, Minnesota, Utah

March 7
                    # Eastern Kentucky, Indiana, Nebraska-Omaha, Oklahoma State, Troy I, Utah State I, UTEP, Western Michigan

March 8
                    # BYU, Florida, Kentucky, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame I, Oklahoma, Washington State, Wisconsin

March 9
                    # Clemson, Delaware, Fordham, Iowa State, Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas, Ohio State, Oregon I, Texas Tech, Wyoming

March 10
                    # Akron, Arizona State I, Cincinnati, Grambling State, Kent State, Purdue I, South Florida, Texas Christian, Washington, West Virginia, Wofford

March 13
                    # Alabama State, Cal-Davis, Fresno State, Furman, Sacramento State

March 14
                    # California, New Hampshire, Pittsburg State (Kan.), San Diego State, Shippensburg, Troy II, Wake Forest

March 15
                    # Alabama, Alabama A&M, Arkansas, Bethune-Cookman, Boston College, Central Michigan, Florida A&M, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Nevada-Reno, Northwood (Mich.), Oregon State, Saginaw Valley State (Mich.), South Carolina, Stanford, Temple, Tennessee I, Western Carolina

March 16
                    # Alabama-Birmingham, Appalachian State, Catawba, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, LSU II, Massachusetts, Oregon II, Penn State, Princeton, UCLA (bench press), Virginia Tech

March 17
                    # Colorado, Marshall, Michigan, UCLA (running), Vanderbilt, Villanova

March 18
                    # Michigan State, Pittsburgh

March 20
                    # East Carolina, Iowa, Southern Mississippi, William & Mary

March 21
                    # Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia

March 22
                    # Fort Valley State, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Rutgers, Southern Illinois, Texas

March 23
                    # Auburn, Connecticut, Duke, Georgia, Miami...
                    -02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    Official Pro Days Thread
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    As the Pro Days are near, here's the thread to post updates.

This is the schedule of Pro Days:

March 1: Purdue, Texas-El Paso
                    March 4: Alabama-Birmingham, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Minnesota, North Dakota State, Troy
                    March 5: Auburn, Buffalo, Harding, Jackson State, Northwestern, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Tuskegee, Youngstown State
                    March 6: Alabama A&M, Duquesne, Eastern Washington, Kent State, Mississippi State, North Alabama, Northern Arizona, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Texas Tech, Wisconsin
                    March 7: Arizona, Arkansas-Monticello, Clemson, Furman, Idaho, Illinois, Miami (Fla.), Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Syracuse, Washington State
                    March 8: Arizona State, Cornell, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Missouri State, Montana, Mount Union, Ohio State, Southern Mississippi, TCU, Texas A&M, Wofford
                    March 11: California (Pa.), Central Michigan, Penn State
                    March 12: Delaware State, Florida, Jacksonville State, Kansas State, Lehigh, Monmouth, Oklahoma State, Portland State, Towson, UCLA
                    March 13: Alabama, Central Oklahoma, Cincinnati, Colorado, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Marshall, Maryland, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Rutgers, Washington
                    March 14: Arkansas State, California, Fort Valley State, Georgia Tech, Grambling State, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Tulsa, UNLV, West Alabama, West Virginia
                    March 15: Arkansas, Georgia State, Kansas, Oregon State, San Jose State
                    March 18: Air Force, Albany State (Ga.), Howard, Idaho State, Indiana, Memphis, Montana State, Valdosta State, Villanova, Virginia Union, Wake Forest
                    March 19: Florida A&M, Florida State, Louisville, Richmond (with Liberty), Sam Houston State, San Diego State, Virginia
                    March 20: Ball State, Baylor, Central Florida, Connecticut, North Carolina State, Ohio, Sacramento State, Tennessee, Utah
                    March 21: Boise State, Eastern Kentucky, Georgia, Kentucky, Miami (Ohio), Old Dominion, Stanford, Stony Brook, Temple, William & Mary
                    March 22: Missouri Western, Tennessee State, Vanderbilt
                    March 25: Duke, Iowa, Middle Tennessee State, Stephen F. Austin
                    March 26: Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, McNeese State, North Carolina, North Carolina Central, Notre Dame, Texas
                    March 27: LSU, South Carolina, SMU, USC
                    March 28: BYU, Central Arkansas, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, Louisiana-Lafayette, Yale
                    March 29: Southeast Missouri State
                    April 2: Columbia
                    -02-27-2013, 09:34 AM
                  • Nick
                    2018 NFL Draft preview: Ranking the top five players at each position
                    by Nick
                    2018 NFL Draft preview: Ranking the top five players at each position
                    Get ready to start hearing a lot about Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen
                    by Dane Brugler 2h ago 3 min read

There are still 360+ days until the 2018 NFL Draft, but with the 2017 NFL Draft complete, scouting services and NFL front offices will start to look toward next year's college prospects. Below is an early position-by-position preview of the players who have attracted NFL interest.

*indicates draft-eligible underclassman

Quarterback
                    1. Sam Darnold, USC* (6-3, 225, 4.74)
                    2. Josh Rosen, UCLA* (6-3, 210, 4.97)
                    3. Lamar Jackson, Louisville* (6-2, 205, 4.47)
                    4. Josh Allen, Wyoming* (6-5, 230, 4.74)
                    5. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State (6-4, 235, 4.77)
                    Just missed: Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma), Luke Falk (Washington State), Max Browne (Pittsburgh), Matt Linehan (Idaho), Wilton Speight (Michigan), Jarrett Stidham (Auburn)

Running Back
                    1. Saquon Barkley, Penn State* (5-11, 223, 4.49)
                    2. Derrius Guice, LSU* (5-11, 222, 4.53)
                    3. Ronald Jones, USC* (6-0, 195, 4.49)
                    4. Bo Scarbrough, Alabama (6-1, 228, 4.59)
                    5. Nick Chubb, Georgia (5-10, 220, 4.54)
                    Just missed: Myles Gaskin (Washington), Rawleigh Williams III (Arkansas), Royce Freeman (Oregon), Ralph Webb (Vanderbilt), Kalen Ballage (Arizona State), Justin Jackson (Northwestern)

Wide Receiver
                    1. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M* (5-11, 200, 4.39)
                    2. Courtland Sutton, SMU* (6-3, 215, 4.52)
                    3. Calvin Ridley, Alabama* (6-1, 188, 4.50)
                    4. James Washington, Oklahoma State (6-0, 205, 4.49)
                    5. Deon Cain, Clemson* (6-1, 210, 4.47)
                    Just missed: Antonio Callaway (Florida), Dante Pettis (Washington), Simmie Cobbs (Indiana), Allen Lazard (Iowa State), Deebo Samuel (South Carolina), Deontay Burnett (USC), D.J. Clark (LSU)

Tight End
                    1. Mark Andrews, Oklahoma* (6-4, 250, 4.77)
                    2. Mike Gisecki, Penn State (6-5, 252, 4.85)
                    3. Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin (6-5, 248, 4.84)
                    4. Tyrone Wheatley, Michigan* (6-5, 276, 4.89)
                    5. Deandre Goolsby, Florida (6-4, 245, 4.76)
                    Just missed: Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State), Durham Smythe (Notre Dame), Marcus Baugh (Ohio State), Dalton Schultz (Stanford), Ryan Izzo (Florida State), C.J. Conrad (Kentucky)

Offensive Tackle
                    1. Connor Williams, Texas* (6-5, 290, 5.06)
                    2. Mitch Hyatt, Clemson* (6-5, 295, 5.05)
                    3. Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame (6-7, 310, 5.22)
                    4. Orlando Brown, Oklahoma* (6-7, 340, 5.44)
                    5. Trey Adams, Washington* (6-7, 309, 5.28)
                    Just missed: Toby Weathersby (LSU), Brock Ruble (Florida State), Martinas Rankin (Mississippi State), Jamarco Jones (Ohio State), Chukwuma Okorafor (Western Michigan), Zachary Crabtree (Oklahoma State)

Offensive Guard/Center
                    1. Billy Price, Ohio State (6-3, 315, 5.19)
                    2. Quenton Nelson, Notre...
                    -04-30-2017, 03:24 PM
                  • DJRamFan
                    Conference Realignment
                    by DJRamFan
                    With Idaho leaving the Sun Belt, the final domino has probably fallen. However, we never know. Here's the final breakdown for the beginning of the 2005 season.

Big East
                    Cincinnati
                    Connecticut
                    Louisville

Pittsburgh
                    Rutgers
                    South Florida
                    Syracuse
                    West Virginia

Atlantic Coast
                    Division A
                    Boston College