• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Donald responds to Skip Bayless saying he's 'not that valuable'

Aaron Donald responds to Skip Bayless saying he's 'not that valuable'

Cameron DaSilva
    20 hours ago

This week, Pro Football Focus ranked the 50 best players in the NFL heading into the 2020 season. Aaron Donald was unsurprisingly No. 1 on the list, ahead of Patrick Mahomes at No. 2. Donald has been the most dominant defender for years, and PFF is among the outlets calling him the best player in the NFL for some time.

Skip Bayless takes exception to PFF’s claim, though. On FS1’s “Undisputed” Friday, Bayless gave his take on the top-50 rankings and argued that it’s “preposterous” that Donald was ranked first “by a distance,” as PFF put it.

After saying the Buccaneers would laugh at a hypothetical trade of Donald and Jared Goff for Tom Brady, Bayless went on to declare that Donald is “not that valuable” and isn’t a player that’s ever caught his eye.

“They don’t need Aaron Donald because he’s not that valuable. He does not play quarterback,” Bayless said.

Donald stumbled upon Bayless’ comments and responded on Twitter.
    There are several issues with Bayless’ claims about Donald, the first of which is that PFF’s list wasn’t based on value. It was strictly about the best players in the league, not the most valuable.

As we’ve seen in the voting for MVP every year, quarterbacks are viewed as most valuable. That’s not what this ranking was about, and Sam Monson of PFF called Bayless out about it

Sam Monson@PFF_Sam
    READ THE INTRO, SKIP. The list is NOT about value.If it was, it would be QBs 1-20+
    12:28 PM - Jun 5, 2020

Bayless clearly hasn’t watched much of Donald or studied his impact on the game, because he’s the most unstoppable pass rusher in the league – and has been for years. His impact on the game goes beyond the box score, always commanding double-teams and opening things up for his fellow pass rushers.

While maybe not the most valuable player in football, Donald is certainly among the best – certainly better than Brady at this point in his career.

I sure hope our new DC can exploit Donald’s talents so that the defense can more effectively get to QBs.
    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Put Skippy B. in at QB -- uniform and all -- for a few Rams offense vs. defense practice drills.

Put the play in action ... and then we'll see about being "valuable".

Comment

1. Bayless is a jerk and always has been.
        2. To suggest Donald is "not that valuable" is to know nothing about football.
        3. The Brady for Goff and Donald trade is a stupid "what if" scenario that isn't even worth a comment

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
          To suggest Donald is "not that valuable" is to know nothing about football
          it's absolutely mind boggling that someone with a national platform to opine on sports would say Donald is "not that valuable", mind boggling. "Not that valuable", meaning Donald is just an average player who basically fills a role on defense? I'm sorry, but Bayless is CLUEless.

Comment

I repeat myself for the millionth time. Go watch the first half of the patriots falcons super bowl and tell me how good brady looks, let alone all the GOAT crap. With guys in his face and getting hit, he is a mere mortal. In the second half of that super bowl, he had all day to throw and ripped up the falcons.

I truly defy anyone to make the argument that brady is a better qb than elway. Just no way that was the case. Point to the super bowls all you want, he has had a great career and is a well deserved first ballot hall of famer. But he is overated as the greatest of all time stuff. Belicheat, much as i hate him, is the greatest coach in the history of pro sports and frankly, its not a close call given how the nfl salary cap works.

Aaron Donald is a game changing defensive player. The number one defensive player in the nfl. Brady is an above average qb at this point of his career, nothing more than that. Put him behind a lousy offensive line right now and he would look like an unmitigated disaster. He has exactly zero mobility.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

GC, you're holding back, you should say what you mean LOL. Brady is this generation's QB darling, just as Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw and Bart Starr had that luster previously. I believe football pundits will always defer to the QB. Skip Bayless is a provocateur who stirs the pot to induce viewers to his ESPN program. He's a Cowboys fan so that should tell us something. I truly hope that Aaron Donald has this article fresh in mind when the Cowboys come to town in Sept. That will hopefully give Bayless reason to rethink his statement.

My personal annoyance is the way salaries for QB's escalate almost regardless of performance. It is ruining the ability of teams to build great rosters and the Rams are a classic example. In Brady's defense he was willing to accept a lower salary to allow other higher cost players to join the Patriots.

Comment

Originally posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

...I'm sorry, but Bayless is CLUEless.

Referring to AD, that is a definite understatement considering all the high-rev / hyper talk that often comes out of the little Skip engine that couldn't, regardless of topic.

Aaron Donald is a venerable V E R Y valuable monster DL.

Comment

MDE is exactly right. Brady's decision to play at half his market rate for the prime years of his career is a major contributing factor in the patriots success. If he demanded top dollar every year, that would have cost bellicheat 2-3 starters and may have changed the outcomes. He deserves enormous credit for that decision, more credit than he deserves for his actual on field performance because i can not think of any other HOF caliber star qb that has ever done that.

Most overated qb of all time. Brett Favre

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rambos
                    Aaron Donald making early impact for Rams
                    by Rambos
                    By Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- While No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson continues to wait his turn to contribute to the St. Louis Rams, their other first-round pick has jumped out to a strong start despite limited opportunities.

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald, the No. 13 overall pick in May, isn't technically a starter three games into his rookie season but he's making the most of the chances he's been afforded. And a strong argument could be made that Donald's opportunities should increase based on how he's played.

Although Donald has played an average of just 25.3 snaps per game in the first three games, the unofficial statistics the Rams keep based on coaches' review of the film would indicate he's been their most productive defensive lineman. Those reviews have him down for 16 tackles, a sack and three tackles for loss.

Aaron Donald has made the most of the limited opportunities he's been given.
                    Not that the soft-spoken Donald is satisfied with his early efforts.

"The game is faster," Donald said. "I’m getting adjusted to it and getting a little more comfortable out there but to me, football is football. That’s all we can do is go out there and compete. It’s the same thing I have been doing since I was 5, playing the game of football. Going out there when my number is called and trying to make plays."

For now, it seems unlikely that Donald will have his number called much more than he has throughout the first three weeks. He played 50 percent of the defensive snaps in the opener against Minnesota and has been below that in the games against Tampa Bay and Dallas.

The Rams prefer to rotate their defensive linemen as much as possible which has left Donald relegated to working in behind Kendall Langford on the interior. Most of Donald's snaps have so far come on obvious passing downs as his quickness and pass-rush skills make him a natural fit for that role.

Against Dallas, Donald played 19 of his 27 snaps in pass-rush situations. But Donald has been productive against the run, too. For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus has Donald graded as the Rams' best defender in the first three weeks with a grade of 5.9 against the run. That score is second best against the run among defensive tackles in the league according to PFF.

Given the Rams' woes in defending the run, they rank 29th in the league, it would make sense to sprinkle in a handful more snaps for Donald moving forward.

"On pass-rushing downs is usually when I’m going to be in there," Donald said. "But you just rotate. We try to keep each other fresh. When my name is called I’m going to go in there and give it everything I’ve got. Then I come out and he goes back in. That’s the good thing. They are valuable reps and you don’t want to waste none of them so when you are out there, you better be ready to go."
                    -09-29-2014, 03:48 PM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Dirk Koetter: Aaron Donald On Same Level As J.J. Watt
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Dirk Koetter: Aaron Donald on same level as J.J. Watt

By Chris Wesseling
                    Around the NFL Writer
                    Published: Dec. 15, 2015 at 11:51 p.m.

J.J. Watt is the greatest defensive player of his generation, on pace to challenge Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White and a handful of luminaries as best there ever was.

Now he has company in the form of surging second-year St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who has landed on the radar of Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter ahead of Thursday night's matchup.

"Extremely. Extremely (disruptive)," Koetter testified on Tuesday. "Our scouting department scouts teams a couple of weeks in advance, and they told me that he was on the same level as J.J. Watt. And I thought to myself, 'Wow! That's hard to believe.'

"When it came my time to watch the tape, I said, 'Oh, wow! He's on the same level as J.J. Watt!' I mean, this guy's having a fantastic year, definitely a game-wrecker for this game."

Watt is the gold standard, threatening to join the pantheon of gridiron giants before his 27th birthday. Should we attribute Koetter's claim to hyperbole -- or even worse, to pre-game flattery?

It's worth noting that Koetter isn't alone in his high regard for the 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year:

Those metrics were tabulated before Donald smashed through the Detroit Lions' offensive line for three sacks, six quarterback hits and three more tackles for loss in a dominant Week 14 performance that had NFL Media analyst Brian Baldinger shaking his head in wonderment.

"I don't know that there's any pass rusher in the league right now that has a greater arsenal of moves than Aaron Donald," Baldinger raved on Tuesday's edition of Around The NFL. "He has a counter to a counter to a counter. But in order to rush the passer, you have to earn that right. That means you gotta stuff the run. This is a complete player now."

Donald leads all defensive tackles with 11 sacks, while ranking with Baltimore's Brandon Williams and Minnesota's Linval Joseph as the most disruptive interior run stuffers.

With 2.5 more quarterback takedowns in his final three games, Donald would bypass five-time All Pro Kevin Williams for the most through two seasons by any defensive tackle since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

The former Pitt star entered the NFL with an understanding of how to defeat behemoth interior linemen via a unique combination of quickness, leverage and strength that mirrored Cincinnati Bengals star Geno Atkins.

While Atkins is a transcendent talent in his own right, what separates Donald is unparalleled speed off the snap. That quickness is enhanced by a swashbuckler's strong but dexterous hands, a relentless array of moves and the ferocious...
                    -12-16-2015, 10:51 AM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Man Child: Aaron Donald Started Early To become The NFL's Best D-Tackle
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Man child: Aaron Donald started early to become the NFL's best D-tackle

Elizabeth Merrill, ESPN Senior Writer

In 1991, a young father from Pittsburgh bought a set of weights from a retiring powerlifter. Archie Donald paid $1,300 for the whole lot and spread it out on the floor of his basement. He instructed his little boys, Aaron and Archie, to sit on the steps and watch him lift. "I wanted them to be exceptional," Archie Donald said. "I wanted them to be alpha males." Aaron was so small at this time that he was wearing Pampers. But the toddler watched, mostly with a blank face, then messed around in the basement like little kids do.

Nine years passed, and Aaron Donald looked less than exceptional. He was chubby, kept to himself and was not particularly diligent about his chores, which consisted of sweeping the steps and taking out the garbage. One day, his dad came home and noticed his youngest son was out riding his bike while his chores remained unfinished. Archie was about to scold him, but then Aaron winced in fear.

The elder Donald never wanted his kids to be afraid of him, so he decided on a different approach. Come Monday, he told him, Aaron was going to start lifting weights with him in the basement, before school, at 4:30 in the morning. If Aaron saw some results in his work, Archie figured, maybe he'd keep going. A little bit of time passed, and Archie started hearing a knock on his door at 4 in the morning. It was Aaron waking him up.

"I went from pushing him to him pushing me," Archie said.

"You see how the tides roll?"

He is a baby-faced He-Man now, stronger than a father could dream, and in just his second season in St. Louis, Aaron Donald has evolved into, arguably, the NFL's most dominating defensive lineman not named J.J. Watt, though some already have him on par with Watt. Donald's speed is scaring the bejesus out of opposing offensive coordinators, but the more frightening notion is being an offensive lineman and winding up on one of those Donald "Did you see that?" videos on YouTube. His head coach, Jeff Fisher, thinks so highly of him that he is comparing him to Reggie White.

Donald plays a position that is often overlooked on a play-to-play basis, but new forms of analysis help. Pro Football Focus, for instance, a site that grades NFL players on every play, sees a superstar. According to its analysis, Donald isn't just the highest-graded defensive lineman in the league for the first four weeks of the season, outperforming Watt. He's grading higher than any defensive tackle in the past eight years.

Pro Football Focus isn't alone.

"I don't know analytics like that," Rams' defensive end Chris Long said, "I just think if you turn on tape, that's possible. J.J.'s a once-in-a-lifetime player, and we look at J.J. on film...
                    -10-08-2015, 09:08 AM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Grantland: Aaron Donald Was 'Most Impressive' Player In Week 1
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Grantland: Aaron Donald was 'most impressive' player in Week 1

FOX Sports
                    Sep 15, 2015 at 3:54p ET

Aaron Donald's start to 2015 went about as expected.

Facing an inexperienced Seahawks offensive line, Donald, along with the rest of the Rams defensive front did as they pleased.

Grantland's Bill Barnwell examined Week 1 as a whole, and heaped praise on last year's Defensive Rookie of the Year: "Aaron Donald was, bar none, the most impressive player I saw on any field in Week 1."

That's an accurate statement considering what Donald did on the field.

The second-year player recorded nine tackles, including three for loss, two sacks and three quarterback hits.

In short, he was a one-man wrecking crew.
                    -09-15-2015, 01:12 PM
                  • demiurge
                    Aaron Donald gets his first NFL sack!
                    by demiurge
                    Yep, the NFL realized their mistake an awarded Aaron Donald a sack against the Buccaneers.

A Nick Wagoner tweet:

Per @ccpearce, NFL reviewed sack from last week originally credited to Sims/Gaines and changed it to credit DT Aaron Donald. First for him.
                    11:03 AM - 18 Sep 2014

Hopefully the first of many to come!
                    -09-19-2014, 07:17 PM
                  Working...
                  X