X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Rams wrapped up offseason program Thursday

Rams wrapped up offseason program Thursday
    Posted by Charean Williams on June 11, 2020, 8:47 PM EDT

The Rams will next see their players — virtually or otherwise — for training camp. The team ended its virtual offseason program Thursday.

The Rams could have continued for another two weeks, but coach Sean McVay said they had accomplished everything they needed to since beginning April 20.

“A lot of good stuff we got accomplished,” McVay said during a video conference with local media, via Stu Jackson of the team website.

The Rams tentatively have scheduled rookies to report to training camp July 23 with veterans following July 28. The NFL and NFLPA still have to reach agreement on the dates.

Quarterback Jared Goff has organized throwing and 7-on-7 sessions with receiver Robert Woods, running backs Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson and tight end Brycen Hopkins among the participants.

“I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback,” McVay said. “The most important thing that’s as beneficial as anything, is the guys are getting together and connecting as teammates. Getting to know one another, establishing a rapport, making sure they’re being smart with how they compete.”

Well wonder how they are going to do training camp over social distancing and wearing masks.
    Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Originally posted by JPPT1974 View Post
      Well wonder how they are going to do training camp over social distancing and wearing masks.

Well, we meet part of those requirements. Football helmets already have masks!

(^_^)

Comment

Well, I guess the sideline coordinators won't have to hold those sheets of paper over their faces when they are sending calls on the headsets.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ram3057
          Rams announce April 10 as start of offseason workouts
          by ram3057
          By Rich Hammond, [email protected],, @Hammond_OCR on Twitter

POSTED: 04/03/17, 12:17 PM PDT |

The Rams’ new coaching staff and players officially will get to work April 10, when the team’s offseason program begins at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks.

The optional program begins with two weeks of off-field conditioning work, and then players will get on the field May 1 for three weeks of individual-skills work, but no full-team practices.

A third phase includes 10 full-team practices that will be staggered between May 23-June 8.

The Rams also will hold a voluntary minicamp from April 25-27, a rookie minicamp in early May and a mandatory minicamp from June 13-15. New Coach Sean McVay exercised his right to have a mandatory minicamp, something previous coach Jeff Fisher did not require.

The Rams again will hold the first part of their training camp at UC Irvine, with sessions expected to begin in late July....
          -04-03-2017, 03:11 PM
        • Nick
          Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
          by Nick
          Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
          By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
          PUBLISHED: April 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm | UPDATED: April 10, 2017 at 4:34 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — It’s a tradition on almost every team. Show up to camp, collect your T-shirt with the catchy, coach-speak slogan on the back and attempt to minimize the eye-rolling.

The intensity in new coach Sean McVay’s eyes and voice, though, made it impossible to scoff at the “We Not Me” message that Rams players, coaches and staff members wore on blue, cotton tees Monday as the team opened the first phase of its two-month offseason workout program at Cal Lutheran.

“Everyone was at full attention,” McVay said. “Guys were locked in. They were engaged. They were ready to go. I think it was definitely the way we wanted it to come off, as a coaching staff. Right now, it’s about building relationships with these guys.”

It’s time for a culture change. Previous coach Jeff Fisher largely took a laissez-faire attitude that basically told players to have fun and be loose, as long as they prepared and came ready to play on Sunday. That level of trust made Fisher popular among players, but it also produced a 31-45-1 record from 2012-16.

It’s far too early to fete McVay, the youngest coach in NFL history when the Rams hired him in January, but one thing is already clear: McVay is no Fisher. McVay’s body language suggests perpetual intensity, and that seemed to come across to players during their first formal meeting with McVay on Monday.

“I think there’s some really good, new energy here,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “Coach McVay and the rest of his staff have done a great job exuding that energy and really letting us feel it. I think it’s really a fresh start for a lot of people. I think it’s a really good feeling. Just freshness is the best way to describe it.”

There’s plenty of work ahead. This phase of offseason work, which will continue for two weeks, will focus mostly on off-field strength and conditioning. Per NFL rules, practice-like simulations aren’t allowed until next month, but Monday represented an important moment for McVay and the Rams.

For the first time, McVay could transition from handshakes and salutations to football talk. He could distribute playbooks and talk about offensive and defensive systems and possible position changes.

Most of all, he could make a good first impression on the players, and vice versa. That seems to have been a success. These offseason workouts are optional, but McVay said all players attended Monday, just more than three months after they completed a dismal 4-12 season.

“Everybody came with a fresh start, a different mindset,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “We left with a real bad taste in our mouths last year; a horrible taste. I’m pretty sure everybody is ready,...
          -04-10-2017, 05:22 PM
        • Nick
          Jared Goff on Rams offense: 'I've understood all of it and grasped all of it so far'
          by Nick
          Jared Goff on Rams offense: 'I've understood all of it and grasped all of it so far'
          9:19 AM ET
          Alden Gonzalez
          ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Sean McVay had canceled Thursday's final minicamp practice and still woke up at 4 in the morning that day.

The offseason program is over, but the Los Angeles Rams' rookie coach is finding it difficult to unplug. So, he'll force himself to. Before the team reconvenes for training camp in late July -- rookies report July 26, veterans follow July 28 -- McVay will do some traveling. He'll go to Cabo San Lucas on a family trip, spend some time in Europe with his girlfriend, and do his best to temporarily take his mind off his first season as the NFL's youngest head coach.

"I think it’s important to try to kind of just get refreshed, recharged; take better care of myself," McVay said. "I’m a little bit heavier than I’d like to be right now."

McVay called his first offseason program "a great learning experience," a description he may use for every stage this calendar year. Phase 1, McVay said, was about establishing an identity and having his players learn the system. Phase 2 was about improving techniques and mastering the system. Phase 3 was about coming together as a team.

"And the nice thing about it is we feel like we were able to accomplish that," McVay said from the team facility on Thursday. "By no means are we where we need to be for what we’re striving to accomplish, but I think in terms of what we were trying to get done in the offseason program, we felt like it was a successful offseason program."

Below are five key takeaways from that program.

Jared Goff is a quick study: Goff recently asked McVay how much of his offense has been installed, and McVay told him about 95 percent. "If that’s what we have in," Goff said, "I’d say I’ve understood all of it and grasped all of it so far." Goff added that he has learned this year's offense "much quicker" than he learned last year's, which he attributed to spending an entire season in the NFL and then having a full offseason to prepare. Goff, who is 22 and coming off a catastrophic rookie year, made several nice, downfield throws during 11-on-11 drills. But that was without pads or contact. It's extremely difficult to truly evaluate in a setting like that. What's important is that teammates notice more confidence, more leadership, more conviction in Goff. And that he is seemingly picking up the playbook quickly. The rest will sort itself out later.

Pass-catching group defining itself: It's hard to forecast exactly how the targets will be dispersed because one of the Rams' primary receivers, Tavon Austin, spent the offseason program recovering from wrist surgery. But aside from Robert Woods, the Rams' other primary receiver, it was Cooper Kupp,...
          -06-19-2017, 06:55 AM
        • Nick
          Official 2018 Rams Training Camp Reports
          by Nick
          Practice Report 7/26: McVay Focused on Establishing Culture
          Clarence Dennis
          STAFF WRITER

The 2018 Los Angeles Rams opened the first practice of training camp at 3 p.m. sharp on Thursday. The University of California Irvine practice field was lined with Rams fans and media members excited for the first look at the reigning NFC West Champions and many of the new numbers in blue and white.

GOALS FOR CAMP

Second-year head coach Sean McVay was equally eager to get football underway with his brand-new cast of Rams. Following practice, McVay had positive things to say about his group, applauding his team’s overall attitude entering Day 1.

“I think you just like getting back out here with the guys again and the way that they competed. There are things that we can certainly clean up, but I think it was a step in the right direction,” McVay said. “Until we go back to look at the tape, it’s hard to know [what he liked most] exactly, but I thought guys were competing hard and there’s a lot of energy and enthusiasm out here.

”Still a few days before practices in pads, McVay stressed the importance of his group jelling. The Rams return 10 of 11 starters on offense and welcome a handful of newbies on defense. Although early practices are neither full-contact nor padded, McVay believes his team can make strides.

“The biggest thing that we’re looking to do is establish our culture, establish what we identify as our football philosophy, and just most importantly, come together as a team. Those things will always remain the same and if we are able to do those things one day at a time, we feel like good things will happen for us,” McVay said.

NEW TEAMMATES SHARE APPRECIATION

Veteran cornerback Aqib Talib participated in his first practice as an L.A. Ram on Thursday, rejoining his former defensive coordinator Wade Phillips on the practice field. Talib, who broke up a Goff pass today, aligned with his new head coach on how he believed practice went.

“I think it went good — it went well — energy was good — that’s important on the first day — you got to come out with a lot of energy, a lot of enthusiasm and that was definitely there,” Talib said.

The 32-year-old Super Bowl 50 Champion was complimentary about his new teammate, quarterback Jared Goff — specifically of Goff’s mental strength.

“Confident guy, man,” Talib said of Goff. “You can see his confidence is rising through the roof with coach Sean [McVay]."

Talib also commented on Goff’s arm.

“Super accurate deep-balls man — he throws deep-balls and it lands in the perfect spot. That’s huge in the NFL. A lot of guys can’t throw deep balls, so you find a guy who is super accurate with those deep-balls, you stretch the defense…” Talib said.

Goff returned praise, calling Talib a “ball-hawk” following his first training camp...
          -07-27-2018, 08:15 AM
        • Nick
          McVay Encouraged by First Rookie Minicamp Practice
          by Nick
          McVay Encouraged by First Rookie Minicamp Practice
          Posted 16 hours ago
          Myles Simmons
          Rams Insider
          @MylesASimmons

After arriving to the Rams’ facility in waves over the course of Thursday afternoon, Los Angeles’ draftees, college free agents, and tryout players were on the field for the first of three rookie minicamp practices.

Los Angeles has 50 individuals listed for its two-day camp, including 19 rookie and four veteran tryout players. They’ll all go through the process of meetings and workouts, getting acclimated to life in the NFL.

Friday morning, the Rams were on the field form about 10:30 to noon, going through individual position drills and some 7-on-7 group work before wrapping up. They’ll be back on the field for a second practice on Friday before their final practice at about noon on Saturday.

“For the first workout, very encouraged,” head coach Sean McVay said. “Love the effort, love the energy that we had. And we expect to see the same thing this afternoon.”

McVay said the club is mainly evaluating movement and players’ ability to compete in this short camp. The coaches don’t want to give the players too much to digest from the playbook, because it would likely hinder them in displaying their talents.

“We just want to see their ability to be able to say OK, I’m going to go out, compete, run routes, get into coverage positions, work some of the fundamentals and techniques,” McVay said. “That’s kind of the intent and the goal of this weekend, as far as our evaluation is concerned.”

However, McVay said the players will likely do more from an Xs and Os standpoint in the following weekend sessions.

“Right now, we’re in the very early stages of what they’ll do with our offensive and defensive schemes, just running a couple of plays on offense and running a couple coverages and fronts on defense,” McVay said. “We’ve got to be smart with some of our numbers that we have see how much team competition we can do this afternoon, we’ll be ready to adjust that. But it’s exclusive to really an hour and a half of meetings this morning with what they’ve been exposed to.”

From a player perspective, tight end Gerald Everett and wide receiver Cooper Kupp said it’s sometimes difficult to set aside the mental aspects of the game and just compete — particularly when you’re making a first impression.

“You don’t want to mess up. You want to move 100 miles an hour and do the right things every play,” Everett said. “But it happens, especially being in rookie minicamp and the first day out here. So I think I had a couple errors, but not too many for my first day. Tomorrow I’ll be better.”

“For me, I want to know what’s the guy next to me got? What’s the back doing? Because that gives me a better idea of what I’m going to see defensively and be able to make my route adjustments off of that,” Kupp said....
          -05-13-2017, 06:21 AM
        Working...
        X