Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McVay Not In Favor Of The Season Starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McVay Not In Favor Of The Season Starting?

He apparently said this on "Hard Knocks". I don't know what the context is or when he actually said it, but he clearly mentions social distancing, and then not understanding why we're going to play football.

Gary Klein@LATimesklein
    Sean McVay: “Is this crazy coach Lynn? We’re talking about some of this stuff and we’re playing football. I mean we’re going to social distance but we play football? Hey, this is really hard for me to understand all this. I don’t want to be …. I don’t get it. I really don’t.”
    11:04 AM - Jun 18, 2020

I think he's referring to the hypocrisy of some things being OK in physical distancing and other things being denied. At least that's the way I interpret the conversation that s being quoted.

gap

Comment

I think it’s an honest moment and something many of us feel beyond wishful thinking and denial. While everyone else goes back to strict guidelines due to a lack of cooperation and the freedom to infect others, the NFL goes full contact with 106 men spewing snot, spit and sweat all over each other for 3 hours every Sunday and then hit the showers? That doesn’t even include practices and meetings in a full blow pandemic. He doesn’t get how this works. I don’t get it either.

Comment

This might put things into a better context as to what McVay is confused about. I must admit, I share his confusion:

The NFL has released protocols approved by the NFLPA that players will have to abide by when they return to training facilities for the 2020 season. Among one of the most difficult, yet necessary rules that players will have to follow is standing six feet away from one another at all times — including in the locker rooms.
        So the players will have to stand six feet apart at all times when at facilities, but then get on the field and play football which pretty much negates all the protocols mandated during the week? I'm wondering if at halftime, players will have to stay six feet apart from each other in the locker room, then a few minutes later, engage in close, full contact.

Then there is this:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, expressed his concerns Wednesday that the NFL season won’t happen unless the league takes a similar approach to the NBA’s plan to keep players in a “bubble.”
        A "bubble" - insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day.

Did the NFLPA approve this? Do they get to go home, or are they quarantined? Do they get to see their families? Are there fans in the seats? What a huge mess.

Comment

I have pretty much written off sports for this year.......
          Last edited by macrammer; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MACrammer View Post
            I have pretty much written off sports for this year.......

Perhaps, perhaps. You may be absolutely right!

Right now there's just TOO MUCH GOING ON about conditional 'reopening phases', etc.

Living in "UNCERTAIN TIMES" applies in more than one way. Big time.

Indeed, patience is not always a virtue.

Comment

Let's be honest here: It is ridiculous to think team sports can come back safely until we have proven treatments for this virus. Period. The rest is wishful thinking. I want sports to come back as badly as anyone, but until this happens, there are going to be major limitations on covering the games, attending the games and playing the games if they're held at all.

We can forget about the notions of the virus "going away", "herd immunity" or any number of other nonsensical proclamations thrown out there by idiot politicians pandering to their constituents. Spikes are occurring in Florida, Texas, Arizona and several other states that opened early and downplayed this virus. 23 Clemson football players just tested positive for COVID. The Phillies just had 6 players/employees test positive, necessitating a temporary shutdown of its training facility.

As is usually the case, there is a tug-o-war going on between people who value money and entertainment over public health. And although our hunger for sports prevents us from considering it, an argument could be made that sports should be shut down for the remainder of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                Let's be honest here: It is ridiculous to think team sports can come back safely until we have proven treatments for this virus. Period. The rest is wishful thinking.

Woah, woah ... Not so fast NJ. Hey, it's not that clear-cut here.
                Keep in mind the NFL might just come up with a plan to work through this 2020 Regular Season ... wait for it, wait for it ... "virtually".

As I mentioned elsewhere, coaches, players, reporters (etc.) can always work from home during games. (^_^)

Or even play at stadiums while observing 6 feet physical distancing during games -- that would really widen OL/DLs!

So, we may have a full NFL schedule yet. (^_^)

Last edited by RealRam; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Format

Comment

[QUOTE=NJ Ramsfan1;n833153
                  As is usually the case, there is a tug-o-war going on between people who value money and entertainment over public health.[/QUOTE]

You touch on the key issue as I see it, money. The owners will push as hard as possible, behind the scenes, for the season to take place. With no fans in attendance they will be desperate to have the TV/online revenue stream going. As I learned a while back whether the season happens or not the players will be entitled to their guaranteed portions of money in their contracts. I do not know if this has been a negotiable matter with the NFLPA.

The hurdle to this matter may become how certain states react to the possibility of football being played. California & New York/New Jersey may take a diametrically opposite position to Texas and Florida. Let us also not overlook that there is tax revenue for the states that players & owners will be paying and some states such as California are staring at huge budget deficits given the amount of unemployment insurance being paid out.

What a tangled web it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MDE8352gorams View Post
                    ...Whether the season happens or not the players will be entitled to their guaranteed portions of money in their contracts. I do not know if this has been a negotiable matter with the NFLPA.

The hurdle to this matter may become how certain states react to the possibility of football being played. California & New York/New Jersey may take a diametrically opposite position to Texas and Florida. Let us also not overlook that there is tax revenue for the states that players & owners will be paying and some states such as California are staring at huge budget deficits given the amount of unemployment insurance being paid out.

What a tangled web it is.

Right-on MDE. Indeed the current state of affairs, 2020 NFL season or not.

A WOW YEAR.
                    Last edited by RealRam; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Tyop

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                      We can forget about the notions of the virus "going away", "herd immunity" or any number of other nonsensical proclamations thrown out there by idiot politicians pandering to their constituents. Spikes are occurring in Florida, Texas, Arizona and several other states that opened early and downplayed this virus. 23 Clemson football players just tested positive for COVID. The Phillies just had 6 players/employees test positive, necessitating a temporary shutdown of its training facility.
                      Actually, the protests, riots, and looting have a MUCH closer match to the current spikes that re-opening. Re-openings are a couple-few weeks longer than the standard 14 day incubation period.

That said, I agree that it is unlikely that the season could be held with the current distancing rules/concerns.

gap

Comment

Here's a thought - every team nominates a player each week to represent them on Madden as they face off against their regularly scheduled opponent's representative, and we all tune in to watch that online matchup!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                          Here's a thought - every team nominates a player each week to represent them on Madden as they face off against their regularly scheduled opponent's representative, and we all tune in to watch that online matchup!
                          Not out of the realm of possibility. Both NASCAR and Indycar had iracing, where many of the top drivers competed in virtual racing events that were shown on Fox and NBC. The virtual action even spilled into real life between the drivers.

I'd hate to see the NFL season come to that, but I'd also hate to see the players health and well being put in jeopardy. It's all just a messed up situation.

Comment

It looks like the NFL won't put players in a bubble, but will rely on testing and contact tracing. From the NFL Chief Medical Officer:

"We do not feel it's practical or appropriate to construct a bubble," Sills said, via Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network. "Anyone who tests positive will be isolated until medically appropriate to return."
                            If things stay as they are, I just don't see how this works and the season starts.

Comment

I fail to grasp the concept of "contact tracing". Using myself as an example, with my typical daily schedule, it's conceivable I could be around 75-100 people on a given day. More than half of them are strangers from the supermarket, convenience store, local park, beach, etc. whose names I don't know and whom I'll never see again. How in the world would somebody POSSIBLY contact trace these individuals if i get COVID?

Again- it all comes back to treatments or a cure.

Comment