Why should they play, after all.....Tribute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should they play, after all.....Tribute

Will they play games this season? That's the hot question and everyone wants to know the answer. We all have our opinions as to whether or not they should play. Basically, for a professional athlete, to play in a game is their job. They are still being paid, and as far as I know, they will be paid whether they go to work or not.

So, why should they go to work, after all...

They are not Health Care Workers

They are not Police Officers

They are not Firefighters

They are not Military

They are not National Guard

They are not Janitorial Workers

They are not Sanitation Workers

They are not Water Treatment Workers

They are not Utility Workers

They are not Food Industry Workers

They are not Agriculture Workers

They are not Manufacturing Workers

They are not Construction Workers

They are not Truck Drivers

They are not USPS Workers

They are not UPS, FedEx or any other Delivery Workers

They are just professional athletes. Arguably the most healthy and physically fit people in this country. Collectively they earn Billions of dollars.

So, why should they go to work, after all...

They are not HEROES !!

Thank You to all the Men and Women that worked diligently through the entire coronavirus crisis !!
    We Love You and God Bless You.

P.S. I know I left out many other Heroes. Please feel free to add them, or anyone else special to you during this crisis.
    Last edited by Curly Horns; 2 weeks ago.

This pandemic has only reaffirmed what many of us already know: Our society is entirely beholden to money. We've been in this crisis for 3 months...3 MONTHS- and already businesses are going belly up and schools are cutting athletic programs. World War II went on for nearly 6 YEARS. I shudder to think about what our ill-prepared, self-indulgent society would face in those grim circumstances. Owning a business and not having sufficient reserves is a recipe for disaster. Having college football fund your entire remaining athletic department is likewise an awful business model which guarantees disaster. We are currently ill-equipped to mitigate the financial damage being done in many areas due to COVID. It speaks poorly of our reliance on the almighty dollar.

Like other businesses, sports have been totally corrupted by money, and it's the primary reason we're even having a conversation about a return to play. Why else would the NBA be continuing to consider a return to play in Orlando, of all places, a top hot spot in the nation? A league where league MINIMUM is nearly $900,000? Or this proposed joke of an upcoming baseball season? I said in a previous thread that an argument could be made that no sports should continue until we have a cure or a proven treatment for this virus. It is undoubtedly an unpopular stance but I feel a valid position for one to take. I am a lifelong athlete and avid sports fan whose life and career have been defined by athletics, so I don't make that statement easily.

As of right now, I fail to see how the NFL is going to present a solid on field product with limited risk to player health.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
      I said in a previous thread that an argument could be made that no sports should continue until we have a cure or a proven treatment for this virus.
      I think you're right, especially if the season starts and there are numerous cases of the virus in players and fans that pop up. I just don't see how the season gets completed, let alone starts. The NBA has been testing, and as of today, 16 players have tested positive, and those players have obviously had close interaction with countless other players and team personnel, so who knows how far reaching things will get. Sports in 2020 is definitely a precarious thing.

Comment

The sad truth about what you speak of NJ is that its not simply the players but its also the stadium workers and other non-football related jobs that are impacted. There will be an impact even if there is a season with empty stands. I agree with you that there probably shouldn't be a season without proven therapeutics or a vaccine. It is shameful that the United States is lagging the rest of the world in virus containment. Drop mic.

Comment

To clarify, if the NFL has games and the players dont play, they won't get paid. Thus, it is a personal choice for each player. They have short careers. Will they get a lost season of income on the back end of their careers? Some will and some won't. Thus, while i agree they are not heroes, i think each person makes their own risk evaluation based on their own personal situations and nfl players are no different.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
            To clarify, if the NFL has games and the players dont play, they won't get paid. Thus, it is a personal choice for each player. They have short careers. Will they get a lost season of income on the back end of their careers? Some will and some won't. Thus, while i agree they are not heroes, i think each person makes their own risk evaluation based on their own personal situations and nfl players are no different.
            Very true, but I think that decision is going to be made for them. The NBA is the test case, and it's looking bad. There have now been dozens of players testing positive for Covid, despite supposedly being in a quarantined "bubble". The commissioner is already talking about possibly cancelling the season if the trend continues. NFL players and personnel will not be in a bubble, and there are many, many more of them. Again, I don't see how the NFL can sustain a season given the current situation, a situation that is only getting worse by the day.

Comment

The Ivy League announced today they are cancelling all fall sports for the 2020 season. A different situation to be sure, but could this be the first domino to fall??

Comment

As i stated earlier, This season will not come to fruition IMO. But who really knows? For me, i am out given the political climate melding into sports world. What once was a great diversion from life's craziness has turned into just a new kind of craziness

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
                  Interesting perspective on why injuries seem to be more widespread these days?
                  by RamsInfiniti
                  Hey all. I am stuck in Utah on business, so I've had some time to just sit around and ponder. Me and a buddy were sitting around talking football last night, and got into a dicussion about why there seems to be so many injuries around the league these days. Thinking about it, injuries really do seem to be more prominent than ever. I see player after player going down in training camp and in preseason, and it's really startling. I thought back over the years, and really couldn't remember this happening in the 90's ...

So, what is the cause for the increase of serious injuries? Well, I came across an article actually concerning pro wrestling. This guys, of course, are pumped up on steroids, and train every day to look as good as they can. It's a part of the business: they need to look good to be a star since it is essentially a soap opera. However, the stronger and more ripped they get, the tighter and shorter their muscles get, and you see many injuries to pro wrestlers like torn quads and triceps, biceps, and pec muscles. They overtrain and become so stiff that they no longer have the range of motion they did before ...

So, what does this have to do with football? It's the same concept. Today's athletes feel they have to train, train, and train more to get their combine type skill numbers to insane levels. They want to have 3% body fat, and be faster than a rocket. Do these things equate to a football player being successful? Absolutely not. Football is the consummate team game. You have to be smart to play this sport. Sometimes, the greatest professionals are not the greatest athletes, look at Joe Montana and Jerry Rice for instance ...

Ultimately, I think the evolution of free agency has contributed to this. Player's always feel they need to get the edge on another guy to get the money they want. They train so hard, even obsessively, to the thing to where they are no longer athletes, they are rock hard machines. However, becoming rock hard can sometimes make you fragile. These guys work out all summer long, get ripped, come into camp, put on pads, make the work move, and blow a knee or pop a hamstring, because they haven't been training for football: they have been training to look like Mr. Olympia. They say image is everything ...

Think about the 70s, 80, and even 90s. Player's back then didn't look like they did today. They were stout and big and strong, but not ripped like bodybuilders. Today, athletes have so many supplements to help them get stronger and faster. This makes their bodies dependent on chemicals and they become machines, machines enclosed with ticking time bombs. Maybe I am just getting old, but I never remembered players looking like total freaks, at least not from a physical standpoint, in the 80s and 90s. Nor do I remember them dropping like flies due to injuries. Really, it was commonplace back then for players to come to camp completely out shape. They would work their...
                  -08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
                • RebelYell
                  I hate to say it but.....
                  by RebelYell
                  These Rams can go against any team in the NFL and be seriously competitive and if they play their game, they can win. It's been a while since that was true.

It's a nice feeling.

-10-17-2010, 05:58 PM
                • AvengerRam
                  Is Waufle awful... or is it me?
                  by AvengerRam
                  When I watch Hard Knocks, I cringe every time that Mike Waufle is featured. They guy comes across as a foul-mouthed, borderline abusive, wanna-be drill sergeant. He alone gives the show its TV-MA rating.

As a 48 year old who has spent his adult life working in professional offices, I don't get this method of motivating people. I would never use such a method, and if it were ever used with me, my only reaction would be to update my resume and start looking for a new job.

That said... I'm not sure I'm qualified to evaluate whether this method might be effective. I've never played organized football, and I certainly don't claim know what makes 20something professional athletes tick. Perhaps Waufle's fear/intimidation approach is what these guys need after growing up on a pedestal. Perhaps the biggest impediment to success on the field is complacency, and Waufle's method is on point.

Ultimately, as a fan, I'd have to say that this part of Hard Knocks does not resonate with me. I like having insight into the team's preparations, but maybe this is too "inside" for my taste. I'd liken it to a Food Network show displaying the slaughtering of a cow in addition to the cooking of the steak.

I'm curious how others react to this part of the show. Maybe I'm on an island on this one. Maybe not....
                  -08-24-2016, 08:06 AM
                • psycho9985
                  What the heck is going on?
                  by psycho9985
                  Maybe it's all the TV we're watching, or maybe it's our sugar-loaded diets that do it, or perhaps there's something in the water (besides killer fluoride) that's turning us all into dimwits. Whatever the reason, though - all kidding aside, it's probably a combination of the boob tube and declining education standards - there's no better indication of just how dumb we are than the warning labels found on consumer goods.

Here are a few of the more priceless examples, as gathered from a couple of different sources on the Internet. Some of these would be hilarious if they weren't so disturbing...
                  • "For external use only." -- On a curling iron.
                  • "Do not use in shower." -- On a hair dryer.
                  • "Do not drive with sunshield in place." -- On a windshield-covering dashboard sunshield.
                  • "Do not eat toner." -- On a toner cartridge for a laser printer.
                  • "May irritate eyes." -- On a can of self-defense pepper spray.
                  • "Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth." -- On a novelty rock garden set.
                  • "Do not use orally." -- On a toilet bowl cleaning brush.
                  • "Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave oven.
                  • "Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a portable stroller.
                  • "Do not iron clothes on body." -- On packaging for an iron.
                  • "Wearing this garment does not enable you to fly." -- On a kid-sized Superman costume.
                  • "May be harmful if swallowed." -- On a hammer.
                  • "Do not attempt to stop the blade with your hand." -- In the manual for a chainsaw.
                  • "Do not use orally after using rectally." -- In the instructions for an electric thermometer.
                  • "Not to be used as a personal flotation device." -- On a 6" x 10" inflatable picture frame.
                  • "Do not put in mouth." -- On a box of bottle rockets.
                  • "Do not use as an ice cream topping." - On a bottle of hair coloring agent.
                  Funny, huh? But does this mean someone actually stuck a curling iron where the sun doesn't shine? Or tried to use hair coloring as ice cream topping? Or folded up their baby in the stroller? Or thought their superhero costume granted them the power of flight? Sadly, it probably does.

These warnings paint the sad picture of two distressing trends in America: First, and already mentioned, is our steady migration toward a condition of intellectual vapidity. Second is our growing tendency to sue others for our own stupidity. That's the fundamental reason these labels exist - to keep people from being able to cash in on their lack of common sense.

This underscores an even greater problem that's contributing to the deterioration of the America we know: The tendency of our court system to hold the individual blameless, no matter how asinine his or her conduct. Nowadays, it's the product's fault for not having a warning against every irrational or ridiculous...
                  -09-10-2005, 05:08 PM
                • RamWraith
                  I hate to say this
                  by RamWraith
                  But...

If you are looking to make a wager on a good thing, the Minnesota Vikings look for real this year. I would never say this to any of my local friends here, but they sure seem to have that "special swagger" about them that I so remember from the 1999 Rams team. If you pick up the local papers you will read a lot of things that one has never read in the past with this team. Things I remember reading about the Rams. It's almost the feeling of having fun. You can sense that this team is on the same page. The feeling that is so hard to describe but remembered so well. You can almost sense the troops feeding off each other.

I am not trying to be a cheerleader. Or give any props to one of my most hated teams in the NFL, but to be honest they are going to give any opponent everything they can handle and would not be shocked to see this as their year.
                  -08-19-2004, 06:44 AM
                Working...
                X