Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Analyzing the Rams’ offensive line — Better the second time around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analyzing the Rams’ offensive line — Better the second time around?

Analyzing the Rams’ offensive line — Better the second time around?
    By Jourdan Rodrigue and Rich Hammond
    2h ago 1

Here they are again.

A year ago, the Rams — having jettisoned veterans Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan — went into the season hoping a new-look offensive line could come together. It did … halfway through the season, and only after a lot of instability, poor play and injuries. Somehow, by the end of the season, the Rams found a five-man unit that worked, albeit not soon enough to secure a playoff spot.

So while many fans clamored for a big-swing offseason, with a lot of changes to the line, the Rams stayed quiet and confident. They enter 2020 essentially with the same unit that ended 2019, plus three linemen — Rob Havenstein, Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen — who suffered season-ending injuries. Quantity is not a problem with this Rams line, but what about quality?

First, let’s look at the pool of available linemen.

Projected Rams tackle depth chart
    Andrew Whitworth
    Rob Havenstein
    Bobby Evans
    Chandler Brewer

Projected Rams guard depth chart
    Joe Noteboom
    David Edwards
    Austin Corbett
    Jamil Demby
    Tremayne Anchrum
    Cohl Cabral
    Jeremiah Kolone

Projected Rams center depth chart
    Austin Blythe
    Brian Allen
    Coleman Shelton
    Nate Trewyn
    Rich Hammond: A year ago, I predicted on our podcast that the offensive line would be the single biggest determining factor in the Rams’ success or failure in 2019. I also feared they were taking too many risks with the construction of the line and with incorporating inexperienced players. Now, I’m not patting myself on the back here. … Just kidding, I’m totally patting myself on the back here. Because that’s how it worked out during the first half of the season.

So, going into 2020, do you think there’s still some instability here, or are the Rams in good shape on the O-line?

Jourdan Rodrigue: Ha! If there is one thing I remember about following your work before the draft and free agency, it’s that you were totally right about the offensive line. Go ahead, take a victory lap (and don’t forget to wear a mask). We’ll allow it.

I do think there is still some instability, and I say that because this is still a line that has to find its rhythm. Veteran linemen will talk about “wordless communication” and “moving like a fist,” meaning each “finger” has its own job, but the fist as a whole is in sync. You see that from the really great offensive lines in history. And in some cases, it starts at center — while in others, it starts at left tackle. Luckily for the Rams, they have Andrew Whitworth back.

Hammond: OK, I’m back from the victory lap. That’s the most exercise I’ve had since early March.

We have the same concern about this line. I think, position by position, the talent is there. Young linemen like Evans, Edwards and Blythe (after his move to center) stepped up, and with Havenstein, Noteboom and Allen coming back from injuries, the Rams have great depth. The problem is: When will chemistry be developed? The OTAs in May and June always present the best opportunity for that. Now, in a best-case scenario, players will be coming in cold in late July. And the Rams still have some things to sort out. Who starts at right tackle and at the guard spots? They aren’t going to have much time to figure that out.

Rodrigue: I wonder if we see the Rams try again with Havenstein at right tackle, insinuating that if he’s not there full-time in 2020, it was his position to lose. Havenstein also has a pretty substantial cap hit this year (about $8.4 million), and there’s nothing worse for a general manager than a guy with a big cap hit not panning out for you early in the extension and essentially paying him to ride the bench.

Plus, Sean McVay reiterated this spring that Havenstein was working through some injuries last season that in part contributed to his poor play. And if Havenstein works out at right tackle, that might mean seeing Evans at guard — something else McVay alluded to when he spoke with us in the spring.

And that, of course, means the real competition for us to watch is … on the inside.

(Did you catch how dramatic that last line was? Imagine me whipping off a pair of glasses and staring at the camera with a super cliff-hanger-y voice.)

Hammond: It took my breath away!

Rams fans, in large numbers, soured on Havenstein early last season, but I’d encourage them not to be shortsighted. I do think there was an injury issue going on. Plus, the entire line was poor early in the season, which goes back to the “fist” thing. I’m certain there was some trickle-down, in terms of other players’ poor performance impacting Havenstein. I thought maybe — and here’s our regularly scheduled mention of the Rams’ salary-cap situation — they might attempt to trade Havenstein, but the fact that they didn’t tells me they think he’s still a starting-caliber right tackle.

So, OK, let’s ink in Whitworth and Havenstein at the tackle spots, and I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Blythe got re-signed to be the starting center. So now at guard, we’re talking Noteboom, Evans, Edwards, Corbett and perhaps Allen. That’s dizzying.

Rodrigue: And that’s a solid competition in training camp, though it’s frustrating for the Rams that they will have limited reps to discern starting spots. However, and you know I’m an optimist, here’s the other side of it: They aren’t bringing anybody in to compete who they haven’t seen in live action before. So technically, they will add last year’s game snaps to the body of work these guys put up in training camp.

Where I’m really intrigued is how Noteboom will return from the knee surgeries. An ACL and MCL is tough to come back from, and a guard must keep his center of gravity lower than a longer-bodied tackle. That puts more strain on the knee, as well as more quick-burst vertical movement than, say, the at-times-lateral footwork of a tackle. I think Noteboom can be a really solid player if he stays healthy, but again, how he recovers from the injuries will be key. And sometimes guys just don’t come all the way back from that.

Hammond: To me, Noteboom is the hinge in all this. A year ago, the Rams hoped he would thrive at left guard and then be in position to take over for Whitworth in 2020. Well, all of that went out the window because Noteboom struggled early, then hurt his knee. I think the Rams first need to figure out what they can expect from Noteboom, both in the short term and long term. Can he still be the heir apparent at left tackle? (That assumes, of course, that Whitworth will ever retire.) I’d expect Edwards to push hard for one of the starting guard spots. I was impressed with what I saw during the second half of last season.

In the short term, Whitworth’s health will be a hold-your-breath thing. He’s been ridiculously durable — he hasn’t missed a game because of injury since 2013! — but he’s 38 and good things can’t last forever. If Whitworth goes down, what will the Rams do? As you said, Noteboom remains a question mark. I’d keep an eye on Chandler Brewer. He doesn’t have much experience, but the Rams like him.

Rodrigue: And regarding Noteboom’s continued development, I really don’t like it when teams have young guys play live reps out of position as they are developing (in this case it’s not crazily bad because Noteboom was still on the left side). If you’re going to get serious about developing your post-Whitworth left tackle, then do that. Otherwise, you’re just taking valuable reps-at-position away from the guy. So if they think Noteboom projects as the left guard here, then go all in on that. And that’s fine! Meanwhile, start getting some of the young guys development reps against the twos at practice.

And here’s the other thing: If we assume that right now — this offseason and in practice in the fall — is the right time to start developing your “what happens after Whit” plan (which it is, considering the time it really takes to properly develop at one of the most important positions on the field), then we can also assume that the Rams believe that guy may already be on the roster. Because the two players they brought in via the draft/UDFA process, Tremayne Anchrum and Cohl Cabral, project as guards in the NFL. And that should tell you the confidence not just in the young tackles but also in the future of that position existing on the roster.

Hammond: Very true, and the Rams currently don’t have a first-round pick in the 2021 draft, so the chance of picking up Whitworth’s eventual replacement there are not as high as they might normally be. Perhaps he will just play until he’s 50.

OK, Jourdan, we’ve gone through all the options. Let’s make some predictions on the Week 1 starting O-line. From left to right, I’m going to say Whitworth, Corbett, Blythe, Edwards and Havenstein, in large part to maintain continuity from the end of 2019 and also because I’m not certain the best plan for (or the availability of) Noteboom.

Rodrigue: This is interesting because we are guessing differently on guards, which is pretty reflective of the Rams’ most important offensive line decision this summer. So I think we will see, from left to right: Whitworth, Noteboom, Blythe, Evans, Havenstein.

And swing men (meaning they can play multiple depth positions, so they’ll usually get active jerseys) can be Edwards and Corbett, while Allen takes a backup center role.

Bottom line, even after the inevitable guessing inclusions, OL 'should' be better this time around.

Signed: RealRam -- Optimistic fan. '~'

Comment

Yeah as that of O.L. prevented the team from going to the playoffs. Needs to bulk up
      Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Let's look at the last 8 games of 2019:

The Rams went 4-4. Todd Gurley had 3 games one could consider decent: vs. Pittsburgh (12 carries, 73 yds), vs Chicago (25-97) and vs. Arizona (19-95). Gurley is gone now, but his performances last season are relevant to help measure the effectiveness of the offensive line.

Of greater relevance (and concern) are the numbers of Jared Goff, who is very much still here. Five times in those eight games he had a passer rating of 84.1 or worse. Three of them- vs. Pittsburgh (51.2), Chicago (69.9) and Baltimore (62) were atrocious. He had a pedestrian 11 TD to 9 Int ratio during that stint, not much different from his 11-7 split in the first eight games.

We can defend the O-line concerning the mediocrity of Gurley, who regressed as a player and is now gone. But it's a little less clear cut concerning Goff. Was his below average play the result of personal regression or was the line more than a little culpable for many of his failures? I don't think you can defend Goff and in the same breath claim the offensive line has improved. You can't have it both ways.

To me, Goff has major work to do to show that 2018 wasn't his peak as a player. He needs to answer the burning sentiment among many (myself included) of whether or not he's a guy who needs everything around him to be ideal for him to be successful. That said, I am not convinced our offensive line as currently constructed is any great shakes. I continue to be mystified by the blind loyalty shown to an aging 38 year old Whitworth, whose performance declined last season. And equally confusing is the disloyalty shown to Havenstein, who granted had his own performance issues but is still a young player with the potential to be a solid anchor on the right side for the next several seasons. You can flip a coin with everyone else, all of whom are either inexperienced or coming off injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I don't think you can defend Goff and in the same breath claim the offensive line has improved. You can't have it both ways. Absolutely agree!

To me, Goff has major work to do to show that 2018 wasn't his peak as a player. He needs to answer the burning sentiment among many (myself included) of whether or not he's a guy who needs everything around him to be ideal for him to be successful. That said, I am not convinced our offensive line as currently constructed is any great shakes. I continue to be mystified by the blind loyalty shown to an aging 38 year old Whitworth, whose performance declined last season. And equally confusing is the disloyalty shown to Havenstein, who granted had his own performance issues but is still a young player with the potential to be a solid anchor on the right side for the next several seasons. You can flip a coin with everyone else, all of whom are either inexperienced or coming off injuries.
          I don't know about blind loyalty, I'd phrase keeping Whit as - "he's still the best we've got right now." As regards Havenstein, I believe he'll be given every opportunity to reclaim his RT spot on the roster. If he can't regain his former abilities, he could end up being traded due to his cap hit this year.

(In 2020, Havenstein will earn a base salary of $910,000, a roster bonus of $3,750,000 and a restructure bonus of $2,340,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,240,000 and a dead cap value of $8,490,000.)

I really hope trading Big Rob doesn't occur, as the combination of a healthy Havenstein and Higbee could be just what is needed for our running game.

Our current line as of now isn't "any great shakes" - I agree. That said, Snead and McVay had to clear some cap space by subtracting Gurley and Cooks. Eliminating those two left us thin at both running back and receiver. To offset those vacancies, Snead/McVay added Akers & Jefferson. Akers having the uncanny knack of gaining more yards after contact, and Jefferson running very precise routes while getting early separation as well.

McVay needs to provide Goff with plenty of "quick hit" plays that focus on getting the ball out fast! I believe the acquisition of Van Jefferson was to fill that role. Assuredly McVay needs to limit the amount of plays which take longer to develop. Goff does well when he establishes a rhythm. McVay and the shiny new OC need to furnish Jared the wherewithal to establish that rhythm.

We plainly didn't have the draft capital to address all our needs. Clearly Snead/McVay felt the biggest need was replacing Gurley and Cooks with far cheaper options. Add to that the collective experience of our young O-line guys, (Hope! Hope !!), and there you have it. The Rams on both sides of the ball are a big box of chocolates at this point. We'll just have to wait and see ..

Comment

Very valid comments, Maui and NJ. The issue to me breaks down 2 ways. To begin the line will have to gel at some point before the season if we're to contend for the playoffs and go deep. As you said Maui, the Rams have to keep investing in Whitworth as we have no proven alternative. I think Havenstein will return to his prior to 2019 form and provide the needed protection. The open issue to me is inside, especially at center. Better blocking in the A-Gap should help avoid the relentless pressure Goff had all season. At least we have enough options to try out before the season starts.

The other question is how good Goff can benefit from a restored running game, slowing down the pass rush. Using a different scheme of 2 TE's can certainly help the issue. I feel the issue with Goff isn't his accuracy or quick release it's his checkdowns finding secondary receivers if his first option is covered. Having better line blocking can help that, but he must still have the mental acuity to get it done. In watching some game replays on NFL Network you can see Goff is making bad decisions. Also let's not blame Goff entirely. The receivers need to make contested catches as well.

Until the ball is snapped we will keep asking these questions about the O-Line and the writers will keep scaring us based on what happened last year, but players can improve (or not) if coached well and the Rams have a clear idea of what must get done, which I don't think they had last year at this time. Given that fact, I have faith in the coaching staff that this must be solved before any great achievements can happen.

Comment