• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking down the eight NFL draft picks Rams made and how they fit

Breaking down the eight NFL draft picks Rams made and how they fit
    BY GARY KLEIN
    STAFF WRITER
    APRIL 30, 2022 UPDATED 5:51 PM PT

Los Angeles Times’ Rams beat writer Gary Klein examines every NFL draft pick by the team:

Logan Bruss — Offensive lineman
    6 feet 5, 308 pounds, Wisconsin, Round 3, Pick 104

Notable: Bruss played at Wisconsin, which produced Rams right tackle Rob Havenstein and left guard David Edwards.

Last season: Bruss played a lot at right tackle but also has experience at guard.

Why the Rams drafted him: With the departure of Austin Corbett to the Carolina Panthers, the Rams are in need of a starting right guard. Havenstein and Edwards both played as rookies and the Rams are counting on Bruss to be another “player” from the Wisconsin program.

Decobie Durant — Cornerback
    5 feet 10, 180 pounds, South Carolina State, Round 4, Pick 142

Notable: This is the second year in a row the Rams selected a cornerback from an FCS school. Last season, they chose Robert Rochell from Central Arkansas.

Last season: Durant intercepted three passes and broke up 12. He and was voted first-team FCS All-American and the MEAC defensive player of the year.

Why the Rams drafted him: The Rams needed depth in the secondary in the wake of Darious Williams’ departure as a free agent to the Jacksonville Jaguars. He joins a position group that includes cornerback Jalen Ramsey, David Long and Rochell.

Kyren Williams — Running back
    5 feet 9, 194 pounds, Notre Dame, Round 5, Pick 164

Notable: The Rams traded two picks to the Las Vegas Raiders to move up and select Williams, who grew up in St. Louis as a Rams fan. He said he dressed up as former Rams running back Steven Jackson for Halloween.

Last season: Williams rushed for 1,002 yards and 14 touchdowns, and caught 42 passes for 359 yards and three touchdowns.

Why the Rams drafted him: The Rams did not re-sign Sony Michel, so Williams gives the Rams depth behind Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson, who is entering the final year of his contract.

Quentin Lake — Safety
    6 feet 1, 201 pounds, UCLA, Round 6, Pick 211

Notable: Lake, who played at Santa Ana Mater Dei High, is the son of former Pro Bowl defensive back Carnell Lake.

Last season: Lake had three interceptions and broke up six passes.

Why the Rams drafted him: The Rams wanted more depth in a position group that includes Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp, Nick Scott and Terrell Burgess. Rapp and Scott are in the final year of their contracts.

Derion Kendrick — Cornerback
    6 feet 1, 194 pounds, Georgia, Round 6, Pick 212

Notable: Kendrick began his career as a receiver at Clemson before switching to cornerback and becoming an All-Atlantic Coast Conference performer. He was removed from the program, reportedly for repeated violations of team rules, and transferred to Georgia before the 2021 season.

Last season: Kendrick intercepted four passes, including two in a College Football Playoff semifinal victory over Michigan.

Why the Rams drafted him: The Rams apparently can’t have enough cornerbacks. On a day when they drafted Decobie Durant and traded for Troy Hill, they added depth to the secondary and special teams.

Daniel Hardy — Defensive end
    6 feet 2, 239 pounds, Montana State, Round 7, Pick 235

Notable: Hardy played on a Montana State defense that also featured linebacker Troy Andersen, a second-round pick by the Atlanta Falcons.

Last season: Hardy ranked second in the Football Championship Subdivision with 24½ tackles for losses and 16½ sacks.

Why the Rams drafted him: With the departures of Von Miller and Obo Okoronkwo, the Rams wanted depth opposite Leonard Floyd. Hardy will compete with Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis and Chris Garrett.

Russ Yeast — Safety
    5 feet 10, 192 pounds, Kansas State, Round 7, Pick 253

Notable: Yeast began his career at Louisville, where he played with Rams receiver Tutu Atwell, but played his final season at Kansas State and was selected All-Big 12 Conference.

Last season: Yeast intercepted four passes and led the conference with 14 passes defended.

Why the Rams drafted him: Yeast is expected to help augment special teams and provide the Rams with depth at safety along with fellow draftee Quentin Lake.

AJ Arcuri — Offensive line
    6 feet 7, 308 pounds, Michigan State, Round 7, Pick 261

Notable: Arcuri played both tackle spots, which could make him a versatile piece behind Joe Noteboom and Rob Havenstein.

Last season: Injuries sidelined Arcuri early in his career but in 2021 he played every game for a Michigan State team that finished 11-2.

Why the Rams drafted him: Offensive line depth was not a pressing issue, but Andrew Whitworth’s retirement created an opportunity for the Rams to develop more linemen.

Thanks for posting this Nick. It answered a question I had about Quentin Lake being related to Carnell as they both went to UCLA. If he's anything like his dad he's a ferocious hitter.

Is Hardy our first Montana State pick or was Trumaine Johnson. Maybe Johnson went to University of Montana. Either way we hopefully found a solid OLB/DE.
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -05-01-2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Trumaine went to Montana (Big Sky)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Late addition to the Rams 2022 newcomers.

----------------------------------------------------------

FSU defensive end signs undrafted free agent
        deal with Los Angeles Rams

The talented defensive end is heading to the west coast.

FanNation
        By Nate Greer
        May 01, 2022

One of the more confusing paths to the pros in this draft class has been former Florida State defensive end Keir Thomas. Being a notable name missing from the NFL combine after a strong senior season made the path harder, but Sunday he didn’t wait long as he's signed with the defending Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams.

Thomas was able to use the Covid year to pair with first-round pick Jermaine Johnson to form arguably the best defensive end combo in the ACC in 2021. He played in all 12 games for the Noles, accumulating 42 tackles for 12 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. His play allowed him to be named ACC Defensive Lineman of the week multiple times.

He was hoping to have a big Pro Day but he was hampered by a nagging hamstring injury which more than likely prevented him from getting drafted.

He joins one of the best defenses in the NFL with the Rams. Behind Aaron Donald and A’Shawn Robinson, the Rams have a young and inexperienced roster along the defensive line. Thomas will have to lean on his non-stop motor, better than average flexibility, and lateral quickness to make an impact once training camp starts.

Thomas is one of the better undrafted free agents in 2022 and it will be fun to watch him work to earn a roster spot this fall.

This youngster might have missed the party but he's got a valid ticket.

Comment

Nice. Appears to be a solid body for camp that can push for a spot. After 2nd year man Earnest Brown, the Rams don't really have anyone of note behind Ashawn and AD. I actually thought the Rams might make a run at Morgan Fox since he's still FA after playing a short stint for Carolina.

edit: After further review, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams are grabbing Keir Thomas to compete for the olb spot.
          Last edited by KoaKoi; -05-02-2022, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Koi, are you disparaging Marquis Copeland, who had the big interception in week 18 i believe and the up and coming Jonah Williams? I hear you loud and clear on veteran depth on the defensive line, but we do have a number of young linemen waiting for their turn. I knew we wouldnt be able to keep sebastian joseph day and i am bummed about that because i think he will be a very good starter for san diego.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
              Koi, are you disparaging Marquis Copeland, who had the big interception in week 18 i believe and the up and coming Jonah Williams? I hear you loud and clear on veteran depth on the defensive line, but we do have a number of young linemen waiting for their turn. I knew we wouldnt be able to keep sebastian joseph day and i am bummed about that because i think he will be a very good starter for san diego.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
              Oh dear lord. Yes I guess I am! lol
              Perhaps if either of those guys stay off the practice squad for longer than a couple weeks I'll start remembering their names and consider them "of note".

But truly, once I looked closer at Thomas, I really do think with his build and stats, as well as the depth at DE vs the depth at olb, that Thomas and the Rams will be better served with him competing at olb against Lewis, Hollins, and Garrett. So maybe I'm giving Copeland and Williams a little tiny insy winsy respect?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                Los Angeles Rams NFL draft picks 2022: Analysis for every selection
                by Nick
                Los Angeles Rams NFL draft picks 2022: Analysis for every selection
                Sarah Barshop
                ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The 2022 NFL draft is now in the books and every Los Angeles Rams' draft pick will be analyzed here.

The draft will be held in Las Vegas on the strip in the area adjacent to Caesars Forum two years after it was initially scheduled. The 2020 NFL draft was turned into a virtual event because of COVID-19.

Here's a pick-by-pick look at how each player Los Angeles has selected will fit.

Round 3, No. 104 overall: Logan Bruss, OG, Wisconsin
                My take: With their first pick of the draft -- the latest a defending Super Bowl champion has ever waited to make its first selection -- the Rams added to an offensive line that lost two of their starters from their Super Bowl LVI victory. Los Angeles led the NFL in pass block win rate in 2021, according to ESPN Stats & Information, but no longer have left tackle Andrew Whitworth (retired) or right guard Austin Corbett (signed with the Carolina Panthers). Last season, the Rams’ top-five offensive line combination played 717 snaps together, which was the fourth-most in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Info. The Rams didn’t draft an offensive lineman in 2021 but add another former Wisconsin lineman this year, as Bruss joins right tackle Rob Havenstein and left guard David Edwards. He'll figure into the guard mix with Bobby Evans, who was a third-round pick in 2019 and has started eight games in three seasons.

Round 4, No. 142 overall: Decobie Durant, CB, South Carolina State
                My take: The Rams had a need in the secondary after starting cornerback Darious Williams signed with the Jaguars during free agency, and they added to the unit by drafting Durant in the fourth round. Durant, who led the MEAC with 14 passes defensed, was tied for second with 14 interceptions in the conference last season. The Rams allowed the second-most yards after contact on receptions (755) last season, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

Round 5, No. 164 overall: Kyren Williams, RB, Notre Dame
                My take: The Rams already have two solid backs in Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr., but Williams provides a specific skillset. Expect the former Notre Dame standout to compete immediately on passing downs given his blocking and receiving abilities. From 2020 to 2021, Williams ranked fifth among FBS among running backs in both catches (77) and receiving yards (663).

Round 6, No. 211 overall: Quentin Lake, S, UCLA
                My take: Drafting the versatile Lake in the sixth round gives Los Angeles more help in the secondary. Lake, who played five years at UCLA, had three interceptions and six passes defensed last season. The Rams allowed the highest completion percentage in the NFL last season on throws inside the numbers (78.8%), according to ESPN Stats & Information, also the second-highest rate in the...
                -05-01-2022, 05:27 AM
              • Nick
                Rams 2019 Mock Draft Roundup: Fifth edition
                by Nick
                Rams 2019 Mock Draft Roundup: Fifth edition
                Monday, Apr 01, 2019 12:10 PM
                Myles Simmons
                RAMS INSIDER

As the calendar flips to April, we are just 25 days away from the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft. And as the date draws closer, analysts are putting in even more mocks.

In this week’s edition of the roundup, we have a few projections that are similar to what they’ve been in previous weeks, a couple outliers, and also a couple seven-round projections.

With that, here’s the fifth edition of this year’s mock draft roundup.

—————

Let’s start with one of the outliers, because it is a pretty big one: NFL.com's Peter Schrager has the Rams selecting Penn State running back Miles Sanders with their first-round pick.

“Sanders isn't getting the same pre-draft buzz as other running backs in this class, but his combine performance turned heads around the league. His pass-catching ability -- SEE: the Indiana game, when he hauled in six catches for 54 yards -- helps him. Los Angeles will look to add a complement (with the ability to catch passes out of the backfield) for Todd Gurley at some point in this draft,” Schrager writes.

With running back Todd Gurley already under contract through the 2023 season, this would be a pretty radical move for the first round — even if the Rams would like to better monitor Gurley’s snaps to keep him fresh.

A second-team All-Big Ten honoree in 2018, Sanders rushed for 1,274 yards with nine touchdowns and caught 24 passes for 139 yards in his first year as a starter at Penn State following the departure of now-Giants running back Saquon Barkley. Overall, Sanders recorded 308 touches for 1,842 yards with 13 touchdowns in his three collegiate seasons.

—————

Two analysts have Los Angeles selecting North Carolina State center Garrett Bradbury this week: ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and USA Today Touchdown Wire’s Doug Farrar.

From Kiper ($$): Bradbury had a fantastic week at the Senior Bowl in January, and he followed it up with a strong combine workout, which has him on the fringes of Round 1. With the Rams moving on from John Sullivan this offseason, this is a straight like-for-like replacement, as Bradbury (6-foot-3, 306 pounds) could step in and start on Day 1. Cornerback is another position to watch for L.A., with the futures of Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib uncertain.”

From Farrar: “The Rams moved on from center John Sullivan and left guard Rodger Saffold after their Super Bowl defeat, and if they want to get back to that big game, interior protection for Jared Goff is a must. Bradbury isn’t an old-school power center, but his near-flawless fundamentals, second-level speed and understanding of schematic concepts would allow Sean McVay to not only unleash his passing concepts, but also to extract the most out of his run game.”

Bradbury was the 2018 Rimington...
                -04-01-2019, 02:46 PM
              • Nick
                Rams pick safety Taylor Rapp in second round of NFL draft after trading down twice
                by Nick
                Rams pick safety Taylor Rapp in second round of NFL draft after trading down twice
                By GARY KLEIN
                APR 26, 2019 | 10:05 PM

The Rams were in no hurry to make their first pick in the NFL draft.

They entered Friday already having traded their first-round pick the day before, and then traded down twice in the second round to the 61st pick before choosing their first player.

That’s where they selected Washington safety Taylor Rapp, before adding Memphis running back Darrell Henderson, Michigan cornerback David Long and Oklahoma offensive lineman Bobby Evans in the third round.

In all, the Rams traded back three times and forward twice in the first two days of a draft that concludes Saturday with Rounds 3 through 7. The Rams have four more picks, though that number could grow or shrink if general manager Les Snead continues dealing.

“Slightly fun day,” Snead said Friday night, adding that Rams’ intent was to “get as many shots at the basket as possible in the top 100” picks.

“We felt like it would benefit the Rams not only in the short term but in the long term as well,” he said.

The Rams were thought to be searching for defensive linemen that could help replace Ndamukong Suh and offensive linemen that could add depth.

But their first three picks deviated from those areas.

Rapp, 6-feet and 200 pounds, joins a safety corps that includes six-time Pro Bowl player Eric Weddle and ascending safety John Johnson.

“A lot of the things that you love so much about Eric and J.J., we feel like Taylor has a lot of those similar traits and characteristics,” coach Sean McVay said.

Rapp said he was eager to learn from Weddle and Johnson.

“It’s an incredible opportunity and I think it’s the perfect scenario for me,” Rapp said during a teleconference. “I couldn’t ask for anything better.”

Rapp played three seasons at Washington and intercepted seven passes. Last season, he intercepted two passes and helped the Huskies reach the Rose Bowl. He suffered a hip injury in the final regular-season game, however, and sat out the Rose Bowl game.

He might have slid in the draft because of questions about his hip, especially after he clocked a time of 4.77 seconds at Washington’s Pro day workout.

“Got it checked out by the Rams’ doctors and physical stuff there, so it’s completely healthy,” he said. “I’m ready to play ball now. I’m ready to get to work.”

The selection of Henderson in the third round with the 70th pick naturally raised questions about star running back Todd Gurley’s left knee. Gurley, who signed a $60-million extension before last season, sat out the last two games because of a knee issue and struggled during much of the postseason.

Since the Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots, Snead and McVay have said the Rams would work to manage...
                -04-27-2019, 08:53 AM
              • Nick
                Grad School: A college football expert fills the draft needs of NFC West teams
                by Nick
                Grad School: A college football expert fills the draft needs of NFC West teams
                By Andy Staples
                Apr 10, 2020

Editor’s note: First in an eight-part, division-by-division series

We’re blessed at The Athletic to have a huge team of NFL writers and college football writers, and the NFL Draft is the perfect opportunity for us to work together.

As a college football writer, I’ve been watching the potential draftees for the past (three or) four years. I know who maxed out his potential and who remains raw. I also know who might have some great intangible qualities that don’t show up in a draft combine workout. But I don’t know the needs of every NFL team like the beat writers who cover them do. So I asked our NFL beat writers to explain the biggest draft needs of the teams they cover, and I tried to match those teams with the perfect players — or at least the best available players — to fill those needs.

Today, we examine the NFC West …

Picks: 13, 31, 156, 176, 217, 245

The *****’ Super Bowl roster remains largely intact save for two significant departures — defensive tackle DeForest Buckner and receiver Emmanuel Sanders. The team could stand to add a big, physical, gap-penetrating interior defensive lineman and a versatile receiver who can stretch the field. The ***** also have been looking at offensive linemen — including tackles — tight ends, strong safeties and cornerbacks. The ***** toggled between Ahkello Witherspoon and Emmanuel Moseley at right cornerback last year, and it was an area of weakness at times late in the season. Furthermore, Witherspoon, Richard Sherman and nickel cornerback K’Waun Williams are all going into the final year of their contracts. — Matt Barrows

The ***** built a contender with first-round defensive line talent such as Arik Armstead, Buckner, Solomon Thomas and Nick Bosa. So it seems logical to spend one of those two first-round slots to try to replace Buckner. The question is which one. Auburn’s Derrick Brown fits the bill perfectly, but he’s going to be gone by pick No. 13. However, the ***** probably can get Brown’s Auburn teammate Marlon Davidson at No. 31. Davidson is 6-3 and 303 pounds and played the bigger defensive end spot in Auburn’s defense, but he was always willing to slide inside when asked throughout his career. He led Auburn in tackles for loss last season, but he doesn’t need to play outside to get penetration. Davidson’s coachability and willingness to play multiple roles would make him a great fit.

So what should the ***** do with No. 13? If they’re not sure Joe Staley comes back, then they probably need to take an offensive tackle here. Alabama’s Jedrick Wills and Tristan Wirfs could be gone by this point, so the choice could come down to Louisville’s Mekhi Becton or Georgia’s...
                -04-11-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Nick
                Rich Hammond's First Rams Mock has LA Going RB in Round 2
                by Nick
                Rams mock draft: Six picks that could fill remaining holes from free agency
                By Rich Hammond
                Mar 30, 2020 28

Yes, the Rams have draft picks this year.

They’ll be quiet in the first round, per annual tradition, but part of the Rams’ recent success has included mid-round gems such as Tyler Higbee, Cooper Kupp, John Johnson and Sebastian Joseph-Day. General manager Les Snead isn’t shy about moving up, down, diagonally or between dimensions during a draft, so don’t count on the Rams picking where they’re scheduled to do so.

Still, mock drafts are fun, and this feels like an important draft for the Rams because they’ve suffered some recent losses through free agency and need to fill some holes.

First, some ground rules. These aren’t random picks. I went through six previously published mock drafts, and the players listed below had to be available at those draft spots in at least three mocks. I also, admittedly, drafted for need rather than skill. For instance, this class of wide receivers is thought to be stellar. I ignored them because I felt the Rams needed to fill holes. That’s often not how GMs think, and they’re often proven correct.

I also made no trades, something that never will happen with Snead. Let’s see how it turned out.

Round 2 (pick No. 52): Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU
                There’s no practical reason to believe the Rams will enter training camp with only Malcolm Brown, Darrell Henderson and John Kelly at running back. Is there a chance they still might add a veteran back in free agency? Theoretically, yes, but the options and salary-cap space are dwindling.

It’s doubtful that any running back will go in the first round, and it’s probable that Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor and Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins will be gone by the time the Rams make their initial pick. That’s fine, because in some ways, Edwards-Helaire makes the most sense.

The Rams seemed to have some issues last season when Todd Gurley couldn’t find the perfect block. Edwards-Helaire doesn’t seem to need one. His burst and agility in tight spaces is extraordinary, and with his motor, he’s tough to bring down. The biggest issue is that Edwards-Helaire measures 5-foot-7 and 207 pounds, almost identical to the 5-8, 208-pound Henderson.

Remember, though, that so much of coach Sean McVay’s genius in 2017 and 2018 was in his ability to “make it all look the same.” He lined the Rams up in 11 personnel on almost every play, but opponents never knew what was coming before the snap. Perhaps a combination of Henderson and Edwards-Helaire — with Brown as a shorter-yardage back — might bring that back to the Rams.

Finally, NFL.com’s draft profile compares Edwards-Helaire to Atlanta’s Devonta Freeman. Last year, Henderson got compared to Atlanta’s Tevin Coleman. That worked out pretty well for the Falcons.

Also considered: Jordyn Brooks,...
                -03-31-2020, 06:02 AM
              Working...
              X