• Show
Clear All

• Robert Quinn, anyone?

Bears Robert Quinn demands trade. That’s an LA Rams specialty

https://ramblinfan.com/2022/05/22/ro...m_medium=email
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Could be!

Check out some of the posts under the 'Hypothetical 53-man 2022 roster' thread that mention Quinn.

Comment

Of course interested, totally depends on the cap situation and again (sorry to sound like a broken record) not sure how we can afford it without knowing what the cap situation is with Aaron Donald.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
        Of course interested, totally depends on the cap situation and again (sorry to sound like a broken record) not sure how we can afford it without knowing what the cap situation is with Aaron Donald.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
        The question was, of course, rhetorical.

The interest is there, but juggling payroll and not compromising the team chemistry is a constant concern..

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

I know he had a good year last year for the Bears... but I can't shake the feeling that the Robert Quinn we remember, would not be the Robert Quinn we'd see in 2022.
          For some reason, my skirt is barely fluttering in the breeze at the prospect. I don't necessarily know why....

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
            I know he had a good year last year for the Bears... but I can't shake the feeling that the Robert Quinn we remember, would not be the Robert Quinn we'd see in 2022...

Very important point -- Quinn just turned 32, as if it were 32 years ago that he donned our Rams uniform. Long time.

Would this acquisition have a similar worth, performance wise, to ... say, Von Miller's?

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post

Very important point -- Quinn just turned 32, as if it were 32 years ago that he donned our Rams uniform. Long time.

Would this acquisition have a similar worth, performance wise, to ... say, Von Miller's?
              No, I don't think it would have similar worth. Not at all.
              There's a reason Von Miller will be a shoe-in for the HOF... and while Quinn has a couple pro bowls in his belt, I don't see the comparison being equal.

Fortunately, the Rams didn't have to pay a dime of Von Miller's contract...only had to deliver a draft pick. I don't see the same thing happening on the Quinn side of things as his contract still has 3 expensive years remaining.

Again, I really can't place my finger on it. So I went back to the stats list and I see how Quinn had some down years in his last 3 seasons with the Rams...(I remember a lingering back issue was a culprit; a nasty concussion in there too). But once in Miami and then Dallas and even his first year in Chicago, he continued to have 3 additional unremarkable years. So now here he is, after 6 adequate years from a stats perspective, he has one stellar year and demands to be traded. I don't know, it just doesn't feel right. Feels like a trap. If the Rams are interested, I hope they scour his physical reports and do a dang good job working him out. Quinn's a good to great player at a position of need, so it wouldn't be terrible to get him...it just isn't the route I'd go. But I'm just a guy sitting in a chair looking on from afar... so what do i know

Comment

Quinn might be expensive now, but his contract is set. The QB and WR markets are exploding, and we are fortunate to have Stafford and Kupp, who want to be Rams and don't need to get paid as much as some other team would pay them. EDGE rushers are up, and likely to go up more in anticipation of increased salary caps.

Donald deserves a paycheck, of course. I do NOT see the cost of edge rushers of Quinn's calibre going down. Von Miller IS great. He is also 33 with his own injuries, and a contract that pays him well over 20 million per year over FIVE years, when he will be 38. (granted, only $26 mil guaranteed).

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyhater View Post
                  Quinn might be expensive now, but his contract is set. The QB and WR markets are exploding, and we are fortunate to have Stafford and Kupp, who want to be Rams and don't need to get paid as much as some other team would pay them. EDGE rushers are up, and likely to go up more in anticipation of increased salary caps.

Donald deserves a paycheck, of course. I do NOT see the cost of edge rushers of Quinn's calibre going down. Von Miller IS great. He is also 33 with his own injuries, and a contract that pays him well over 20 million per year over FIVE years, when he will be 38. (granted, only $26 mil guaranteed).
                  Sounds like you took my opinion between the two from a performance basis, and are now using that to support that Quinn is worth the trade at 13M a year, because Von Miller's getting paid 20M.

So let me add the necessary piece in the form of the missing question and my resulting answer: do i think von miller is worth the contract he just signed with Buffalo. I say, absolutely not. If the Rams had paid VM 20M a year, I would have been greatly disappointed. Rams needed to secure Stafford, AD, and get secondary help.... so I'm glad that all turned out the way it did.

My gut is just telling me that an aging DE, great player tho he is, just isn't exciting me at all. Not after spending the money on Bobby Wagner. Rams just won the super bowl with Troy Reever at lb for crying out loud. The improvement at that spot alone is going to be ridiculous. I just don't feel like we need to spend draft and cap collateral in a trade for Quinn.... feel it would be a bad move.

Comment

Quinn is only 20th on the pay scale. The cheap guys are all on rookie contracts, which might be nice but we don't get top drawer rookies these days.
                    Two years from now $13 mil might look pretty good.
                    He wasn't an Edge rusher, but I thought the one year we had the aging Suh on our line, that he made Donald more effective, just as Von Miller did in the playoffs.
                    I accept your point about the aging veterans. We held onto Todd Lyght and Dexter McCleon for one year too many (2000). All-pro level players tend to age more gracefully (exception being running back, because they are over used and get beat up more).
                    T.J. Watt Steelers 28 $112,011,000 $28,002,750 $80,000,000 $80,000,000 2026 UFA
                    Joey Bosa Chargers 27 $135,000,000 $27,000,000 $102,000,000 $78,000,000 2026 UFA
                    Myles Garrett Browns 27 $125,000,000 $25,000,000 $100,000,000 $50,000,000 2027 UFA
                    Khalil Mack Chargers 31 $141,000,000 $23,500,000 $90,000,000 $60,000,000 2025 UFA
                    Maxx Crosby Raiders 25 $94,000,000 $23,500,000 $53,000,000 $26,515,000 2027 UFA
                    Von Miller Bills 33 $120,000,000 $20,000,000 $51,435,000 $45,000,000 2028 UFA
                    Cameron Jordan Saints 33 $52,500,000 $17,500,000 $42,735,000 $27,935,000 2024 Void
                    Harold Landry Titans 26 $87,500,000 $17,500,000 $52,500,000 $35,250,000 2027 UFA
                    Arik Armstead ***** 29 $85,000,000 $17,000,000 $45,850,000 $34,150,000 2025 Void
                    Shaquil Barrett Buccaneers 30 $68,000,000 $17,000,000 $34,500,000 $34,500,000 2025 Void
                    Chandler Jones Raiders 32 $51,000,000 $17,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000 2025 Void
                    Bud Dupree Titans 29 $82,500,000 $16,500,000 $35,000,000 $33,750,000 2026 UFA
                    Emmanuel Ogbah Dolphins 29 $65,400,000 $16,350,000 $36,000,000 $32,000,000 1 ERFA
                    Leonard Floyd Rams 30 $64,000,000 $16,000,000 $32,500,000 $32,500,000 2025 Void
                    Carl Lawson Jets 27 $45,000,000 $15,000,000 $30,000,000 $30,000,000 2024 UFA
                    Haason Reddick Eagles 28 $45,000,000 $15,000,000 $30,000,000 $30,000,000 2025 Void
                    Trey Hendrickson Bengals 28 $60,000,000 $15,000,000 $16,000,000 $16,000,000 2025 UFA
                    Frank Clark Chiefs 29 $29,000,000 $14,500,000 $15,475,000 $5,475,000 2024 UFA
                    Danielle Hunter Vikings 28 $72,000,000 $14,400,000 $40,007,000 $16,907,000 2024 Void
                    Robert Quinn Bears 32 $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $30,000,000 $30,000,000 2025 UFA

Comment

Excellent posts here CH, RnD, and KK!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and research cowboy. Appreciate your perspective.

I would just end with this. I want to highlight the fact that Quinn is not a free agent asking for that type of money ala Von Miller. Something additional has to be traded away to the Bears for the privilege to pay Quinn that money... and that's a huge part of my calculation. I just don't see it as a good investment. Bears are going to want a lot...

That said, if Snead and McVay want him.... i'll sheeple behind them.
                        Last edited by KoaKoi; -05-26-2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by General Counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel

Tue. May 31: Speaking of our AD star, new rumors are whirling about 'retirement'.

Donald, just sign the contract, then 'Run It Back!' Super Bowl wise.

Comment

What does Donald want? If it is a bigger pot of money, he could go to another team later. that will pay him $30 million a year, and finish 8-9, or maybe more for one year before the paychecks catch up. If he retires right now, he'll get in the Hall of Fame, but maybe not on the first ballot. Is he hurting? He has maybe 50 years of life to do something, and there is one thing he can do better than anyone in the world. He is blessed to be on a team that can put the right pieces around him, and provide him with the exposure that you don't get in Jacksonville or Cincinnati.

Walter Payton talked of retirement for eight years before he actually did it, and the poor man had less life left than anyone realized. I think Donald comes back, but we don't need drama.

Comment

Well said, CH.

Comment