Great win but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great win but.....

Great performance, we looked like champs tonight. However, in the same way that i cautioned against getting too upset last week, i make the same point this week, ie lets not overeact. Great win, but still preseason.

All the same, seeing the first string offensive line play well is very very encouraging. For the millionth time, given time to throw, bulger is devastating. Rev Ike is simple not coverable one on one by any #2 corner and The Big Boy is truly a man child out there in the open field. Hate to have to get in front of him and try to bring him down once he gets up a head of steam.

Wish manu hadnt dropped that perfect throw from bulger over the middle. That play will be open for us ALL year but he has to make the catch when it hits him in the hands.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: Great win but.....

Originally posted by general counsel
    Wish manu hadnt dropped that perfect throw from bulger over the middle. That play will be open for us ALL year but he has to make the catch when it hits him in the hands.
    Agreed. Apparently Manumaleuna can't catch a ball this year unless there's no one around him in a five yard radius. He had two catches tonight, and on both he was wide open with no one around him.

Comment

Manu (TE), my blood pressure went to the danger area when he dropped that one.. I'd sit him down Monday and play him the ABC tape of Madden laughing and saying "Well, you gotta catch that!!". I was looking for him to pat his chest and acknowledge it was HIS fault. That ball was perfectly thrown. Bulger is vastly UNDER-rated. He does his job continually. I wish we could give him the protection that some NFL QBs enjoy.. His numbers would rival Peyton Mannings, I truly believe that and I've never been accused wearing rose-colored glasses.

Manu can run and he has terrific size, but he hasn't produced the way the Rams had hoped. It may be correctable, because he's doing some good things - outrunning DBs, running precise patterns. He just needs to close the show!!

Comment

Manu has made that catch a number of times before. It's a tough one coming directly over your head. Marshall used to run a route like that one too and made some great catches.

Awesome victory.

Anyone know why Fair wasn't back their for the kickoffs? It's not like they were testing Cason to see what he can do, or Harris for that matter. We were last in the league last year with those 2 handling the job. Were they looking to use Fair as a CB, which they did, so they weren't using him at KR???? Cuz in my opinion he's the only guy on this roster, assuming he can still move his arms, that has a chance to get past the 20.

And what is up with Macdonald on Punt Returns? I must have missed the later one he broke, but c'mon, he runs backwards half the time? That's inexcusable. Can Fair do both? Please? Think he'll be back within 3-4 weeks max????? I hope.

Comment

I like the way Hedgecock played in the second half. That TD may have secured him a job on this roster. He was around the ball on SP last week too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it on the roster as a TE. He has the size and the hands that Manu lacks.
          JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
          :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
          Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Its Preseason And It Was The Lions,but They Did Look Very Good

Comment

Manumaleuna, he's regarded as a big/heavy (290) TE with soft hands.

I totally agree in that the pass he dropped tonight was right in his hands, a perfect toss.

Sure, the ball arriving right over your head may be somewhat difficult (and as we know, even the great receivers, Bruce, Holt, Ellard, etc., inexplicably miss some easy ones), but rest assured that Brandon -- though not necessarily eloquent in recognizing his error -- is the first to admit that he should have pulled that pass into the basket and scored another Rams TD!

This was a great win with very good timing. We needed it, came out prepared, and made it happen. It was not just because the Detroit Lions were not hungry or because they made mistakes.

Now let's go to work! :angryram:

Comment

If you can't catch a pass thrown over your head that hits both of your hands - dead center - you're not for this league.

And Bulger throws the most catchable passes...

He missed first base... there's no getting around it.

Comment

Im not ready to crucify i guy for dropping one pass in a preseason game. Faulk had a drop as well. Should he have caught it, yes. If that is the only thing we have to complain about after the game, I think we played very well, and should continue to praise the good things. How about Claiborne drilling kevin jones and getting the sack. That is one dude i dont want to get in front of. Who would win, S.Jackson or Claiborne?

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
                    As is often the case with Manu, he goes to the ground with a whisper, and he seems to lose concentration on catching the ball when that whisper is within 5 feet of his ear.

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime
                      Im not ready to crucify i guy for dropping one pass in a preseason game. Faulk had a drop as well.
                      True, but let's face it - Faulk's resumé allows him to drop one every now and then. Manu needs to make all the catches he can because, aside from one great catch last season, he hasn't really done anything.

Comment

The last 4 years Manu has played in all 16 games, he has been a starter for the last 3 years. I have not seen much improvement over that time therefore I think he has reached his peek performance. I think Roland has better hands and will be our receiving TE.

Manus 2004 Stats:
                        16 Games, 15 Starts, 15 passes for 174 yards and one touchdown.

Roland Stats:
                        2002 (Oakland last fully healthy season)
                        16 Games, 11 Starts, 27 receptions for 213 yards

1999 (Rams):
                        16 Games, 15 Starts, 25 receptions for 226 yards with career-high six touchdowns

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                          True, but let's face it - Faulk's resumé allows him to drop one every now and then. Manu needs to make all the catches he can because, aside from one great catch last season, he hasn't really done anything.

That's what I'm talking about.. I'm agreeing with Nick way too much lately!

It's not one pass in PRE-season, it's a pattern. I'm not worried about Bruce or Faulk. They are proven commodities. But, Manu hasn't improved and his pattern of inconsistency CONTINUES, that's what makes it different. MANU is a giant and I think we should see him running over some 190lb Def Backs, but it rarely happens. This guy has more natural talent then Jeremy Shockey, but not the desire, I'm afraid. Is this another one of those "potential never being realized" players that drives you crazy.

I think Martz is such a visionary that he can see how this guy or that guy could change the team. Change the playing field, but you can't give desire to anyone. And possibly, that's why we seem to have so many extremely gifted players that don't live up to that potential. The Rams should start taking players with the eye of the tiger.. Guys that love to play and have produced and been on winning teams.. And less of the athletes that dazzle you in shorts. Make no mistake, for 300lbs, Manu can run! Madden said he short-armed that catch - meaning he was worried about taking a hit. A 300lb TE with alligator arms is not a good thing.

Comment

In fairness (since i started this), Manumanumliamuliamula made some huge huge catches for us in traffic last year, one in OT and one in the seattle comeback. He seems to do a lot better on the tough catches than the easy ones. My point on the post was that with all of our weapons, that route will have great frequency of being open, if manu makes the catch most of the time, we will get some very big plays out of it. Remember guys, once he gets loose in the secondary, manumamiliamula is a major load to bring down.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

General,

He SHOULD be a major load, but how many times does he run over someone (or just run through the tackle)?

I am impressed with his speed.. For him to get open at that size is something in itself.

I admit I can't spell his name

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Curly Horns
                                I can't stand Manumaleuna, no buts about it...
                                by Curly Horns
                                What do the Rams see in this guy other than a big body? He has cuaght a few big passes, during his time with the Rams, but for all the horrible plays he has made I don't see how that makes up for it.

It still boggles my mind as to why carolina made this guy an offer and then the Rams go and match it.

Come on, the Rams went from the likes of conwell to this guy? I don't understand. I mean a high school coach would look at this guy and say: "he's a big boy but a bit of a sissy on the field" NEXT!!

Monday night was my umpteenth last straw with this guy. Sure martin's pass to him was not great, but manu did not even try and fight for that ball. The colts LB started on his left shoulder and worked his way around manu's big backside, may have pushed him slightly while getting in front of him and took that pass away. Manu literally stopped on the route as if to call on some island bubba magic to make the ball come to him.

[email protected]#$%@&^@......!!!!!!!!!!!!

:helmet:
                                -10-20-2005, 10:39 AM
                              • general counsel
                                what an ironic way to lose
                                by general counsel
                                terrible right tackle play, debacle after debacle on special teams, no pass rush. Nevertheless, we were in position to pull it out and win and bulger, who was pretty darn terrific all game when he wasnt getting killed, makes one terrible terrible throw. no pressure on him, bruce open, just makes a bad throw, one of two terrible throws out of 56 that he made all day (the other should have been returned for an INT TD and the whiner guy dropped it.

wake up call again on special teams and tough to say what is going to happen at right tackle.

We sure did a great job stopping the run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
                              • general counsel
                                The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of our Xmas win
                                by general counsel
                                Merry New Year everyone. Sorry for the delay in getting my post game analysis up on the board, but i had to leave after the game for a xmas eve dinner at a close friend's house. I have virtually no voice left from screaming all game, but it sure was worth it.

What a fantastic football game to watch. The quality of the product the nfl puts on the field is really amazing. If you look at the records, neither of these two teams is very good. However, today was a very well played evenly matched game with only two turnovers and limited penalties. Some special teams excitement on both sides provided crucial turning points and ultimately affected the outcome. Can you imagine getting eliminated in a game where a no name kicker drills a 52 yarded with 3 minutes left while Money misses a virtual chip shot with the game on the line.

Our playoff prospects our still very tough. We need to beat minny and i believe we need three additional things to happen (unless there are additional tiebreakers i dont know about). We need to saints to beat carolina (good shot), the eagles to beat the falcons (good shot) and the redskins to beat the giants (decent shot). Having all three break our way is going to be tough, but looking at all of the games individually, i think we have a legitimate chance if we can win on our own.

The Rams showed heart today and the kind of offensive firepower that we have been waiting for all year. Against a redskins defense that had given up LESS THAN 300 YARDS each of the last two weeks against the saints and the eagles, we tallied 579 yards of total offense and 37 points with only one turnover. WE did it with a balanced attack and absolute superstar performances from both Bulger and The Big Boy. WE also did it with timely play from the defense and a very solid performance from a very young o line that played their hearts out without The Big Man.

One thing i think we can all agree on. If we win our last game and dont make it at 8-8 due to the tiebreakers, we can look back at the loss to arizona at home and clearly say that game cost us the playoffs. By far our worst loss of the season in my view, especially since we barely showed up at home against a lousy team. That is NOT the kind of loss a playoff caliber team can afford.

For this week, i am really going to enjoy being alive for another week. If we win that last game, i will be thrilled with the strong finish and the play of our young guys, especially on the o line as we look ahead to next year.

The Good

The Big Boy. LT is the best back in the NFL and an all time great. Right now, stephen jackson is the #2 overall all around back in the nfl and thats that. Gore and larry johnson are having great years, but all around, jackson has them both beat. The Big Boy is truly a manchild. The pick at #20 was a steal when we made it and Jackson can have no doubters left...
                                -12-24-2006, 08:30 PM
                              • rammiser
                                Monday morning hangover...long
                                by rammiser
                                Going from the high of a new to season to the absolute let down by my Rams has left me feeling woozy. I had hope and dreams of an improved football team that would play hard for four quarters. I saw some flashes as I did last year. Then again we only decided to play 2 quarters again.

The walking penalty box that is Incognito has got to go. He isnt all that great in the first place and constantly costs us 15 yds when he feels the need to punch guys in the chest or hit guys late. He's a mess and embarassing if you ask me. He was cheap shotting guys the whole game but was only caught twice. It's hard not to like him for his fire,i do like him. Unfortunately he isnt talented enough and neither is this team to keep putting up with his stupid mistakes.

We shelled out tons of cash for Bartell, yet Wade looked like the best corner on the field yesterday. Bartell was getting beaten on everything thrown his way. I thought for sure hed get a pi call against him on a fade route but he managed to flail his arms up just at the right time to hit the ball. If Bulger takes all the flak for being paid huge jack and not performing than Bartell should be getting killed today.

Atogwe is just flat out awesome. He is a bigtime playmaker and needs to be locked down with a huge contract. Nice job by the front office to wait so long to pay the guy that he may be a top 2 safety by the time they decide to pay him instead of a relatively good but unknown player around the NFL. Butler was a great aquisition and has raised the level of play of Atogwe. Now OJ isnt by himself back there anymore.

Finally we have a middle linebacker. Laurinitis is going to be really good. Heck he was really good yesterday. He made some mistakes but hes a rookie and was always around the ball. He absolutely did not look like a rookie. Witherspoon on the other hand seems to vanish into thin air during games anymore. I remember when we used to hear his name mentioned four or five times for big plays in games. Now I only hear his name for missing tackles and gettig hurt. Vabora had a decent game, seeing how he was a 7th round pick and is playing some half way decent football is a tribute to him as a hard worker. It is fair to say however that we may need two olb's after this year.

Our d-line is dreadful. The Seachickens had two starters out on the o-line and i'm not sure we knocked Hasselcrack over once. When we blitz it get picked up easily. Not too mention that he would take a three step drop and have 3 wide open wr's to throw to. We got no pressure and were getting gashed for four or five yds almost everytime a guy would run the ball. They did do a nice job on the goal line untill play action and of course wide open in the back of the endzone was Jay Novacek err i mean Carlson. Chris Long hustles but most of his plays are made five yds down field, I want to see him making some behind the line of...
                                -09-14-2009, 08:18 AM
                              • Nick
                                Random Thoughts on Tonight
                                by Nick
                                -I'm concerned about our running game with Marshall Faulk in the backfield. I'd feel much better about the offense with Jackson in the backfield, if only because he seems to be able to pick up some yards. Marshall looks hesitant and seems to have lost any explosiveness he may have had. At least with Jackson he'll hit a hole and shed the initial tackle, plus some of his cutbacks looked great. He's really impressed me thus far in the preseason.

-Overall, I think Marc Bulger looked good tonight. On the first drive, I thought he did well. The second drive, well, he missed three receivers completely. Not impressive. The third drive was magic, IMO. He missed Curtis on what looked like a miscommunication, but was rock solid from there. Bulger's gotta have more accuracy on those open passes. There's no excuse for not being able to hit a wide open Holt for a gain of 20+. But I think looking at the entire game, he looked good tonight.

-Chandler's deep pass to Holt on the post... I think I shed a tear. It was like God was singing. It seems obvious that Chandler's more comfortable and accurate than Bulger is right now. Both have had their miscues, but Chandler has looked more accurate and more decisive. I have to wonder what role (1) his veteran experience and (2) the defenses he's going against play in this, though. I wasn't impressed by the deep pass that was intercepted. Way too much air under the ball, I thought. But that floater to McDonald in stride for the touchdown was a thing of beauty.

-Speaking of McDonald, he and Curtis are really coming into their own this preseason. I'm very excited about what the two of these guys will be able to do for the offense. Both of them look pretty speedy with great sets of hands.

-The blocking was much better this evening. Looked like the blitzes were being picked up well (I remember Goodspeed picking up a great inside rush), but I think the dreams of having Tercero at right tackle need to end NOW. The only memories I have about him for the game was whiffing on a rush that got Bulger sacked on the first drive, and a false start penalty. Move him back into the interior, I say, because he didn't look good as a tackle at all in my opinion. Furthermore, it wasn't that great to see Nutten leave the game with an injury. This was a concern when he decided to retire from the Jets, right? Not a good sign to see it so shortly after his coming back on the field.

-Defensively, I loved what we did with our first unit. Bryce Fisher was ALL OVER THE FIELD, or so it seemed. Pisa Tinoisamoa looks like a leader on defense. He had a couple of nice tackles and a great hit early in the game. Robert Thomas had a nice play where he penetrated into the backfield and tackled Portis for a loss. I thought our run defense was improved by 200%, but I'm not convinced whether we played better pass defense or Ramsey just struggled out there. He's been unimpressive this...
                                -08-28-2004, 12:38 AM
                              Working...
                              X