Punt Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punt Returns

How many of you were as excited as I was about Dre Bly and his punt returning today? He actually showed some skill and movement in his returns and he showed a whole lot of confidence in receiving the ball, even in traffic. Very impressed with him today and I'm glad Marz finally gave the punt return duties to him. Hakim is a great guy and a great receiver, but punt returns are just critical to the turnover ratio and Bly proved himself to me today.

GO RAMS !!!:ram:

I think Bly did a great job returning punts. He finally gets a chance in the spotlight, being hidden behind McCleon and Williams all season. It's nice to know that when the opponent is punting I don't have to close my eyes in fear. Rock on, Dre.

:ram:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LaRamsFanLongTime
      Special teams
      by LaRamsFanLongTime
      Is it just me or did they look pretty good today. Kickoff and punt coverage was there. Its a new Rams world and we are living in it.
      -09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
    • LA Rammer
      Kickoff and Punt Return
      by LA Rammer
      We used to have a dangerous kickoff and punt return threat in Joe Horne and Hakim. Looking at what we have done since doesn't really bode well. Dane Looker and Brad Pyatt? Are we really concerned about starting field position? Unless these guys have some background that makes them "special" I feel that this should be addressed with some real style and speed.

I guess with an offense like ours this position might be overlooked. I hate to see us start every possession deep in their territory.
      -05-29-2006, 06:31 PM
    • RamWraith
      Rams show interest in return game
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      Tuesday, Apr. 25 2006

Most of the pre-draft talk on the Rams has concerned the need for more
      defensive help. Or a tight end. Or even the possibility of taking a quarterback
      in the first round.

But all along, the Rams have done a lot of evaluation designed to improved
      their return game - or lack thereof.

A lot of games have gone by since the heyday of Tony Horne on kickoff returns
      and Az-Zahir Hakim on punt returns. The Rams haven't finished among the top 10
      in the NFL in punt returns since 2002 and in kickoff returns since 1999.

They haven't been anywhere close to that lately. Last season, they ranked 29th
      in punt returns and 23rd in kickoff returns; in 2004, they finished 31st in
      both categories.

But it looks like the Rams are determined to change that. No fewer than seven
      of the 33 players brought into Rams Park for pre-draft visits earlier this
      month had some kind of kick return experience in college.

Some also play defensive back, or wide receiver, or running back. Or in the
      case of Miami's Devin Hester, he plays a little bit of everything.

Hester and UCLA's Maurice Drew are the highest-profile returners who visited
      Rams Park. Over his college career with the Hurricanes, Hester returned four
      punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns. He has ranked as high as sixth
      nationally in both kickoff returns (in 2003) and punt returns (in 2004).

The secret to his success? "It's really not any secret," Hester said. "It's
      just natural instinct. I'm a visual-type player who can see things before they
      happen."

What NFL teams can't see is where to play Hester when he's not returning kicks.
      He has dabbled at cornerback, running back, and wide receiver, without truly
      excelling at any. But Hester's explosiveness as a return man alone should make
      him a second- or third-round pick in the draft.

Throughout his college career, Drew was the "other" back in Los Angeles,
      playing second fiddle to Southern Cal's Reggie Bush. But Drew put up impressive
      numbers of his own, combining for more than 3,300 yards rushing and receiving.

Drew's work as a return man was somewhat limited, but electric nonetheless.
      Over the course of his college career, he averaged 23.2 yards on 25 punt
      returns - four of which went for TDs. Meanwhile, he averaged 24.6 yards on 32
      kickoff returns, including two TDs.

There are some concerns about Drew's height - he's only 5-6 1/2. The way he
      holds the football has some scouts concerned about the possibility of too many
      fumbles in the NFL.

Even so, his ability to return kicks adds value...
      -04-26-2006, 05:03 AM
    • Sanantonioram
      Our KO and Punt Return guy is in Europe
      by Sanantonioram
      And his name is Fred Russell. I watched him today and he is small and quick. Exactly what we need returning kicks.
      -03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
    • tomahawk247
      is that the longest punt we have had in a long time?
      by tomahawk247
      74 yard punt there by Turk. He really was a great signing, i hope we keep him on. He was having nearly 5 seconds of hang time punting to Hester on monday night, we need to keep him around for sure.
      -12-17-2006, 02:26 PM
    Working...
    X