Pro Bowl Starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Bowl Starters

Can someone please explain to me how the Pro Bowl Starters are named? Why is Farve starting in front of Warner? I love Farve, but Warner's total yards this season is the second most of all-time, that means ever. The rams had a better offense and a better team record. He threw more touchdowns than Farve as well. Is it because of the interception thing? I am confused.

:helmet:

Doesn't make much sense. MVP, but not a starter??:ram:

Comment

It's a popularity contest, nothing more. Kinda like a beauty pageant. Even in that light though, Warner playing backup to Favre makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Comment

:mad: Radjohns, I was thinking the same, Ok we have the MVP of the leaque and he's behind Farve!!!!! I don't understand it either!

Please could somone tell me how it works !!!!

:angryram: Go Rams
        "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

ooops faVRe..

Just spelling it like in sounds.

Comment

Not only is Warner behind Favre, but he is also behind Garcia. How can the MVP of the NFL be the third string quarterback... in his conference??? I'll go with MsWistRAM on this one, the Pro Bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. It becomes obvious when the Rams only have one defensive player representing them in the NFC, despite having the #1 defense in the conference. The Pro Bowl has lost it's charm, and is becoming more pointless as the years pass.

:shield:

Comment

The Criteria...

I don't remember where I read it (perhaps nfl.com), but they base it on 3 levels of voting, TWO of which (I can't remember the 3rd) are fans' balloting and coach's balloting.

Favre apparently received more votes than KW in two of the three levels - so he gets the start. So yes, it is ABSOLUTELY a popularity contest.

What I find particularly amusing, is the Denver media were pitching a fit about one the Broncos' linebackers not being named in spite of registering 110 tackles. I had to laugh, because London Fletcher had that in about week 10. You know, I'd just as soon see NONE of our guys go because I can see NO good that comes of it - other than their own personal achievement. The risk of injury far outweighs any benefit. I wish they'd all just say "Bite me, I'll take my superbowl ring and go home."

Comment

Everyone harken back to three years ago, when our only consolation was getting maybe one player in the pro bowl every other year. How we hated those teams that could put four or five in the game. How difficult it was to spot the golden horns in the huddle, when there were so few...

Having reached the summit, let us not now forget our less fortunate NFL brethren, and the pain they must be going through. Grant them this one small boon...please allow them, with no rancor, to don their helmets atop those g'dawful pro bowl uniforms as recompense for the pain they are continuously dealt at the hands of the Rams...

Let us continue to send token representation to this game to autograph the helmets and elbow pads of the vanquished, and, perhaps, allow them a glimpse of the coveted ring our men wear so proudly...

Amen...

:lid:

Comment

As djccon explained, the fans vote, the coaches vote and the players vote. each poll counts to one third of the players rating. where there is a tie in two of the polls the fans vote is used as the tiebreaker and as Favre was the top vote getter in the fans poll hence he starts. But we dont have to like it

Comment

I have ALWAYS hated All Star Games, but my lone refuge was in the Pro Bowl, but not after this year. I think they all suck, they are all a joke, they are ALL rigged.

It's ridiculous, scrap the BCS in college football and implement it in ASG voting, maybe that way the most deserving actually go, computers don't play favorites.

Comment

I agree with DJRamfan. I hate all the all-star games. They are over rated and plain boring. No player in pro sports do not play all out because of injury. It's kinda like Moss who plays when he wants to, think about it, a game of all Moss's. Crap football!

I love hockey but I will never watch an all-star hockey game, no one is out for blood and it's very boring. :ram: :shield:

Go Rams! get the packers!:evilram:

Comment

It's Hawaii. Just an opportunity for the players to take a vacation. Once they get there, playing football isn't really on their minds. Most are so dinged up by the end of the season, they don't really feel like getting hit again without a good reason. As dinged up as Warner is going into playoffs, I'm sure he's not that concerned about not being a starter. Probably more of a relief. I get a bigger kick out of the pregame contests anyway.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• thoey
                          Fox, Temple Hill Acquire Super Bowl MVP QB Kurt Warner’s Life Rights For Feature
                          by thoey
                          I wanted to put this on the Rams page, but guess it should go here instead...

Fox, Temple Hill Acquire Super Bowl MVP QB Kurt Warner’s Life Rights For Feature

By MIKE FLEMING JR | Monday July 29, 2013 @ 2:31pm PDTTags: 20th Century Fox, Kurt Warner, Movie Deal, NFL, Temple Hill
                          Comments (7)
                          Mike Fleming

EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox has acquired the life rights to develop a feature based on the life of Kurt Warner, who went from stocking shelves at a grocery store for $5.50 an hour to become one of the most prolific passers in NFL history. The film will be produced by Temple Hill partners Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, and part of the rights package will include Warner’s autobiography All Things Possible: My Story Of Faith, Football And The Miracle Season. Warner’s about the closest thing you’ll find to being the antithesis of scandal-scarred jocks like Lance Armstrong or A-Rod. His single-season stats stack up favorably to football’s great passers, but what distinguishes Warner — and makes for a strong, feel-good underdog story — is how much adversity and futility he had to overcame before getting a chance. He’s like Rudy, if that Notre Dame practice player had a cannon arm.

Warner, considered to be the best undrafted player ever, won two NFL MVP Awards and quarterbacked the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowl appearances (winning one), and he would later lead the Arizona Cardinals to another Super Bowl appearance. It took him years to even get the league to notice him. Playing college ball for Northern Iowa, Warner was skipped over in the draft and then cut by the Green Bay Packers as an unheralded free agent who became odd man out competing against Brett Favre, vet Mark Brunell and Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer. After stints stocking shelves and then returning to school as a grad assistant to support his family, Warner got a shot in Arena Football and made the most of it, lighting up the league over two seasons. His next NFL chance was supposed to come when a tryout was extended by the Chicago Bears, but a spider bite on his throwing elbow nixed his chance. That chance came when the St. Louis Rams signed him in 1998, only to send him to Europe to play, and then let him rot on the bench. The following season, when first-string passer Trent Green got injured in preseason, Warner took over and put on an aerial display that shocked the league and even his own coaches. He became the first player to throw three TD passes in each of his first three games, finished the season with 41 and winning league MVP. He then led the Rams to victory in Super Bowl XXXIV, winning Super Bowl MVP honors. Warner retired in 2010.

Said Warner: “For so long people have told me my life story would make a great movie. I am humbled and thrilled to have found a team as excited as I am to make that happen.”

Godfrey said the deal...
                          -07-30-2013, 02:08 PM
                        • CarolinaRam
                          MVP Introductions: Kurt Warner
                          by CarolinaRam
                          In todays Super Bowl pregame, it was nice to hear those words:

St. Louis Rams, Kurt Warner

A nice idea to have many of the past SB MVPs to come out of the tunnel. A lot of history there. Some guys showed a little more personality than others.
                          -02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
                        • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                          Faith driving Warner in another Super Bowl pursuit
                          by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                          Faith driving Warner in another Super Bowl pursuit
                          by Mark Kriegel FOXSports

I'm less than comfortable with the apparent epidemic of religiosity among our nation's quarterbacks.

First, Colt McCoy, fresh from a thrilling win over Ohio State, begins his post-game comments by thanking his "lord and savior Jesus Christ."

Then there's Tim Tebow, whose game and demeanor I rather like, changing the Bible verse he endorses on his eye-black, from "Philippians 4:13" to "John 3:16." As if that might make the difference.

Personally, my own taste in quarterbacks runs toward the epic old-school debauchers, guys like Kenny Stabler and Joe Namath. If I go to Hell for that, then so be it. I refuse to believe that God — anyone's God — has a rooting interest in the outcome of something as secular and perverse as a BCS game.

But now football fans direct their attentions to Arizona, where one of American sports' most prominent God Squaders — Arizona Cardinal quarterback Kurt Warner — takes on the Philadelphia Eagles for the right to go to the Super Bowl. And I can't help but think that the religious guys are, well, blessed with an advantage, a big one at that.

Actually, the issue isn't really religion. It's faith. I don't care what or whom a ballplayer believes in: Jesus, Moses, Buddha, L. Ron Hubbard. I don't care what his position is on stem cell research, abortion, gay rights. But a system of belief — any system, really — that stills the mind and quells doubt is of obvious benefit, particularly if you're an athlete.

Warner's case is as instructive as it is well-known. In 1994, after being cut by the Green Bay Packers, he found himself working the nightshift at a Hy-Vee grocery store near his alma mater, that noted football factory known as Northern Iowa. By 1999, he'd won a Super Bowl ring and the first of his two MVP awards.

His appearance as the starter in Sunday's NFC championship game marks yet another absurdly improbable comeback. Warner had been let go by the Rams and the Giants. His career as anything but a spot starter had been pronounced dead years ago. In his several years in Arizona, he's been a backup to Josh McCown and Matt Leinart, who was named the starter for the 2008 season. Now, having thrown for more than 5,000 yards this season, Warner has a chance to deliver the Cardinals — the Cardinals! — to the Super Bowl.

On some cognitive level, Warner had to know what the rest of us understood too well. Grocery clerks don't often make it to the NFL. Iowa Barnstormers don't go on to become Super Bowl MVPs. Nor do old men beat out Heisman Trophy winners. For Warner to have considered his predicaments in rational terms might well have killed his dream. Statistical analysis frequently inflicts a death by discouragement. But, then, a guy like Warner isn't playing the odds. He's working...
                          -01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
                          It is possible that I have uncovered the "Biggest Enemy of the Truth"
                          by Guest
                          If I could crawl through the phone line I'd grab this poor excuse of a human being by his tie and head butt him until he admitted that all he is capable of writing is tabloid bile.

I give you Ralph Wiley. (Currently sleazing around at espn.com)

{BEGIN}
                          Kurt Warner was awful before breaking his pinkie, so how good will he be upon his return?
                          Kurt Warner
                          So what if his passing rating is a lifetime 107.0, or whatever? Who even knows what that means? I follow the NFL, know the history of it, have studied it loosely, and I don't know what it means. If it means the likes of Warner, his current nemesis Marc Bulger and Jim Zorn are among the 10 best quarterbacks ever to play, then maybe the NFL quarterback rating is the real Fraud here.

There's plenty of fraud left for Warner. The purist would point out Warner amassed big stats by being the happy beneficiary of a 1970s secret experiment of having pronghorn antelope, impala and bighorn sheep recombinant DNA injected into the ovum of the mothers of men named Holt, Bruce, Hakim, Proehl, Faulk and Canidate. Once assembled in St. Louis, they ran crazy, Martzian pass routes, catching Warner's passes, then using them like relay batons, staging a track meet in always perfect conditions on an artificial surface Jesse Owens would've run an 8.3 on. Under those terms, my grandmother would have a rating of 100.3, and she's dead. Warner's "rating" is the best of all time. Bulger's rating of 106.7 is second-best all time, yet he's only played five games.

Fact or Fraud?

A purist would point out that of the three biggest games of Warner's career, he won the first two, including an 11-6 squeaker over Tampa Bay in the 2000 NFC Championship Game. Eleven whole points, on that fast track, with that menagerie! Purists in Tampa point out Proehl bailed out Warner with a great end zone catch. (Tampa purists wonder if it was a catch at all, and say if it was a catch, then it surely was a catch Bert Emanuel made when they were driving for the winning TD a few minutes later; and yet Shaun King is nobody's Legend. Except at Tulane, where they still think highly of him, for some reason.)

In that year's Super Bowl against Tennessee, the Volunteer State purists say the Rams only won the game when Warner heaved up a prayer with less than two minutes left that the impalalike Bruce waited on for days to come down, then cut back underneath coverage, then cut back around a dazed safety Anthony Dorsett to complete the play. Warner got MVP for that?

But then, of course, Steve McNair wasn't as fortunate, and the Titans came up a yard short. This gave Dick Vermeil a Super Bowl ring after 20 years of walking in the wilderness, and set in motion his departure from St. Louis, then his arrival in Kansas City, with Trent Green, a QB who'd legitimately beaten out Warner, but who then lost his job because of...
                          -05-06-2005, 01:05 AM
                        • radjohns
                          Super Bowl MVP
                          by radjohns
                          I'm not sure if this is the job of a moderator, but I would like to predict the super bowl mvp.

If the rams win: K. Warner

If the Patriots win: A. Smith

I put Wistrom down first, but decided that Kurt will need to shoulder the majority of the rams offense for a win, as I think Marshall is still recovering from the eagles game. On the other hand something tells me that our D could be the key to a ram victory.

Go rams!

-02-02-2002, 09:00 PM
                        Working...
                        X