Rams Packers Statistical Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Packers Statistical Comparison

Shocking, that is how I would describe it. I just looked at the regular season comparisons on cnnsi.com at the following link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...s-Packers.html

:ram: I watch these stats religiously just to do my own little sick comparisons of who SHOULD win the game. Yes, the Rams are usually statistically superior, HOWEVER, this game is particularly lopsided.

:cool: Special teams, yes, that is right, special teams, we hold an advantage in this department, can you believe that?

All in all there are 32 categories of stats and the Rams are superior in 30 of the 32. That is the biggest gap I've seen this year since the Detroit game.

One key point is that the one category GB has on us is points per game, but not by much.

KEY TO GAME: TURNOVERS
    ADVANTAGE RAMS AT HOME WITH CROWD AND ON TURF !!!

GO RAMS

Another thing that is kind of shocking is how average GB is to the rest of the NFL. They hover just around the NFL average in all the categories. Yes, they have beat some very good teams this year. This Rams team is different though. They haven't seen this yet, and it will stun them. I look for the Rams to really exploit a slow secondary right from the get go.

Good thread mx. :lid:

Comment

Figures don't lie, only liars figure...

MX,

Well, gosh oh golly, I guess the RAMS don't really need to play this game. We'll just come out hold up a clipboard and say, "you lose". Just kidding.... :-)

Please let me add a few "pertinent facts" relating to how these statistics were compiled.

1. Green Bay had to play at least 8 home games outside in the weather on "actual grass". One might expect that offensive-play related stats would suffer under these conditions. And please note: there is not a big difference in many of these stats between the RAMs and Packers.

2.One of the most critical stats, "turnovers" heavily favors the Packers. One might conclude that this stat is a "point-bearing" statistic that cancels out many other stats: hence Green Bay's winning record.

I would hope the RAMS continue to note this anomaly and pay close attention to it at game time.

In another thread it might be mentioned that another statistical library be assembled for 'Dome based" teams........
      :ram:

Comment

Look at it from this point of view on the turnovers guys: majority happened in two games. I think the turnover stat for the Rams is skewed. Since the Bucs game, turnovers have not been a factor.

The natural grass is a good point also, and yes they are built for grass and for the 8 home games, but that is why the stat of them being the 19th ranked pass defense is pertinent. The Packers secondary isn't the speediest team in the world. The main interception last week was somewhat skewed by the fact Garcia underthrew the ball. Owens had 3 steps on Mackenzie, and no way does the safety make it in time if the ball was on target. The whiners wideouts were behind the DB's all day, Garcia couldn't get the ball to them outside. This game is indoors, that secondary could get torched.
        Last edited by txramsfan; -01-15-2002, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Oh NO! I underestimated the Rams score and overestimated the Packers in my prediction. Oh well!;)

Comment

Hey Bud4Wiser

Take a pill. Oh Gosh Oh Gee. Sarcasm must be in your diet you chump.

The stats don't lie. Yes the stats are close and yes the Packers played games on grasss.

As a Rams fan, I get sick and tired of people using the Dome vs Grass argument. This year, the Rams are 4-0 on grass outside.

Here are the teams they beat on the road on grass:

San Fransisco
            NY Jets
            NE Patriots
            Carolina

Three of those four are playoff teams. Don't forget, the Rams schedule was FAR TOUGHER than Green Bay's so the fact that the Rams dominate them statistically DOES mean something. It means that they consistently played better. End of story.

Even with the turnover ratio favoring the Packers, the Rams "on paper" are superior. Imagine if the Rams keep it to two turnovers or less each game, they COMPLETELY dominate anybody and they go 16-0.

Do they still play the game, of course you dope.

But by all means (here comes the sarcasm) let's hang our hats on the Rams not being tough outdoors on grass and let's also hang our hat on turnovers. Gimme a break ! I'm sick of guys like you always bringing up this lame crap.

Comment

Stats and Domes

MX,

I was trying to point out that the teams that play outdoors may not be able to produce offensive statistics as easily as dome-based teams. Usually more often than not because of the weather, not necessarily the grass or surface.

I continue to think that eventually NFL fans will realize that dome-based team statistics do not accurately reflect performance comparisons to non-dome-based teams.

Please accept my apology, I did not intend to slight your football knowledge or make fun of you or your post.

You make some good points. :ram:

Comment

My Bad

Once again, my temper overrides my intelligence. Bud4Wiser accept my apology as well please. You are correct in that outdoor teams dealing with the elements, either cold or hot, have a distinct disadvantage in terms of statistical production.

At this point in the week, while I continue to count down to the game on Sunday, I find myself looking for any way to make myself feel more confidence in the outcome of the game.

Sorry for taking such a quick reaction to your reply. GO RAMS !!!

Comment

I knew Rams fans would stick together.

Actually, for me, this is kind of the fun part of the game. Being the beancounter that I am, statistics do mean something. If not, then no one would use them. The stats can get skewed on both sides, but how you read and interpret them is the key.

This week, the game just happens to be in a dome. When looking at the stats, and the stats don't play the game, it is quite evident that a blow out by the Rams should occur. However, I have yet to see a stat score a TD.

:lid:

Comment

This stuff is great……..I had no idea the RAMS had done so well statistically !! Gives me more confidence about Sunday’s game.

Thanks mxbrian for bringing this to our attention.

Great post!

Always
                    A
                    RAMS
                    Fan

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Comment

Those stats are very pleasing to see as a Rams' fan, but keep in mind these are the playoffs. One stat that is also lopsided is comebacks (when losing at the end of the third quarter). This factor is huge in the playoffs, and they aren't exactly lopsided in the Rams' direction. Let's hope that the Rams get off to a great start!

:shield:

Comment

Time has slowed down this week!

I dont know about you guys,but my nerves have been short circuiting all week.This has been,by far,the longest week of the season.I cant wait for Sunday!I also love following stats,but I dont get a lot of comfort with them being so lopsided.I guess I am not yet used to the Rams being so heavily favored.Oh well,thats why I love this game so much.The build-up can be almost as intense as the game itself.The Packers worry me,but I am confident that we will win.If we take care of the football and tighten up on special teams and keep Favre in check we will be fine.I sure hope Warner is 100% come game time.Anyway,thank you guys for letting me Ramble.I feel better now.;)

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
                        Last edited by Aries51; -01-16-2002, 09:25 PM.
                        ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

Defense !!!

Here is my bet. You haven't seen the best of the Rams defense yet this year. My bet is that Little and Wistrom put pressure on Favre all day and the Rams play with excellent intensity and shut down the Packers all day. This frees up the offense to play downhill and stretch their arms a bit. Barring injury and turnovers, the Rams should take care of business. Green Bay has a slow secondary, built for the bigger receivers in the Norris division. They'll be shocked at the speed they see and after a couple of fatal mistakes, they'll have to play way back allowing Warner and Faulk to eat up the middle of the field.

I'm jacked !!!

GO RAMS

Comment

Aries, it seems like a long week because it's been 2 weeks! I know how you feel, but I'm really not that anxious about the game itself. Impatient to see the game maybe, but not anxious. Earlier in the season they made me anxious, but the way the Rams have been playing of late has put my fears to rest.

Comment

Packer fan responds...

Hope you guys don't mind, but it's pretty dull at our board... I guess no one really wants to shoot their mouth off about this game, can't blame them.

First of all, since this in response to the posts about stats... I'm sure none of you are really all that hung up on them, as the game situations and coaching styles have so much to do with them. I'm not downplaying them because I'm a packer fan and you hold the edge in almost every category, obviously they are an indicator of overall performance of the teams, but this is the playoffs, nothing means anything, except the performance on Sunday.

As for my take on the game... You're a favorite for a reason, but I give my team more of a chance than most probably do for a few reasons.

What does G.B. have to do?

Ahman Green... when he's on, defenders get sick of tackling him real fast. I'm not downplaying Faulk at all... he's the man, everyone knows that, but G.B. can keep the ball out of Warner's hands if it comes down to it. This WILL open up the game for Favre.

NOW, Green is a non-issue if we're forced to play catch-up. So the real question is... "How the heck do you do that?" Pressure Warner, first and fore-most, and hope he makes a mistake. I give our secondary a little more of a chance than a lot of people, although not much. Sharper and Mckensie need to step up. The Giants got in Warners face and should've won that game, had it not been for a holding penalty to take them out of F.G. range, they probably would've. This makes situational players like Gbaja-Biamilla incredibly important in the pash rush. He's a speed rusher and one of the people on the Packers that the turf helps. Slowing down the Rams offense is a daunting task, but the one that they absolutely have to accomplish if they are to win the game, since they can't get into a situation where they're trading scores.

IF G.B. can come through on defense, I don't mean a shutout, they can bend, but not break, and they need to create at least two turnovers, then it comes down to number 4. Sherman has played many games this year very conservatively. He seems to be careful in the first half of games not to show teams too much on offense, then take the game away in the third quarter. The niner's game is an example of this. In the second half they went down the field like they weren't even there. For us to win he's got to get the lead out immediately. 3 and outs just aren't an option. Favre can win any game for his team, but they need to give him an opportunity.

-deep breath- The Rams are a favorite for a good reason, and if I was a betting man my money'd be on them, but if it just came down to stats, there'd be no reason to play the game.

Congrats on a good season and good luck.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Rams are one bad team in loss to Packers - and that's not good
                                by RamWraith
                                By Bryan Burwell
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                11/30/2004

With an entire football nation serving as witnesses, the Rams showed us on "Monday Night Football" that they are playing like a team that doesn't want to be in the playoffs, and now clearly doesn't deserve the privilege, either.

What else can you conclude after watching the Rams turn their primetime showdown against the Green Bay Packers into a painful and embarrassing comedy of errors that led to a 45-17 loss in storied Lambeau Field? The Rams came into this game with a chance to not only reclaim the division lead in the sorry NFC West but also to re-establish themselves as a good football team.

By the end of the night, they had failed miserably at both tasks.

The 5-6 Rams are a bad football team. Getting bludgeoned on national television by 28 points is proof enough on its own. But over six weeks, the Rams have lost four of their past five games by scores of 31-14, 40-22, 37-17 and 45-17. That's proof beyond a reasonable doubt. That is evidence so damning that the Rams brass ought to be busy making plans for the NFL draft and stop wasting their time trying to figure out what sort of miracles must be conjured up to reach the NFL playoffs.

The Rams are so bad at this point that in a division where the sorry, fraudulent and incredibly inconsistent Seattle Seahawks treat the division lead with all the respect of dirt under their fingernails, the Rams still can't lead this weak NFC West.

All the old familiar patterns of self-inflicted abuse were in full effect Monday night. Don't blame it on any mystical Lambeau magic or the remarkable will of Packers living legend Brett Favre, who certainly lit up the Rams defense. Don't blame it on the cold weather or playing on the road, or any other convenient excuse.

This was not about any of that. This was about the Rams and their absolute inability to win games that matter. This was the sort of game they used to win with startling regularity. These were the sort of games the old championship-tested Rams used to win in their sleep. They were 8-0 in prime time since the 2002 season, but things have changed a lot since then, haven't they? This 2004 Rams team is filled with players who don't understand how to win anymore. The championship roster has dwindled down to a precious too few seasoned veterans who know what it takes to seize championship opportunity.

It's been a while since we've seen stuff like this in Rams Nation, so let us refresh your memories in these dying days of a dynasty on the decline. This was a game that perfectly illustrates how bad teams play against good ones. Bad teams allow good teams to beat them.

Another pedestrian running back had a career game against this porous and clueless defense. Add the not-so-legendary Najeh Davenport to the list of opposing tailbacks who have romped...
                                -11-30-2004, 06:25 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                [Packers] Packers timing it just right
                                by DJRamFan
                                Green Bay has won five straight since it flopped in its last appearance on 'Monday Night Football'

By Todd McMahon
                                News-Chronicle
                                There was a time, not long ago, when a general consensus had formed that the Green Bay Packers' time was all but up in the 2004 season.

They left a national TV audience equal parts flabbergasted and appalled the evening of Oct. 11. The Tennessee Titans stormed Lambeau Field and battered the Packers into submission by way of a 48-27 defeat, the most points ever surrendered by the home team at its sacred stadium.

Like that, the two-time reigning NFC North champions had sunk to the unfathomable low of being at the bottom of the division with a 1-4 record spun out of a four-game losing streak.

That was the last time the Packers had a co-starring role on ABC's "Monday Night Football." My, how the times have changed in the seven weeks leading up to their return engagement - and there's more to it than the network's catching flak for one of its desperate housewives baring herself to Philadelphia star receiver Terrell Owens in a recent pregame locker-room spoof.

At 8 tonight, the coast-to-coast TV audience will be introduced to a Green Bay team that has taken on a new, albeit familiar identity. All the Packers have been doing since bombing in their last "MNF" episode is win.

They put a five-game winning streak on the line against St. Louis (5-5) at Lambeau Field. At stake for the 6-4 Packers is maintaining a hold on the NFC North lead, a concept that seemed a pipe dream in the wake of the debacle against the Titans.

"We know how it feels to be 1-4. That feels pretty bad. We've been through that, and we don't want to go back there," said right guard Marco Rivera.

No turning, or looking, back is precisely the outlook head coach Mike Sherman drilled into his players' heads Wednesday morning. It was his first meeting with the team since addressing it late last Sunday night, following its gritty 16-13 comeback win at Houston in another prime-time game.

He paralleled what transpired in those four quarters to how the Packers' season has unfolded to date.

A 13-3 deficit through a dismal three quarters mirrored their 1-4 start in the win-loss ledger. "In that game, things weren't looking very good," Sherman reflected.

Lo and behold, the Packers caught fire in the final 15 minutes to score 13 unanswered points, pulling out the victory on Ryan Longwell's 46-yard field goal as time expired. A microcosm of how they've rallied in the past month and a half to string together the five wins.

"The guys hung together throughout the game; they believed in themselves," Sherman continued with the analogy. "You're down 13-3 going into the fourth quarter, and guys battled back. I thought...
                                -11-29-2004, 02:21 PM
                              • RamsInfiniti
                                Rams must attack deep seams to loosen up Packers D ...
                                by RamsInfiniti
                                Once a solid aspect of the Packer's squad, they suddently find themselves thin and weak at the safety position.

Hard-hitting Atari Bigby is out for Sunday's game. Ballhawk Nick Collins is questionable with a chest injury. They uexpectedly cut Bigby's replacement, Aaron Rouse, on Wednesday. If these players are out, it leaves only Charlie Peprah, and Matt Giordano, who was brought off the street to replace Rouse, as the only true safeties available on the roster. 4th year CB Derrick Martin, would also figure into this mix.

None of the three available safeties are very physical, or very big. Expect the Rams to try to get Robinson deep in the seams to attack the deepest levels of the weakened Packer secondary. If we can force these safeties back, Jackson could potentially see some huge gaps later in the game ...

It will be interesting to see how this coaching staff attacks an exposed weakness like the Packers have in this instance. The previous regime would fail miserably. I have faith that this group will succeed ...

This Ram's team has played hard on the road. They'll be pumped up to show the home crowd what they are all about. This is a winnable game, as long as we attack. We must win the turnover battle to stand any chance ...

Hopefully, we play very aggressive on D. Both our corners run sub 4.4 40's. Expect a heavy blitz from the Rams, as they rely on the speed of our corners and intelligence of our safeties to prevent the big play downfield ...
                                -09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Its "300" Week for the Rams
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                The Rams can't win this week.

Those of you who know me, or have read my posts over the years, know exactly how difficult it was for me to even type those words.

But let's be real here. The Rams are a mess. The O line is out of sync. The receiving corps can't catch a cold. The DBs can't catch a break.

Against that backdrop, the Rams have to travel to Green Bay to play the defending champs, who are playing like they are ready for a repeat. The Packers strengths - passing game, pass rush - are perfectly designed to take advantage of the Rams' weaknesses.

All signs lead to a bloodbath.

And so, I choose to borrow from popular culture and suggest that the Rams' model this week should be the Spartans of 300. They too faced certain doom against a vastly superior opponent. But into battle they nonetheless rushed, determined to show their opponents that they would not lie down and die. In the end, they lost - but their inspiration lead to victory on a later date.

The Ram need to show the Packers, and the rest of the NFL, that they still have some fight in them, and that they can still inflict damage. Steven Jackson needs to pound the Packers' front 7. The O line needs to find a way to give Bradford the time to throw against a somewhat suspect Packers' defensive backfield. The defense needs to pressure and hit Aaron Rodgers.

In the end, the Rams will lose. Probably by a significant margin.

But that does not mean that this won't be the week that the Rams turn things around.

Is this madness?
                                -10-10-2011, 07:18 AM
                              • Azul e Oro
                                Packers offensive woes sound familiar
                                by Azul e Oro
                                by Tom Fanning, Packers.com
                                posted 09/24/2009

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers said this week that Green Bay's offense is at its best when it can find a rhythm, but their struggles on first and second down have contributed to the Packers' inability to develop that during the first two games.

After ranking fifth in the league in 2008 in third-down conversions with a 44.2 percentage, the offense has seen a drop-off there through the first two weeks of this season, converting just 10-of-27 (37.0 percent) opportunities, which ranks tied for 20th in the NFL.

"I think we need to help (Aaron) more, and number one is winning more on first and second down and creating better third-down situations for him to be competitive in," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "Our biggest problem on offense is the down-and-distances we have been playing in generated by the negative plays we have had."

The Packers' 17 negative plays through two games, which doesn't include penalties, are the second most in the league, behind only Minnesota's 19. Besides the league-leading 10 sacks Green Bay has allowed, it also has had six negative rushing plays and one passing play that lost yardage.

That has played a large part in the Packers' need to pick up 10 yards or more 12 times on 27 third downs, second only to San Francisco's 16. In 2008 when the offense converted at a higher clip, Green Bay faced third-and-10 or more just 57 times all season.

"When you are putting yourselves in third-and-12s, third-and-16s, third-and-20s, guys know they can pin their ears back and come after you," guard Daryn Colledge said. "We have got to run the ball well, establish it, and put ourselves in some short down-and-distances and let A-Rod and these receivers do what they do best."

Of those 12 third-and-10-plus situations in the first two games, the Packers converted just one of them, a 22-yard pass from Rodgers to tight end Jermichael Finley on a third-and-10 on Green Bay's final possession against Cincinnati.

Of the Packers' 27 third-down plays, 16 of them (59.3 percent) have been third-and-8 or more, with just two conversions. Compare that to the 8-of-11 (72.7 percent) third downs they have converted when they are looking at third-and-7 or less, and the impact of the negative-yardage plays is obvious.

Getting into those improved third-down situations starts with production on first down, and that hasn't been there to this point either. Green Bay has gained just 213 yards on the opening down, second to last in the NFL, as the Packers rank last in the league in average yards to go on second down at 9.37.

That number has also been impacted by the sacks that the Packers have allowed, with six of the 10 coming on first down for a total yardage loss of 42 yards. It only makes sense that when they are facing long-yardage situations...
                                -09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
                              Working...
                              X