RAMS NATION TALK

Collapse

Rams bounce broncos 23-20; The Good, Bad and Ugly

The road warrior Rams pushed their record to 6-0 with a hard fought victory in Denver. Overcoming some highly suspect play calling, subpar red zone play, lousy field goal kicking, shaky pass blocking and off target qb play, the Rams rode a dominant 200 plus yard performance by Todd Gurley and a solid defensive effort to emerge with a 23-20 win. Another example of the Rams winning a game where they certainly didn't play their best, this time struggling on the offensive side of the ball for the first time this year. While the win is certainly great news, seeing Kupp back on the field, even for a few plays in the second half, was amazing given that he left in the first half on the cart and was unable to put any weight on his knee. That looked like a season ending injury and the fact that xrays proved negative at halftime is a terrific break for the Rams, who got banged up throughout this game.

The Good

Gurley was sensational and so was the run blocking. Career high of 208 yards on 28 carries and 2 td's. The numbers would have been considerably higher had McVay pounded Gurley even more often when it was clear that denver wasn't stopping him. As a team we ran for 270 yards on 39 carries!

The defense played very well, giving up 20 points, 7 of which came in garbage time and 7 of which came after the rams turned the ball over on their own 13 yard line. Littleton played well again, especially in coverage. Joyner and Donald had sacks. We caught a big break and took advantage of it when Sanders was ruled down on the 1 yard line and was penalized 15 yards for taunting. The defense held denver to a field goal on that series which was really important. We also stopped them on a big fourth down right before halftime and gave the offense back the ball at midfield (which the offense could not convert). Excellent INT by Johnson off the deflection by Littleton which could have led to the knock out punch if not for some bizarre play calling and then a bad INT deep in our own zone. Especially noteworthy was the run defense, where we held denver to 60 yards on 17 carries, some of which were Keenum scrambles. We also improved massively on third and fourth down, holding denver to a combined 3-11. I would still like to see better pass rush, especially in the second half, but i appreciate the altitude is a fatigue issue and Donald continues to get held on play after play.

Another strong performance by Woods, 7-109 and effectively the game clinching play on the wide receiver screen on 3rd and 12 which went for 14 yards. Don't ask me where that play was all game, i guess it was hiding in the same place that the screen passes to Gurley were hiding. Wood also had a couple of nice runs.

Goff had some nice throws and a huge scramble for a first down in the fourth quarter. See below for more commentary on Goff.
Cairo made three field goals and didn't miss an extra point. See below for more...

My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!

The Rams are now 6-0!!!! They defeated the Broncos and the cold weather 23-20...........

1) GURLEY First time Rams had a rusher over 200 yards since 2001........His name ?? Marshall Marshall Marshall Todd is just amazing. On a day when the passing game was mediocre at best, Todd literally carried the offense. Some outstanding blocking and holes for number 30 as well as just grinding it out on his own! career best day rushing

2) Robert Woods......What a great singing last year. This guy is fast, agile and has great hands. Over 100 yds receiving and some key first downs

3) Run D. after last two weeks Rams clamp down on the run forcing early punts giving Rams a chance to build a lead. 3.5 yd average today.....much better

4) Cooper Kupp.....After what appeared to be a major injury, Kupp returns for a series before McVay tells him to sit down Here is hoping he s ok

5) Wade He did what he had to do with the run d. Let's not let up next week against the Whiners

A win is a win..........6-0 in NFL not easy at all.............

Random Thoughts

I'm compelled to share a few thoughts prior to GC's usual comprehensive write-up.

Rams won ugly today. The offense looked disjointed for the first time this season. Give Denver credit for coming to play, putting pressure on Goff and making our receivers (except for Woods, who was excellent) a non-factor. Unfortunately for them, they couldn't also contain Gurley, who was nothing short of outstanding. A tremendous performance by him.

After showing pretty good discipline thru the first 5 games, we had way too many penalties today, including several that extended drives and made life more difficult than it needed to be.

Our defensive backs need to look in the mirror. They did not do a good job today, allowing yet another receiver, Emmanuel Sanders, to run roughshod over them. We can't continue to lean on the "Talib is hurt" excuse. Next man up. Get the job done.

I thought Sean McVay did a poor job of play calling today. There's no guy I'd rather have coaching us, but today, his insistent, almost Martz-like compunction to throw the ball when Gurley was pounding Denver had me fuming. 3rd and 3 with a chance at a possible first down or easy FG and instead of running Gurley, he calls a play where Goff takes a huge loss and Santos then misses the 47 yard FG. Could've extended the lead and didn't. The 3rd down pass which deflected off Reynolds' helmet was also a high-risk play which was unnecessary. McVay also seemingly abandoned the run for the better part of the 2nd quarter before coming back to it more in the 2nd half.

Needless to say both amazed and extremely happy Kupp came back. No way I thought that would be happening after being taken off on a cart. Longacre and Brockers also both left the game and later came back- good news again.

I thought Malcolm Brown did a nice job, getting good yardage as Gurley got a breather.

Rams are a long way from being league laughingstocks and now have a target on their backs every week. It will get tougher before it gets easier, with games vs. GB, NO, CHI and divisional game vs Seattle all coming up soon. Ecstatic we're 6-0, but can't rest on our laurels. As we know, things can change in a hurry in the NFL

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
There are no conversations in this channel.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
  • Sort By
  • Order
Clear All
Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Ram Dragoon, -09-03-2018, 04:12 PM
3 responses
0 likes
Last Post KoaKoi
by KoaKoi