• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner to Proehl in '99

Re: Warner to Proehl in '99

testing...testing.

Comment

Absolutely incredible. Captain Kurt's all time best throw and a truly spectacular catch. You cant cover any better than that. Meanwhile, you see the shot warner took after he let it go?

That is the most underated play of the super bowl season. Everyone remembers ike's td to win it all and of course the tackle, but without the catch, we never make it to the big dance.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Great post, hadn't seen that play in a while. Even now when I know the outcome I'm still thinking "no way that's going to be a complete pass" when I watch it. The cornerback is *right* on him if that pass isn't 100% perfect it's not a completion. But it was.

Comment

Awesome to see again. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• masi
            Warner vs. Marino
            by masi
            Yesterday i had a discussion with a friend who is a huge Dan Marino's fan. He said that Dan's records will never nbe broken and that our Kurt Warner should be renamed Kurt "one-year-wonder" Warner, because he'll not be able to repeat 1999 and 2000 numbers.
            I think Kurt has all the skills to reach and surpass most of the Marino achievements, and i'm realy convinced that without the injury, a lot of Marino's record would have already be broken last season.

And... Kurt has one thing marino will never have: a ring :cool: :cool: :cool:
            -06-18-2001, 12:54 PM
          • RamWraith
            Warner comes so very close to magical win
            by RamWraith
            By Bernie Miklasz
            St. Louis Post-Dispatch
            09/18/2005

TEMPE, ARIZ. For a few precious moments you could close your eyes, let your imagination and sentiment lift you up and take you on a return trip to another place in another time. Back in the day, nothing seemed impossible for Kurt Warner. He'd take the Rams on these magical journeys to the end zone, and NFL defenses were helpless to stop him.

So on Sunday at Sun Devil Stadium, with Arizona trailing Warner's former team 17-12, Warner got the ball and a last chance with just under 2 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. It was hot as a barbecue pit down on the field, but Warner calmly completed all six of his passing attempts, picking up key parcels of real estate totaling 76 yards. And suddenly the Cardinals were 5 yards from the end zone and a winning touchdown.

Old No. 13 was on the brink of recapturing his brilliant past. He was about to take down Mike Martz, he was about to upstage Marc Bulger, he was about to give his fiercely loyal fans a reason to clear their throats for delirious I-told-you-so calls to the Monday sports-radio talk shows.

"That's what you're thinking - 'Here we go.' All we need is one. One play, one shot, one touchdown," Warner said. "And we win the game. Perfect scenario, perfect place to be in."

But this is 2005, not 1999, and Warner plays for the Arizona Cardinals now. They've been a work in progress since 1947, when the franchise last captured an NFL championship. So the ending was almost predictable: Safety Adam Archuleta swooped in on a rare and belated Rams blitz and sacked Warner. With the final seconds ticking away, Cardinals coach Dennis Green wasted time getting new personnel onto the field. Next, an Arizona lineman moved prematurely; a penalty flag went up, and time expired. Just like that: comeback over, game over, and a flat tire for the populous St. Louis chapter of the Warner bandwagon.

"It's always more disappointing," Warner said, "when you're in a situation like that and don't get it done."

As he dressed in the spartan home locker room, Warner couldn't shake a look of disgust and dejection. Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill quietly moved in to offer Warner some encouraging words.

"We were right there," Warner told Bidwill. "Right there."

In his first game against the team that gave him his first chance in 1999 and his release in 2004, Warner started slowly. With three fumbles (one lost) and an interception in the first half, Warner looked like he'd fulfill the doom-and-gloom prophecies of his critics. He looked like another relic, left in the desert. Not so fast ...

Warner feels he has something to prove, but for unselfish reasons. He claims he's never lost confidence in his ability. And in the second half, Warner just...
            -09-19-2005, 05:23 AM
          • talkstoangels61
            Warner lighting it up!
            by talkstoangels61
            For everyone who thought Warner was washed up needs to watch KW just having a hay day against the ****** He looks great! can't help it I have always believed that MM should have been canned instead of KW! I love MB but, he is NO KW!
            -09-10-2006, 02:05 PM
          • Guam rammer
            Kurt Warner
            by Guam rammer
            Super happy to know that he began his career as a Ram and brought them to the SB twice with a 1-1 record (would've been 2-0 if the cheats were'nt cheats) And who knows, if Mad Mike didnt pull the plug too soon we could've probably gotten more. All Warner was missing yesterday was some DBs and STEVEN JACKSON!!!
            -01-17-2010, 01:41 AM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Bernie: Kurt Warner Writes His Own Ending
            by r8rh8rmike
            Kurt Warner writes his own ending

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            01/30/2010

Ten years ago today, the Rams won the Super Bowl. The winning touchdown pass was a 73-yard dream from Kurt Warner to Isaac Bruce that floated above the reach of the Tennessee Titans and straight into history. It was magic. One flick of Warner's right wrist, and all of those sad, sorry, losing Sundays disappeared.

Friday afternoon, Kurt Warner said goodbye as a player. At a news conference in Arizona, No. 13 announced his retirement after 12 NFL seasons and one of the most unusual and improbable careers in the history of American sports.

Watching it, I wanted to be sad. I wanted to turn back the clock. I wanted to make the last few seasons of Rams football go away, just as Warner and his teammates made all of those bad memories go away in 1999.

I can't believe it's been 10 years since the 1999 season, and the rollout of "The Greatest Show on Turf," Warner to Bruce, Mike Jones and "The Tackle," and the triumph of Super Bowl XXXIV.

But as I watched Warner explain his decision to move into another phase of his life, the melancholy lifted. Let's realize how fortunate he is. Warner leaves with his health intact to savor a fulfilling life with Brenda and their seven children. Warner exits the stage as a winner, having led futile franchises in St. Louis and Arizona to three Super Bowl trips.

Warner departs on his terms. He isn't broken down. His skills haven't deteriorated. He didn't stay too long. Warner wasn't an aging Willie Mays losing a fly ball in the sun in 1973. He wasn't a diminished Muhammad Ali, getting battered by Larry Holmes. He wasn't Michael Jordan, fading into irrelevance in the odd colors of the Washington Wizards. He wasn't John Unitas, limping around as a San Diego Charger.

How many star athletes know when to leave on time? Not many. A list of those who managed to pull it off includes Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Sandy Koufax, Larry Bird, Ted Williams, Ozzie Smith. Well, place Warner's name among them.

And that's why I'm happy for Warner. He won. In a few years, he went from tossing cans of greenbeans to co-workers on the overnight shift at the Hy-Vee store to throwing the TD pass that won a Super Bowl. How many athletes realize their wildest dreams? How many athletes can retire knowing that they enhanced their sport? Or that they inspired millions of fans through their display of perseverance and personal character?

"I wanted people to remember that anything is possible," Warner said at his news conference. "With my story, and the fact that it took me so long to get here, I know there are a lot of people that gravitate to that part of it. That understand the struggles. That ... understand when it takes a little bit longer...
            -01-30-2010, 01:15 PM
          Working...
          X