Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From O.J's Atogwe's hometown

From Windsor, Ontario

Hey fellow rams fans, very happy to join ClanRam, and looking forward to discuss my favourite NFL team.

I've been a rams fan since I started watching football and was cemented as my favourite team when they drafted hometown hero Atogwe in the 2005 draft.

Re: From O.J's Atogwe's hometown

Welcome to the clan.....love having OJ on the team.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: From O.J's Atogwe's hometown

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        NFL countdown: Herman grad Atogwe poised to make local football history in draft
        by Nick
        NFL countdown: Herman grad Atogwe poised to make local football history in draft
        Dave Waddell
        Windsor Star
        Friday, April 22, 2005

O.J. Atogwe has never had much time for television.

But, when he sits down to watch this weekend's NFL draft, Atogwe will be at the centre of his own reality show.

The Windsor native, only the third player to lead the Stanford Cardinal in tackles for three straight seasons, is expected to become the first area athlete selected in the NFL draft.

Windsor's Jerry Kauric, Tecumseh's Brett Romberg and Ed Philion of Essex have played in an NFL regular season game but none of them were drafted.

"It would be a great honour," said Atogwe, a free safety who is projected by NFL draft experts to be selected between the third and fifth rounds.

"Growing up in Windsor and attending Herman, I saw a lot of great athletes. Guys I looked up to and learned from. I've done all I can to help myself and I expect nothing but good things to happen Saturday."

Atogwe plans to watch his future unfold with his family and friends in Forest Glade.

"My life is going to change," the five-foot-11, 219-pound Atogwe said.

"I've wanted to play in the NFL since I started playing football. This is what the hard work and sacrifices have been for."

At Stanford, Atogwe was team MVP in 2003 and an honourable mention Pac-10 All-Conference selection this season.

He finished tied for eighth on the school's all-time interception list (eight) and won the Jack Huston Award for aggressiveness, exceptional on-field excellence and unheralded effort in 2004.

The 23-year-old Atogwe was also a two-sport athlete (track and field, football) and an honour student while studying pre-med. He plans to resume his medical studies after his pro football career.

"I've been motivated to succeed by the great opportunity my parents gave me by coming to Canada from Nigeria," said Atogwe, one of four siblings. I've always tried to uphold our family name in the best light possible to honour my father and grandfather.

"Sometimes, it's hard to express to my family how much they mean to me. It's a great feeling knowing I'm finally going to be able to do something for them to show how much I love them."

After taking care of his family financially, Atogwe's big splurge for himself will be an Apple IPod.

Atogwe's older brother Maha, a second-year cornerback/halfback with the Edmonton Eskimos, admits the family is more nervous than O.J. about the draft Saturday and Sunday.

"It's a great day of celebration for all of us," Maha Atogwe said. "My parents came to Canada to give us a better life, but they never imagined this. I've been nervous for him since...
        -04-23-2005, 07:50 PM
      • J.P.
        Hey guys, question about OJ Atogwe
        by J.P.
        Hey guys, whats going on.

I'm a Miami fan, and I was wondering what you guys think are the chances that the Rams let Atogwe hit the market. FS is a position the Dolphins must address and adding OJ would be huge.

I thought that the chances were greater that he would get tagged, than not, but now with such a defensive minded HC coming in, you have to think that he definitely gets tagged, am I wrong?

Thanks,
        J.P.

And P.S. Don't worry Ram fans, it'll get better. You guys play in a very weak division, and a couple of key additions along the offensive line, and I think you guys have a shot at quite a few wins. Spag should get your D fixed up.
        -01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
      • MauiRam
        Rams safety O.J. Atogwe has guts ..
        by MauiRam
        Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 2, 2009 5:21 PM ET
        Rams franchise player O.J. Atogwe is a player that likes to take risks; he's forced 33 turnovers since the start of 2006, the most in the NFL.

Apparently, the Canadian born player's risk-taking extends beyond the field.

***** coach Mike Singletary told the Sacramento Bee Friday that the safety is dating Singletary's daughter. Atogwe heads to San Francisco this week to face the ***** and a potentially awkward conversation.

Luckily for Atogwe, Singletary is cool with the arrangement.

"He's a very nice guy," said Singletary. "He's a gentleman. He's been to my home several times and we've had conversations, not about football, but about life."

We often talk about a player's bravery going over the middle or playing through pain, but dating the opposing coach's daughter when the coach is Mike Singletary is a true act of valor.

Extra! Extra! Rams safety dating coach's daughter
        I always knew that Rams safety O.J. Atogwe was a good safety. But the lengths he'll go to learn about his opponents is positively heroic. Atogwe, as it turns out, is dating Singletary's second-oldest daughter, Jill. What's more amazing is that he's lived to tell about it ...

"He's a very nice guy," said Singletary, who seemed perfectly fine with the relationship. "He's a gentleman. He's been to my home several times and we've had conversations, not about football, but about life."

After going to high school at Valley Christian, Singletary said his daughter decided to attend art school in Chicago. That's where she met Atogwe, 28, who attended Kellogg Business school at Northwestern University as part of the NFL Business Management and Entrepreneurial Program in March this year. Atogwe also played collegiately at Stanford. Jill Singletary now attends the San Francisco Academy of Art and plays volleyball for the school. Atogwe is one of the best safeties in the league. Since becoming a full-time starter in 2006, his 33 turnovers is tops in the NFL. The Rams made him their franchise player in the offseason.

Entangling alliances aren't new to the Rams-***** rivalry. Alex Smith's uncle, John L. Smith, was a scout for the Rams when Scott Linehan was their coach.

Who's Alex Smith? Anyone know??
        -10-03-2009, 12:20 PM
      • RamWraith
        Atogwe hopes to remain with Rams
        by RamWraith
        Third-year free safety topped NFC with eight interceptions
        BY STEVE KORTE
        News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --After leading the NFC in interceptions this season, St. Louis Rams free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe will be one of the more attractive restricted free agents this spring.

The Rams will retain matching rights to an any offer Atogwe receives. They'll also receive compensation in the form of draft picks from any team signing Atogwe depending on what level of one-year tender offer they make to him.

The Rams would be wise to tender Atogwe at a first-round level to dissuade teams from pursuing him.

"I don't even worry about all of that," Atogwe said of being a restricted free agent. "My job is to come out here and work hard and play, and that all takes care of itself. It's not even a concern of mine."

Asked whether he wanted to remain with the Rams, Atogwe said: "I definitely enjoy being here. I don't know what my future holds. I'm just going to continue to count my blessings and see what happens."

Atogwe said the Rams' 3-13 season didn't dampen his desire to return to the team.

"It's not like we were a 3-13 team with guys who didn't like each other or guys who just didn't care about their jobs," Atogwe said. "There wasn't that feeling at all. We just had some bad breaks, and we didn't capitalize on some opportunities we had.

"It's not a situation where we have a bunch of losers in the locker room. I'd love to come back here."

Atogwe picked off his eighth pass of the season in the Rams' 48-19 season-ending loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

Atogwe returned the interception 52 yards late in the third quarter for his first NFL touchdown.

"I wasn't really able to enjoy it because I was feeling so bad, but I hadn't had a pick six since maybe high school," Atogwe said. "It's definitely a long time coming and something I'll cherish."

Atogwe played against the Cardinals despite battling a stomach virus.

"It was never a situation where I wasn't going to play," Atogwe said. "It was just how much could I take, how much could I get through. I was throwing up all day, all morning. The team needed me, and I'm just here to serve."

Atogwe's eight interceptions ranked second in the NFL behind the 10 grabbed by San Diego's Antonio Cromartie.

It's also the most interceptions by a Rams player since Dexter McCleon had eight in 2000.

"It's a great honor," Atogwe said of leading the NFC in interceptions. "There's a lot of great football players in the NFC and AFC. I'm truly blessed."

Atogwe, a third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft out of Stanford, said his personal accomplishments in his...
        -01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
      • RamWraith
        Atogwe steps up as a takeaway artist for the Rams
        by RamWraith
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        12/11/2008

Oshiomogho Atogwe's nickname is "O.J.," but an update may be necessary. Something along the lines of "O.J., the Human Takeaway" may be more appropriate.

Atogwe got off to a slow start this season because of a hamstring injury that sidelined him for most of training camp and the preseason. But beginning with an interception against Buffalo in Game 4, Atogwe has been a takeaway waiting to happen.

In seven of the past 10 games, Atogwe has been responsible for at least one takeaway, either in the form of an interception, a fumble recovery, or a forced fumble recovered by a Rams teammate.

"O.J.'s a heck of a football player," coach Jim Haslett said recently. "I think people are starting to recognize that. The guy's a ball magnet. He does a great job punching the balls out."

Say what you will about the Rams' struggling defense, it's hard to argue with Atogwe's numbers. In 13 games this season, the Rams have 17 takeaways. Atogwe has been responsible for 10 of them.

He has four interceptions, recovered two fumbles, and four of his forced fumbles have been recovered by teammates. Atogwe returned one of those recovered fumbles 75 yards for a key touchdown in the Rams' 19-17 victory over Washington.

"My mother told me a long time ago: 'Everybody has their time,' " Rams cornerback Jonathan Wade said. "Whatever you're doing, you have a time that's your time. You wonder how Ed Reed will end up year after year with eight, nine interceptions? How Ray Lewis has 100-something tackles?

"There's no way to explain it, I don't think. It's just his time. He's very focused; very anointed by God right now."

Atogwe didn't seem all that "anointed" coming out of Stanford in 2005.

"When he first got here, he didn't have the best ball skills," Haslett said. "He worked on it and worked on it."

Atogwe made it a point and still does to come in on Tuesdays, the players' normal day off during the regular sesason, and work on those ball skills.

"It was one of the weaknesses that I felt I had that I wasn't making a lot of plays as far as interceptions on the ball," Atogwe said.

On Tuesdays, equipment assistant Matt Taylor operates a JUGS machine that spits out football after football Atogwe's way.

"He'll do anywhere between 200 and 300 balls, and I'll just catch them," Atogwe said. "He shoots them to me from all different angles."

Slowly but surely, Atogwe's hand-eye coordination improved, and so did his interception totals. After recording just one interception in limited playing time as a rookie, Atogwe picked off three passes in 2006, his first season as a starter. Last...
        -12-11-2008, 04:09 AM
      Working...
      X