X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rams_fan81
    started a topic Woah, it has been a while

Woah, it has been a while

I'm not new here but I haven't been to the site in a few years. I started poking around and I am excited to come back to the community. It is strange seeing all the names and avatars that seemed so familiar to me so long ago and it is incredible how the group of mods and core members have kept the forum active.

It is also nice to be out of that 18 and under section; although, I am positive I was part of the reason it was created and looking back through my past posts I understand the necessity of it.

Related Topics

Collapse

• thoey
    Too Political?
    by thoey
    RamWraith and All in general,

RW, I am posting this openly as I am really not trying to flame you for it. You made a judgement call on what you thought was right, whether I agree or not has nothing to do with it.

That being said, I think that in the general forum, a post asking for signatures to help persuede our government to consider putting poverty and AIDS victims on our agenda is not "too much political".

Please don't get me wrong, I am not a drum beater for every cause that comes along. I just happened to see this as a ad on my mailers web page. First ad like that I have EVER clicked on cause it was interesting.

The more I read about it, especially the fact that it wasn't asking for a dime out of my pocket, but asking for a signature to try to get a dollar of my tax money sent to help, the more it was easy for me.

This wasn't a REP vs. DEM or LIB vs Greenies debate. I didn't care if anyone posted back. It was more an informational thing. Maybe ten people saw it before it was deleted, but maybe one went and clicked. That was all I was after. I wouldn't have clicked if I didn't see it.

Now, I am not going to rant about censorship or anything. I just think the trigger was a little hastily pulled in this instance.
    -05-24-2006, 08:37 PM
  • RamsInfiniti
    What is going on here?
    by RamsInfiniti
    That's the question I have to ask ...

ClanRam is EASILY the greatest Rams forum on the internets today. Take a minute, go visit some of the other forums out there, and it won't take you long to realize this ...

I have paid my dues, I do every year, and I am a premium member here. I love supporting this site. I have had my issues with some folks here, some prominent folks through the times, and despite that, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here ...

This board has great members, some very intelligent Rams fans, and I have loved discussing football with many of you from day one ...

But what in the world has happened to the quality of the posts here lately? I don't know if it is all the new members, if the newer members are afraid to express their opinions, or what it is. But I am seeing more one-liners than ever, more repeat posts and topics than ever, more one sided discussions that ever ...

It's seems to be a great time to be a Rams fan, but something just doesn't seem right around here. I cannot seem to pinpoint it, and maybe I am the only one, but I've found these forums very hard to read over the past couple of weeks. Maybe my comfort level is down because I am seeing so many new faces, but it seems like I am having to pick through alot of jibberish to find the posts that I really want to read and see ...

I am just wondering if it's only me, or if others are feeling the same way. During this great offseason, one of the best we've had in a decade, I would really like to be jumping for joy and sharing this with others, but for some reason something seems off ....

Hmmmm, I don't know, maybe I am just nuts ...
    -03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
  • AvengerRam_old
    OFF TOPIC: A few words about our MODERATED message boards
    by AvengerRam_old
    I wanted to share with you all my recent experiences at another site (Seahawks.net).

I had been a member there for a while, and had regarded it as a very good fan site where opposing fans could have good conversations about football. Unfortunately, as their team has grown more popular with its success, it now has become inundated by many younger fans who... let's just say... don't exactly engage in the highest level of discourse.

The first mistake was mine. I ventured into their "Smack Shack," thinking that it was a place for some light-hearted banter. Instead, I was attacked personally (one person went as far as to attempt to cyber-stalk me, which finally resulted in intervention by their Mods). This was a good reminder of why we don't have a smack board here anymore. I can tell you that, as a Mod, attempting to police a forum of that type is difficult, to say the least.

I then went to their NFL board and attempted to join the discussion. I posted a thread, for example, pointing out that Sam Bradford's #s this year belie the contention (frequently expressed at Seahawks.net) that he's a "bust" who needs to be replaced immediately. This prompted a wave of responses that were barely distinguishable from the Smack Shack threads (pretty much a similar tone with a bit less profanity).

Now, you all know me, and I'm not the type to just back down, so I responded to these posts with my typical blend of sarcasm and snarky comments. Maybe I should have just walked away, but at this point, I really didn't care. Ultimately, enough people complained about my responses (irony) that the Mods banned me.

My point in telling this story is not to rip the Mods at that site. Having been a Mod here, I understand that, sometimes you have to take the Bill Cosby approach to parenting (i.e. "parents aren't interested in justice... they want quiet!")

My point is to hold this up as an example of why we run things the way we do around here. As Seahawks.net shows, once you open the door to "smack," it impacts the site as a whole. Those who are more interested in acting like internet tough guys then they are in talking football will always push that envelope.

We here at ClanRam (or, more accurately, Dez) have tried to provide a site that keeps the discussion at a high level. We recognize that there is a % of fans who prefer a more "open forum," and frequent other sites as a result. That's fine with us. We would rather have a site that fans - of any team - can visit to discuss football without the fear of being attacked. We're not perfect and, at times, we Mods (myself included, certainly) must reign in ourselves to ensure that nobody feels like their views are not welcome. But I think we've done a pretty good job of meeting our goal.

If anyone from Seahawks.net is reading this, I hope you don't misunderstand. I fully respect...
    -10-18-2013, 07:48 AM
  • NJ Ramsfan1
    Decorum on the Forum
    by NJ Ramsfan1
    When I joined this forum a year ago, I anticipated talking with a lot of knowledgable fellow Rams fans and have not been disappointed. The conversations have been good ones and many times thought provoking. But the one peeve I have is that there are a few on board who seem to delight in arguing even the most benign observations, offer sarcastic responses or generally try to draw the ire of the poster. I think it's unnecessary and detracts from the Forum.

I'm certainly not talking about challenging someone's opinion- which is the way we generate discussion, offer viewpoints and talk over an issue. It's the picking apart of every word a person says and the intolerance shown by some in making their own point on an issue. Some of those who use the buzz phrases about "having patience", "being positive", "showing your loyalty", etc. also seem to feel that the best way to get their message across is to try to make the other person feel like an idiot.

Everyone on this forum has varying degrees of knowledge about the Rams- some more than others, depending on age, experience, etc. No one needs to be beaten over the head with an "I have more knowledge than you" post in tone, if not actual words.

I am one of many on the board whose opinions are occassionally rejected- which is fine if the criticisms are fair. I have occassionally used frustration in responding to someone I thought missed the boat completely- which is wrong. I include myself when I say that a better overall effort must be made to respond in kind to posts we don't necessarily agree with.

I think the losing has gotten to many of us.
    -12-05-2009, 06:22 AM
  • AvengerRam_old
    I'm going to continue to fight for the soul of this website.
    by AvengerRam_old
    There are a lot of Rams fan sites on the web. I post on one. This one.

Why?

Because this one, at its core, is different.

At its core, this is a site where the discussions are a bit more civil, a bit more rational, and a bit more intelligent than what I've seen at other sites (in the case of the PD boards, you can replace the words "a bit" with "a lot").

We have our disagreements, no doubt. But that is a good thing. I've disagreed with r8rh8rmike many times over the years, but I consider him a friend. Bigredman loves to take potshots at my optimism, but he's one of the people I look forward to seeing every year at the Bash. Fat Pang and I have butted heads like... well... like a couple of bighorn rams, but I respect him as much as any poster here.

Lately, however (and not for the first time), we've had an influx of posters who seem to view a forum as something other than a place for an exchange of ideas. Best I can tell, they view it as a place to come when they need to vent.

As a Moderator, I accept the "right" to come here for the sole purpose of venting frustration and negativity (provided that the expression conforms with the board's rules).

As a long-time poster, who views ClanRam as my internet "home" as a Rams fan, I find the negative interlopers to be a drain on the overall enjoyment of the website. To be honest, in recent weeks, I've entertained the notion that maybe it would be better just to avoid this place until the season starts (at least then we can argue about things that actually matter).

Well... the Hell with that! I, for one, am not turning these boards over to those who have no interest in contributing to this place, but only wish to use it as their soundboard for negativity.

So, if you fit this description, don't be surprised if I am very frank about your overblown Chicken-Little-isms... And don't be surprised if others likewise oppose your efforts to change this site into something it is not.
    -08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Working...
X